• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I scored another Zegna jacket from the same seller as my .99 one I got on Monday. It's from the same original owner (the president of A.K. Rikk's Menswear in Michigan), very recent as well. It's a 70/30 cotton/silk blend. I can't wait to get it. Was a steal at $12. I'll get some better photos once it arrives.
!BVZ!uFQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLl1kKDBKSQwET4Fw~~_1.JPG

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Reminds me of the time I found ~75 bucks in the pocket of an old Brooks Bros. suit after I got it home... the money was ancient, from the 60's. Spent just fine though.

That reminds me of a time I fought with myself deciding whether or not to buy a pair of jeans. They were only $6, but they were unusual and I was unsure if I would ever really wear them. I bought them, got home and checked all the pockets before I washed them, only to find $12 plus a titanium ring. It turned out I wore the jeans maybe 20 times, so it was a great investment.
smile.gif

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
After a long drought, I stopped into Goodwill today while on a motorcycle ride and came home with two pairs (one medium brown, the other black) of Church's Custom grade balmoral captoes. The brown are in excellent shape (though without laces) and the black look like they will be good to go after a polish. I initially thought I'd give both pairs to my little brother as they felt a half size too small, but when I got home and changed from boot socks to thin dress socks, they seem to fit just right.

creampiggy

Reaction score
A Rinaldo Raspini solid navy suit in US46, made by Corneliani. It uses Colombo Flynder 150's wool.

A brown Burberry blazer in US44L with Nova Check lining.

They will be for trade.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Pretty good day today...

Allen Edmonds Ashton in black - barely worn $13
Johnston & Murphy Kennard Blucher in rust - new $3
Adolfo Cashmere Topcoat dark gray 40% cashmere 60% wool - $3
Lanvin eyeglasses - $2
Tom James tailored charcoal suit - $1
Oscar de la Renta glen plaid blazer - $1

I saw 6 or 7 pair of AE's today, 4 barely worn, but only the one usable by me. Weird sizes. One 7, two 14's, and a 15.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got another Zegna jacket today. It's more bronze than burned orange as the seller described it, but it's still very nice and I only paid $12 for it. I'm thinking it will look great with a black turtle-neck sweater. 70% cotton. 30% silk. There's one more Zegna jacket on the way. This one is a blue windowpane pattern.
DSC05179.jpg
DSC05180.jpg
DSC05181.jpg

e92m3

Reaction score
Saw these shoes at a local thrift. Weren't my size so left them alone. Does anyone recognize the insignia? Hard to see with my camera phone but it said: "All British Custom Style, Makers for HRH" in the middle. Viribus Unitis around the outside and "The Duke of York" below.

speizer

Reaction score
Found a Brooks Brothers 3 pc wool suit from the 70's, $6.50

It's tagged a 40r but it was clearly for someone large in the waist; I bought it for my brother who is 6'0 165lbs but the waist in the pants and jacket are too big.

If anyone's interested I can supply additional measurements/pics otherwise its going to the bay.

The suit is a grayish-brown color with faint blue/red check, the best pic color wise is the vest.

p1000747.jpg

p1000752.jpg

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by e92m3
Saw these shoes at a local thrift. Weren't my size so left them alone. Does anyone recognize the insignia? Hard to see with my camera phone but it said:

"All British Custom Style, Makers for HRH" in the middle. Viribus Unitis around the outside and "The Duke of York" below.

Sweet Jesus! I have no idea what they are but I doubt they came from JCPenney. What size are they?

e92m3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Sweet Jesus! I have no idea what they are but I doubt they came from JCPenney. What size are they?

I believe they were a size 10 or 10.5. They're on my way to work each morning so I can take a closer look.

e92m3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Snatch them up if the price is right. I'll bet you could move them in a day on the B/S or trading post. Anything with "Makers for HRH", which is "His Royal Highness" IIRC, has got to be decent.

Will do tomorrow morning and post better quality pictures then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth