The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Purchased from a local thrift store. Here are the pictures of the sole and the inside markings. I haven't been able to find anything searching Google.
    Offhand I don't recognize those details.

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Me neither, but the channelled sole suggests quality.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

One more 99 cent Zegna sport coat. This one is more toned down than the last: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

This one is more toned down than the last:

Is that Nataku speak for; "better than anything you amateurs have ever found"?

[​IMG]

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

^Very nice. Anyone want to guess the age of this awesome wool shirt I found? [​IMG] Judging by the overall aesthetic -- big red plaid, large shiny black buttons, heavy wool -- I'd think '40s or '50s, but it's easy to assume things are older than they really are. It's in mint condition other than the label. Found it at an antiques/junk store. One of those places that price at a premium, but the shirt was untagged, so they sold it to me for $3. Even if it's not that old, I'm pretty pleased. I've been looking for a vintage shirt/shirt jac like this for a long time, but usually they are damaged or soiled.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Is that Nataku speak for; "better than anything you amateurs have ever found"? [​IMG]
    Haha, not at all. I was reffering to the last Zegna jacket I got and had posted about; the bronze cotton/silk one that my fiance absolutely despises. Doc, nice find! I'd estimate late 40's on the jacket judging by the label.

7. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Haha, not at all. I was reffering to the last Zegna jacket I got and had posted about; the bronze cotton/silk one that my fiance absolutely despises.

I remember it. It is better than every sportcoat I own except the Samuelson you sold me a few months back.

I was just busting your chops. Jealousy mostly... [​IMG]

I found 4 pristine Chipp suits yesterday, all in my size. Unfortunately, my wife was with me and noticed that the store offers a 40% discount every Tuesday (taking each one from $35 down to $21). So, she demanded I wait until next Tuesday to buy them. This is going to be a long weekend.

8. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

Damn! Nice finds, I never find anything nicer than old Florshiems...

+1

9. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

haven't posted on here in a while, but some recent finds are:

Scabal 100% Silk silver/beige peak lapel 2-button blazer for Shangri La Hotel with gold buttons
    Holland & Sherry black corduroy 2-button suit for Shangri La Hotel also with flashy buttons
    Holland & Sherry Tom James slate blue cashmere or cashmere blend suit w/ surgeon cuffs
    Holland & Sherry Tom James grey windowpane blazer
    Luigi Borrelli beige dress shirt
    RLPL yellow/blue check dress shirt
    RLPL beige polo shirt
    2 Lorenzini beige dress shirts

10. Loggia

Loggia Active Member

yesterday:

3 Boss Orange dress shirts @ 50% off
    1 Dark brown McGregor sportcoat 100% linen, unlined. marked down from €300 to €99,-
    1 Light grey Matinique sportcoat 100% linen, fully lined. marked down from €280 to €70,-
    4 Suitsupply pocketsquares all for €7,- a piece

Yeah I know, thrifting in the Netherlands is not awesome...

11. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I found 4 pristine Chipp suits yesterday, all in my size. Unfortunately, my wife was with me and noticed that the store offers a 40% discount every Tuesday (taking each one from $35 down to $21). So, she demanded I wait until next Tuesday to buy them. This is going to be a long weekend.

If the suits are a good fit for you and you like them I wouldn't wait. The Chipp stuff can be really great and it's unlikely you will come across anything similar for a long time. I know the price of regret and it's more than fourteen dollars. My two cents.

12. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

If the suits are a good fit for you and you like them I wouldn't wait. The Chipp stuff can be really great and it's unlikely you will come across anything similar for a long time. I know the price of regret and it's more than fourteen dollars. My two cents.

+1000

13. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

+1000

I hear you, brothers. I've been sitting here sweating it all day and I decided to pick them up on the way home. My wife will survive...

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hear you, brothers. I've been sitting here sweating it all day and I decided to pick them up on the way home. My wife will survive...

Take them straight to the dry cleaners and don't pick them up until late next week. Speak no more of it forever.

15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Take them straight to the dry cleaners and don't pick them up until late next week. Speak no more of it forever.

This man knows what he's talking about.

Sage advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.