• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Just got a lucky haul for ~ 65.00.

Outstanding.

Originally Posted by mainy
Had one of my better finds in quite a while... 10 vintage hermes ties, $11 with tax

Out F-----g Standing.

worship2.gif

pejsek

Reaction score
After a long bespoke drought, three-piece glen plaid Huntsman suit--one-button sb jacket, lapeled vest, braceback trousers. Cloth is a fairly heavy flannel with a red windowpane. In short, not much of an inconspicuous ensemble. Made for one of my old friends before he started putting on weight. I can hardly wait to get out the old Henry Maxwell captoes and give it a ride. The ladies at the shop knew what I had. They threw in the Thurston braces but wouldn't part with the Huntsman hanger. Can't win them all. Five dollars.
On the way home I found a fifty dollar bill in the Safeway parking lot. Perhaps I really should buy a lottery ticket for the first time in my life.

mco543

Reaction score
Robert Talbott green/purple striped tie
Hathaway Platinum shirt white with a blue and white windowpane very pretty design. Never heard of the company though

total price 2.00

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Had one of my better finds in quite a while... 10 vintage hermes ties, $11 with tax

Nice!

I found the rarest of all thrift finds today: what I specifically looking for. In this case a pair of full heel shoe trees (with the little wooden knob handles) for my new-tom-me shell LHS. I stopped by the thrift store with just such a pair in mind. They fit the shoes perfectly.

pejsek

Reaction score
Mini streak going. This morning vintage SAB golf umbrella with straight maple handle and tartan canopy. $2.49

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Wow, nice find and great luck on the $50! Do buy a lottery ticket, it's worth a shot!

Reminds me of the time I found ~75 bucks in the pocket of an old Brooks Bros. suit after I got it home... the money was ancient, from the 60's. Spent just fine though.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Decent day yesterday. For $3.99, like new black Gucci slacks, lightweight wool and a touch of elastolin, slim flat front, button fly, signature horn buttons and lot of hand work, and my waist size... And a nice TM Levin made-in-England shirt, $7.99.

inq89

Reaction score
Buy one get one free today. A BB white dress shirt, a JosBank pink OCBD, a vintage Yale Co Op repp tie (love this find) and a random Hilfiger tie since it came free. All for less than $5.

pejsek

Reaction score
Sometimes lightning does indeed strike twice. Until today I've never found an umbrella even remotely worth bothering with at a thrift. But this morning the Swaine Adeney Brigg golf umbrella jumped out at me; lots of fun even if not the most elegant thing (and it will provide excellent coverage for the kids on our walk to school). This afternoon I stopped in at a different shop and ran into a completely different sort of beast--an ancient black canopy number with a wonderful malacca and plaited leather crook. The frame and canopy are pretty much shot, but isn't the battle pretty much over if you actually have to unfurl the thing? Second price same as the first. $2.49

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad day. Four Tyrwhitt shirts, two brand new with the cardboard still around the necks and one of those is a 180s. The other two may have been worn and laundered once. $.99 for a Brooks Brothers olive poplin in perfect condition. And, a pair of Larkspur Collection needlepoint shoes for my wife. She likes to think I do all of this thrifting for her. The men's items are just a lucky by-product.
inlove.gif

EBTX66

Reaction score
Congratulations to all of my brother thirfters! It sounds like our luck is finally starting to change.

I am visiting my mom in the small Louisiana town where she still lives. There is this ancient men's clothing "warehouse" here in town. 20 years ago when I was an undergrad this store sold vintage clothes. At that time all I was interested in were the things that looked Armani/Boss-ish. Then, in the 90's after I was gone all of the 60's flavor items were cleaned out.

On a whim I stopped in this weekend. The store was still open and what was left were all of the "Mad Men" vintage pieces from the 50's and early 60's. Most of the tailored clothing was wrecked but I found a custom sharkskin mohair suit in "like new" shape in my size. I also picked up two pairs of Floesheim Imperials still in the box and wrapped in yellowing paper from the factory. All for $80. It wasn't completely a steal but still a find.

He has racks and racks to dig through so it'll take many more visits to clean him out...

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
After a long bespoke drought, three-piece glen plaid Huntsman suit--one-button sb jacket, lapeled vest, braceback trousers. Cloth is a fairly heavy flannel with a red windowpane. In short, not much of an inconspicuous ensemble. Made for one of my old friends before he started putting on weight. I can hardly wait to get out the old Henry Maxwell captoes and give it a ride. The ladies at the shop knew what I had. They threw in the Thurston braces but wouldn't part with the Huntsman hanger. Can't win them all. Five dollars.
On the way home I found a fifty dollar bill in the Safeway parking lot. Perhaps I really should buy a lottery ticket for the first time in my life.

I lost 50 dollars today near that area. I'll give you my mailing address so you can return that to me
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth