The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I hit a certain thrift store everyday because it's so close to home. It helps a lot me on my other hobby (vinyl records) but sucks clothing-wise. I do have a circuit that do I once a week ( 3 Sallys and a Goodwill)

2. sarcasticfolly

sarcasticfolly Senior member

Just found some Brooks Brothers Cordovan Cap-Toes that I might pick up, nearly brand new (price sticker is still partially attached to sole) with minor discoloration on one shoe, ~$69 I believe.

3. DoTheGrownup

DoTheGrownup Senior member

Yeah, I've never ventured into the SOF. It used to be an actual Saks Fifth Ave until about 6 years ago when the main Saks store left and they turned it into an Off Fifth. Since there is no other Saks store in Minnesota, it makes me curious where they get the stuff from. Obviously from the next closest Saks store, but I have no idea where that is. With that said, the discount spot I go to that usually has good stuff gets stuff from the outlet/main store that can't be sold ie: shopworn stuff, MTM stuff that was never picked up, alterations that had begun but never finished, stains, smudges and some stuff is just wrinkled. I've found nice stuff there, though (Fray, Borrelli, Isaia, David Chu, Barbera, Zegna....).

Only a small percentage of the stuff at Off 5th was ever in a regular Saks store. Most of it is overstock stuff bought from wholesalers, just like at Nordstrom Rack. For example, I recently saw a whole rack of HF suits at Off 5th with the model name "Neiman Marcus". You can spot the stuff that came from Saks by the original SFA hangtags. It's usually the best stuff in the store, mostly suits, sport coats, and ties. I've never seen shoes there like this.

It's not necessarily the case that SFA merch in the Off 5th store comes from the closest Saks. One time when I saw a bunch of high end (Kiton, Brioni, Oxxford, etc) stuff in there, the SA told me they sometimes move that stuff around from store to store until it all sells. In the case of the Kiton stuff, it's my understanding that it probably could only come from Miami or (more recently) New York.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Autographed Leon Redbone LP, $.69.

[​IMG]

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Wow, that's an awesome find. Do you collect vinyl as well, Alan? On a similar note, I picked up some vinyl goodies as well from the thrifts today. Also had my first clothing find in what seems like forever: A blue/white pinstripe Oxxford suit in Windsor Flannel for $10. It's dated 1975 but has a surprisingly modern cut. Slim jacket, high button stance w/ 3 button front and slim flat-front trousers. 40R, pity it's too small for me. Will go to the trading post for a bit. [​IMG] [​IMG] - Scored this poorly advertised Zegna sportcoat for 99 cents plus $6.50 S/H [​IMG] And I found this neat mid-century end table for $9. Here is the base (it's at my office) and the glass top is in the car. The glass in mint, no scuffs or scratches. I'll take a pic of it set up when I get it home. I have just the place for this. [​IMG]

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

Had the grand opening of the first Savers in our area today, stopped by that. Holy overpriced crap Batman! They had some nice shirts (few paul smith, d&g, Turnbull and asser) but at 15 to 20 bucks a piece, are you kidding me? All the pants were $10-15, and most of them total junk - used Dockers for 10 bucks, yikes. Yet they had people packed in there, and seemingly thrilled. I was blown away - what a business model, trick people into thinking you're running a charity, when it's really an incredibly overpriced for profit thrift store. Yikes. Needless to say, I did not buy anything. They did have some nice vintage overcoats though, which were the most reasonably priced things in the store at 10-15 bucks.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ All the Savers I've been to are like this, though they do seem to sort through the clothes a little better and weed out the stained and frayed Stafford/Van Heusen shirts. IIRC, some money does go to charity (they buy clothes from charities who don't have a sales outlet, like the Cancer Society for example...well in Minnesota anyway), but not all proceeds go to chairty. I don't go there much as they are too overpriced for my liking. Another over-priced thrift chain around here is called Unique Thrift Stores. Went in once and never will again.

8. mco543

mco543 Senior member

Today i found a charcoal with light blue pinstripe Brooks Brothers Makers suit for 12.00 and 2 more Dior ties for the collection at 2.00 each.

Can anyone give me some info on the BB suit? Where does that line fall in their grand scheme of things?

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^^ Wow, that's an awesome find. Do you collect vinyl as well, Alan?

No, although the idea appeals to me. I need to declutter rather than add even more stuff.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Got the table home, not quite sure what to put on it yet - I just tossed some books in it for the time being. It works well with my sofa but I think it clashes with my cube shelf - that may be getting moved soon. [​IMG]

11. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

All the pants were $10-15, and most of them total junk - used Dockers for 10 bucks, yikes.

Dont Dockers go for around that price new? [​IMG]

The savers in texas isnt that bad, but i have noticed that like all their polo shirts are $8 plus no matter what the brand is......... retarded

12. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I never realized that Savers was a thrift store; I always thought it was a Dollar General type store. Thanks for the info.

Hit my nicer thrift shop and picked up a pair of Paul Stuart forward pleat khaki gabardine trousers for $8. I decided to stop at the really ratty thrift just down the road even though they have never had anything before. Picked up a 3/2, center-vented, forward pleat, fully-canvassed Southwick flannel suit in navy for $2.49! It has barely been worn, but then again, it probably still won't be because it's at least 14oz wool, That means there'll be about 3 days each year where it will be cool enought to wear it. Oh well, who can complain for $2.49? Of course, I failed to mention to my wife the additional $80 of tailoring for fine-tuning and working sleeve buttons. [​IMG]

13. sonofstan

sonofstan Member

Nice Zegna Su Misura Jacket, Profeo Silk, Dark blue with light blue pinstripe - it's a 36R, and my real size is the impossible 36L, so I usually settle for a 38R or L , but this fits OK: the waist is on my waist, the sleeves, perhaps a cm too short. Anyway, it was €7.50 at Vincent de Paul, so no complaints

14. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Lyle and Scott Sportcoat, $5

with big beafy vintage wood hanger and a package of extra buttons
    [​IMG]

15. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Senior member

My thrift slump continues. I saw a fairly nice Zegna sportcoat, but it had a little moth hole on the front. Disappointing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.