• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HOT Sriracha
City,

Is there a good way to prevent yellowing and to clean nosepads? I hate how the nosepads turn yellow really quickly. I have some soft rubber nosepads like on these Mykita glasses. Any recommendations for cleaning solutions would help, thanks.

2vwz05w.gif

The nosepads that you have are silicone. A very soft rubber like material, almost gel like. In any case, there are several materials for nose pads. There are materials that will not yellow and green as easily BUT they are harder. The silicone nose pads are soft and comfortable BUT they yellow much faster. They yellow from the oils from your skin and turn green from oil and dust.

Most places will only carry the silicone because comfort is one of the most important aspects of an opticals business. Any optical can change them for you. Some might charge a few dollars but at least they wont be yellow.

my0gr81

Reaction score
First post with a question, have been lurking for a while. I read the whole thread already. CC, I am looking a good quality pair, one large chain owned by a manufacturer's conglomerate sells an Oakley that looked good on my round face and another chain with a first name sells a Prada that looked even better, the Oakley come at ~$320 + $420 for photochromatic lenses and the Prada come for ~$400 but the same brand of photochromatic lenses are $175. Which one do you think is the best buy, or am I getting hosed either way?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by my0gr81
First post with a question, have been lurking for a while. I read the whole thread already. CC, I am looking a good quality pair, one large chain owned by a manufacturer's conglomerate sells an Oakley that looked good on my round face and another chain with a first name sells a Prada that looked even better, the Oakley come at ~$320 + $420 for photochromatic lenses and the Prada come for ~$400 but the same brand of photochromatic lenses are $175. Which one do you think is the best buy, or am I getting hosed either way?

Sunglass Hut and Lenscrafters/Pearle? hahaha. I would say stay about from BOTH! Either way you are getting ripped off. Go find another independent store who actually wants your business and get a better deal. I can almost guarantee that you will find a better deal. But be aware, that Oakleys margin are very small, so you will be lucky to get a big discount.

If you are debating between the 2, there are essentially from the same company, maybe even the same factory. But in any case, if you are looking for a good lens, go with the Oakleys. Pradas are not made to have good lenses. They are made to carry the name "Prada" with a nice little design that will sell.

It comes down to what you would like to buy, but keep in mind that in that price range there are a lot of other brands also. Like Salt, Serengeti, Maui Jim, Tag Heuer (I think use Zeiss lenses, but must be confirmed) , Mercebes Benz (I think use Zeiss lenses, but must be confirmed also) so on...

Good luck with your selection!

my0gr81

Reaction score
Thank CC, lots to think about. Keep in mind that these are not intended to be full time sunglasses, but will have an Essilor Transition lenses. The Oakleys Intake 4 look to be the best for form and function for me. Now I just need to find a good source in TO to buy them.

YoungM

Reaction score
Do you consider the premium one pays for brands like Oliver Peoples (and possibly salt, don't know their prices yet) to be worth it? I'm in need of a pair of glasses, and I'm considering the OP Sheldrake, Riley, or maybe something like the Salt Adler. However, at least in the case of the Oliver Peoples, they end up being far more expensive than the old stalwart, Lenscrafters.

So, is it worth it? Will the OP glasses last longer? I generally wear contacts, but would like something that will last a good while and be nice when I do wear them.

Thanks

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lenscrafters is rapetown. They've built an image on being inexpensive, and they are ******* not. Salt is worth the premium; OP slightly less so, but still good.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungM
Do you consider the premium one pays for brands like Oliver Peoples (and possibly salt, don't know their prices yet) to be worth it? I'm in need of a pair of glasses, and I'm considering the OP Sheldrake, Riley, or maybe something like the Salt Adler. However, at least in the case of the Oliver Peoples, they end up being far more expensive than the old stalwart, Lenscrafters.

So, is it worth it? Will the OP glasses last longer? I generally wear contacts, but would like something that will last a good while and be nice when I do wear them.

Thanks

In short, yes. Most smaller companies have better bang for the buck than things that come from Safilo and Lux. Smaller companies have something to prove and they wont survive without an advantage over other brands. But basically Salt and so on are worth it, just shop around for a good price.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I was wondering if You could help me identify these shades. I keep being told they are clubmasters but clubmaster dont have a black plastic rim like these.
pic.jpg

lowrider

Reaction score
I bought these frames while vacationing in Vancouver, BC last year and would like to get something similar (to use as sunglasses) from the same brand. Does anyone know where I can find these online? I believe the name of the designer is Kotake Chohbei Saku or something like that.

Thanks!

DSC00925-1.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey CC, could you shed light on some brands which I have seeen been thrown around but not too familiar with:

-Reiz
-Moscot
-Rodenstock (I know they been around for a while, but haven't handled their stuff yet)
-Derome Brenner (? Not sure if the name is spelled right)

I'm also thinking of buying a pair of rimless 999.9, but at $400 is it worth the purchase?

rjacobs

Reaction score
(following is all FWIW. I'm not an optician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night)

Lowrider: It's Kotake Chobei Saku. I didn't see any readily available in stores or on the interwebz, but I remember some frames from Dita looking a little like those, with some classy rivets and the gradient effect.

Flame: I tried on several Reiz and DeromeBrenner at Spectacles for Humans in SF. I thought the Reiz were especially impressive for the price point - I especially remember a pair that was made of three layers of acetate black-clear-black, which gave a beautiful lightening effect to a vintage look. DeromeBrenners often have very detailed construction and top-notch materials, but you pay for the production cost. Don't know anything insightful about Moscot.

insp86

Reaction score
Hey everyone:

I know absolutely nothing about eyewear. Right now I have a pair of Oakley Squarewire 2.0's I've been wearing the last couple of years. They fit really well, and I like the more square face (I have kind of a round face and I've been told more square glasses works with my face shape). They're getting a little beat up, and I'd like to upgrade to something a little more stylish/less sports-like. Generally, I just want a change of pace, and I'm looking for something to wear with jeans/polo rather than on a boat, etc. I'd say I'd pay up to $250, but I'd love to work in the $150 range. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Colors wise, I wear a lot of browns and grays, so something more understated is probably what I'm going for...

Baby Pink

Reaction score

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by insp86
Hey everyone:

I know absolutely nothing about eyewear. Right now I have a pair of Oakley Squarewire 2.0's I've been wearing the last couple of years. They fit really well, and I like the more square face (I have kind of a round face and I've been told more square glasses works with my face shape). They're getting a little beat up, and I'd like to upgrade to something a little more stylish/less sports-like. Generally, I just want a change of pace, and I'm looking for something to wear with jeans/polo rather than on a boat, etc. I'd say I'd pay up to $250, but I'd love to work in the $150 range. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Colors wise, I wear a lot of browns and grays, so something more understated is probably what I'm going for...

If you are looking for something a bit conservative and still stylish in that range, try Hugo Boss. The style is conservative, quality is mediocre, but price is good. Also you might be able to find some Maui Jims if you want better lenses. Lower priced Mont Blancs might be available too.

If you are looking to buy online, the possibilities are endless, just keep in mind there are fakes.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Hey CC, could you shed light on some brands which I have seeen been thrown around but not too familiar with:

-Reiz
-Moscot
-Rodenstock (I know they been around for a while, but haven't handled their stuff yet)
-Derome Brenner (? Not sure if the name is spelled right)

I'm also thinking of buying a pair of rimless 999.9, but at $400 is it worth the purchase?

I have not had much experience with any those brands except for Rodenstock. I used to carry them years ago when they were made in Austria. I don't know where they are made now. But I have vintage pairs that are super well made. They are the pinnacle of quality eyewear for reasonable prices. They used to retail for $300-500 for the ones that are rolled gold.

I have only touched and saw the other brands at shows and conventions. I carry equivalent brands, but not those particular ones. I know there are tons of people on SF that know MUCH MORE about these brands than me. Maybe someone can chime in....

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoffedwin291