• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good colonial history books?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always been a big Western & Central European history buff. In the process, American history fell to the wayside, and I'd like to delve a little deeper. By colonial history, I'm referring to a time frame from 1700 thru the War of 1812 (I guess this makes it colonial/early U.S. history). The books don't have to be works of popular history; suggestions on scholarly tomes are just fine. A gentleman recently recommended to me Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy. Has anyone read it?

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've always been a big Western & Central European history buff. In the process, American history fell to the wayside, and I'd like to delve a little deeper.

By colonial history, I'm referring to a time frame from 1700 thru the War of 1812 (I guess this makes it colonial/early U.S. history). The books don't have to be works of popular history; suggestions on scholarly tomes are just fine.

A gentleman recently recommended to me Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy. Has anyone read it?

American Colonies by Alan Taylor for an overview of the colonial period, A Leap in the Dark by John Ferling for the Revolution and early republic periods.

There are also a lot of great biographies of the Founding Fathers and other figures from this period - my favorite is Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've always been a big Western & Central European history buff. In the process, American history fell to the wayside, and I'd like to delve a little deeper.

By colonial history, I'm referring to a time frame from 1700 thru the War of 1812 (I guess this makes it colonial/early U.S. history). The books don't have to be works of popular history; suggestions on scholarly tomes are just fine.

A gentleman recently recommended to me Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy. Has anyone read it?

I also have a huge fascination with pre-USA history in the new world. I've read Six Frigates, and thought it was very entertaining. The author is extremely knowledgeable, and I learned a lot of things that were pretty cool.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Great Upheaval: America and the Birth of the Modern World 1788-1800, by Jay Wink. I'm currently reading it, and I have to say it appears to be one of the best works of narrative history to come along in quite some time. Very informative and gripping. I've been reading chapters at a time. One benefit from your perspective may be that it connects what happened in America from 1788-1800 to developments in France, Russia, and other parts of Europe at the same time -- thus providing a way into early American history for someone more educated in European history, as well as giving a more holistic picture of both (in that remarkable 12-year span, of course). This is the first place I ever read of John Paul Jones, the hero of the colonial navy, serving under Catherine the Great in a war against the Ottoman Empire. Fascinating stuff.

water

Reaction score
Given your pro-British sympathies I have little hesitation recommending Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes by Christopher Hibbert.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest The Boisterous Sea of Liberty by S. Mintz and D. Davis as a more traditional history text with a educational guide that's helpful to those new to the period; Letters of the Republic by Michael Warner offers a view of colonial history through the new technology of the printing press and how it created the call for revolution. If you want more on regional differences, race and class, feel free to PM me and I'll get you a list.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by life_interrupts
I'd suggest The Boisterous Sea of Liberty by S. Mintz and D. Davis as a more traditional history text with a educational guide that's helpful to those new to the period; Letters of the Republic by Michael Warner offers a view of colonial history through the new technology of the printing press and how it created the call for revolution. If you want more on regional differences, race and class, feel free to PM me and I'll get you a list.

Could you list them on here? I'm definitely interested as well, and I'm sure there are more than just Conne and myself.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
American Aurora. It's been a while, but I recall A.J. Languth's Patriots being good.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Could you list them on here? I'm definitely interested as well, and I'm sure there are more than just Conne and myself.
I'll pull together a list and put it up in the next day or so.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would start earlier if I were you. There is a book called "Mayflower" by Nathaniel Philbrick that's a great history of the early New England settlement, relations with Native Americans, etc. There's another bookm called "Albion's Seed" by David Hacett Fischer that deals with the four major migrations from Europe that founded the country. It gives you a real feel for the uniqueness of New England versus Virginia versus the Delaware Valley, etc. in terms of culture, politics, social interaction, religion, even architecture. Starting with colonization will give you a much better appreciation of the events of the Revolutionary period. You might also want to brush up on the French and Indian War, and from there move on to "A Leap In the Dark", recommended by another poster above. It's a great book and generally starts a little earlier than most histories of the Revolution do.

As someone else posted, Chernow's biography of Hamilton is excellent. Getting an understanding of history via biography is different and a good refresher between reading more traditional histories.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to having great taste in cigars, the previous poster suggested another book, the Chernov book on Hamilton. Alex H. might be our most interesting founding father. More to consider: Material Life in America 1600-1860 by R. Blair St. George: dispels so many myths about what day-to-day life was like for the average person. Myne Own Ground: Race and Freedom on Virginia's Eastern Shore, by T.H. Breen and S. Innes: Looks at the point of division in society for the races and how it didn't have to turn out the way it did. Benjamin Franklin, by Gaustad. A relatively quick but precise read on a Herculean figure in US history. Love and Hate in Jamestown, by David Price looks at the first English settlement in North America and the story John Smith and Pocahontas. It makes you wonder why the Indians would continue to help the English after a while. More to follow. . . .

injung

Reaction score
If you'd like a quick read about the American Revolution, 1776 by David McCullough is a good way to start.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to read some of the books suggested here over the summer but I'd like to get a few more titles. Any help?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
how do you like your books? a dramatized account? straight textbook style history? biography?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teatree