• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows Vista

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robsan
I hate Windows Vista.Anyone else?

No I love it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
<- likes it a lot. Not love, but it does everything I want, and not much that I don't.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no reason to love or hate it either. It gets the job done, and I'm happy with that.

I use Vista Home Premium Tablet Edition on my own and XP Pro at work.

Modernist

Reaction score
Here in Greece a lot of people are calling them Windows Svista (=erase'em). IMO, they are nice, but they are a resource hog and I hate the constant nagging. Come October though the new version will be released, and hopefully they will be improved. For the time being, XP Pro at home and Server 2003 at work.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
it does everything I want, and not much that I don't.
I agree with you here, but that's only part of the story. My problem is that it does nothing more for me than XP did (and, come to think of it, nothing really useful that '95 did not do) and it does all this so much more slowly than '95 (or even XP) that I would change back in a heartbeat if it were easy to do so.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 from college for $25 total. After about an hour of setting everything EXACTLY the way I want it. It's been running amazingly for the last 2 years (I built a pretty spectacular gaming rig at the time and DX10 was a big deal for me).

No complaints here.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really hated it when I bought it. It's got better but I'm still not happy.

In the past year I bought a work station with Vista Home Premium. An XPS Dell laptop ( loaded to the hilt ) with Vista Ultimate, and an HP workstation replacement type laptop with Vista Home Premium.

For the first 6 months, I could have kicked myself in the butt for investing that kind of money and not going to a very nice Apple work station and and a Powerbook Pro. But the damage has been done.

Vista has improved with the first service pack. But on a cost/value basis it's a definite fail. It's an absolute resource hog and there are not enough discernible improvements over XP to merit the change to Vista, let alone the additional high costs.

To the poster above that said he wishes he could return to XP. You generally can and it's not particularly difficult. It would be particularly galling to me to pay for a "new and improved" OS and then pay more to convert it back to the old OS!

I've heard that there is not one enterprise size user in the US ( perhaps the world, and this includes Microsoft Corp. ) that uses Vista as their primary OS and platform. Anyone know if this is true? If it is, then it's very telling.

Microsoft's next OS is being rushed to market ( I think beta versions are already available ). I hope it's a lot better than Vista.

In any event, the next time I make a major computer investment I think I'll go to Apple. I'm getting awful tired of constant virus scans, malware scans, and permission messages constantly.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It was more comfortable to use than XP, but Windows 7 is what Vista needed to be. If anybody wants a Vista Ultimate Serial / key on the cheaaaaaap let me know.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
I turned the permission messages off...

It's adequate. I'm really not fussed with the operating system so long as I can run Firefox, Office and a decent Java IDE.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
It was more comfortable to use than XP, but Windows 7 is what Vista needed to be. If anybody wants a Vista Ultimate Serial / key on the cheaaaaaap let me know.

Yeah, but for anyone who SERIOUSLY thinks that Vista offers no benefits over Win95/WinME/Win2k/WinXP - (thats laughable, by the way. In fact it does in fact offer some pretty significant advantages over XP, regardless of what you do on the computer) they are going to hate Windows 7. Because Vista is way more Windows 7-like than XP is Vista-like. At some point, someone is going to say "I'm switching back to Vista, this new OS is crap!" or " There hasn't been a good OS since Windows 3.1. I'm switching to Mac."

Go ahead. Get a Mac. You are who they make those for.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Yeah, but for anyone who SERIOUSLY thinks that Vista offers no benefits over Win95/WinME/Win2k/WinXP - (thats laughable, by the way. In fact it does in fact offer some pretty significant advantages over XP, regardless of what you do on the computer) they are going to hate Windows 7. Because Vista is way more Windows 7-like than XP is Vista-like. At some point, someone is going to say "I'm switching back to Vista, this new OS is crap!" or " There hasn't been a good OS since Windows 3.1. I'm switching to Mac."

Go ahead. Get a Mac. You are who they make those for.

uhoh.gif
but I switched from Macs right after OSX came out...

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad this topic came up. Does anyone have experience using 64-bit Vista?

I'd like to have the 64 bit version for the graphics software I use but have heard some bad things about backwards compatibility.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dia Masoud