• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you consider yourself "stylish"

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
look through waywt for a while. it's not only possible, it happens daily.

+1. Having the means to buy pricey clothes doesn't make you stylish. It only means you're wearing nicer clothes and have a better chance of looking stylish than the average person. Problem is, having the means to buy these clothes doesn't make becoming stylish a sure thing. Whether it's poor fit, bad execution with mixing pieces or simply wearing something that isn't really you, it's actually still pretty easy to not look all that great, even when draped in hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of clothing.

dubcbadass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
if rednecks think im gay does that make me stylish?

Rednecks think my dad is gay for teaching spin classes. I think they are right.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I think the implicit question in blackplatano's post is "Has SF made you stylish?" You have more knowledge b/c of SF, and you probably have more clothes because of SF, but do you now have style?

I've come to the conclusion that style is like natural-born talent. You can read on an online forum all about becoming a better basketball player, but unless you've got awesome natural talent you're not going to be Michael Jordan. Some people are just better at matching colors and textures, at dressing with a true force of personality. SF can't help you with that.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. But I find it odd that when walking from the bus to work this morning, I noticed that the guy I was walking behind was wearing chucks, selvedge jeans, a short-sleeve checked shirt (not sure if it was BoO or what.. very fitted and he wore it well) and appeared to have the aesthetic down. Which is weird because now I find myself checking out what dudes are wearing instead of checking out the girls. WTF. I do basically the bare minimum. I find some aspects of fashion interesting and have found that paying attention to a few basic rules I've picked up from reading here and elsewhere, I can still keep to the bare minimum, but look a lot less like a slob. The primary reason is, I'm what I call a "morning marsupial". I do not do well in the morning. Never have, not even as a child (I'd wake up for saturday morning cartoons and then fall asleep on the floor in front of the TV). Anyway, I have to keep my wardrobe pretty basic and fool-proof so that pretty much anything I grab "goes" with anything else. You'd be surprised how many times I've gotten to work and around lunch time realized what I was wearing and thought "Wow.. when did I put on pants?" So, my uniform is basically canvas sneakers (these days, it's John Varvatos Chuck Taylors and Jack Purcells), jeans (RRL Low Straight), and a variety of American Apparel polos + hoodies. The important thing is, everything fits me much better than before and I credit the forums for good visual references for fit, which moves me away from the 3XL black concert t-shirts and dickies shorts of the past. :p It's not perfect (and with my body build, it's hard to find shirts that fit me well), but all my girlfriends say it's 100% better than before. I consider that a win. But stylish? No. I admire the guys that can spend the time and pull it off well, and slowly try to work in a few pieces here and there as I can that I've seen work with others. Thanks SF!
smile.gif

Brutus

Reaction score
I spent some money at Men's Wearhouse the other day, does that make me stylish?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
To play devil's advocate. It's also possible to be unique and "do your own thing", feel comfortable in it, and still look like ****. Taste plays a factor too. Just because someone may really believe that a painting of dogs playing poker is the highest form of artistic expression doesn't make him right. Just makes him an idiot. There's definitely lots of interesting styles and looks people can pull off, but dressing up for an anime cosplay show is unique too.

bad example because dogs playing poker are the ****

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
I've been told I'm "stylish" more than once. I like that. I've been told I'm "interested in fashion" and I like that less.

I've been told I "dress gay".

I'll take that as stylish.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Have you ever considered that you might be one of those "somdomites?"

That question has been raised by myself and others. However, I've never gotten "turned on" by guys. It ain't no thang, I just don't swang thatta way, dawg. (**** DID I REALLY JUST TYPE THAT?? ****). The gay dudes (and dudettes) in the office and I talk fashion, though. Some guys talk sports, I'd rather talk about denim.
smile.gif

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
To play devil's advocate. It's also possible to be unique and "do your own thing", feel comfortable in it, and still look like ****. Taste plays a factor too. Just because someone may really believe that a painting of dogs playing poker is the highest form of artistic expression doesn't make him right. Just makes him an idiot. There's definitely lots of interesting styles and looks people can pull off, but dressing up for an anime cosplay show is unique too.

bad example because dogs playing poker are the ****

Get with the next trend: Naval Battles on velvet

wink.gif

I greatly dislike the "prep" look a lot of guys here go for. It looks great when pulled off nicely, but we had some pretty vicious fights in high school between the preps and the freaks. By preps I mean:
Duck Head khakis (or Guess? jeans)
RL polos
braided belts
deck shoes or duck boots
frayed baseball cap
Ford Mustang 5.0 LX convertibles

When I see this look, I have an involuntary "fight or flight" response that came from years of "abuse" from the ******* "rich kids". Nothing personal against anyone here, but it does bring back some pretty bad memories.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
FWIW, it is about a million times easier to be stylish if you have the right build.

+1. I don't think I'm hindered as much by my lack of $$ as I am by lack of a really good build. Err'body on SF talks about how tall & skinny people can look great in anything, and I think I'm pretty good proof that that isn't true at all. Hopefully some lifting and laying out in the sun this summer can remedy that a little.

Anyway, I think I have a good sense of style and know what I eventually want to be wearing. To be honest, I think it'd look pretty cool. Right now, I'm just trying to gradually built up the relative out-there-ness of the stuff I wear to school, because I don't think it'd be very steezy to just show up one day with a bunch of brand new clothes that look absolutely nothing like the clothes you'd been wearing for the rest of your life.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I don't like saying "I'm stylish", it's something I get all the time from other people and it makes me embarrassed. It's like "wow, you're so metrosexual!", the most backhanded compliment of all time. I don't know what "stylish" really means to be honest, so I wouldn't call myself that. It is something I aspire to when I get dressed at least, to make myself look my best and have people think "wow, that guy looks good." I don't know about that yet, though most people notice me, (and it's usually the men who ask if I have a boyfriend :| ) you can never be sure if they think "hey that guy looks good" or "haha can you believe that douche is wearing that?" I guess as long as there are people who fall into the second category, I could never be comfortable with calling myself stylish.

Mark C.

Reaction score
Absolutely not. While I am able to spot nice pieces, be it a shirt, jacket or denim, I cannot for the life of me put a stylish outfit together. I often wonder how those "snappy dresser" dudes do it. I've always just worn t-shirts & jeans.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brendagie401