• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying stuff out of the back of a truck

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the "scammers" are recruited legitimately through newspaper classified ads for "marketing companies"?

I've had an experience with what appeared to be a very fishy company. I passed an interview (didn't even need to show a resume or work history!) and after a three hour seminar, still had practically no idea what I was going to be doing. Something about selling knock-off perfumes in mall parking lots, but they were insistent on the point that we weren't selling, we were marketing.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Is it possible that the "scammers" are recruited legitimately through newspaper classified ads for "marketing companies"? I've had an experience with what appeared to be a very fishy company. I passed an interview (didn't even need to show a resume or work history!) and after a three hour seminar, still had practically no idea what I was going to be doing. Something about selling knock-off perfumes in mall parking lots, but they were insistent on the point that we weren't selling, we were marketing.
Someone once tried to sell me kids toys in the parking lot at Safeway. They had this whole story about how it was some product that hadn't hit the North American market yet and that it was all the rage in Europe, and how they were willing to sell it to me for $25 dollars as part of a special marketing kick-off campaign. I told them I didn't want it since I don't even have kids, but they were so desperate to make me buy something, they followed me around and went as low as $5, but of course they reminded me "my boss will be really mad if he finds out about the deal I'm giving you!"
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif
I had a job interview with one of these ultra shady companies once when i was desperate for a summer job in first year university. You know it's something stupid when they don't actually tell you what the job is at your interview. They tried to recruit us into selling pizza coupons... not even pizzas. Just the coupons like the ones you get in the mail for free... except we were going to get $20 for a sheet of them. They didn't actually tell me what the job was until I was "shadowing" someone on my first day. After the first unemployed bum answered the door in his underwear, and this guy STILL tried to convince him to borrow $20 from a roommate... I left.
facepalm.gif

Prince of Talisker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
very common scam. especially the white van in the mall parking lot that had "too many speakers delivered to them". Ive been hit up by them in different states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

Haha, A guy I used to work with had that happen to him. He paid $300 for these 'Pro Audio' speakers in the parking lot, which we checked out online, and their were literally 0 hits for the model number.

Needless to say, they sounded like ****.
crackup[1].gif

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
The Real Hustle (UK) - The White Van Scam
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The Real Hustle (UK) - The Jam Auction
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
FTFY

No what every you do don't egg them.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is another fairly popular scam when a guy tries to sell you some cheap vinyl "Armani" jackets. Some guy driving a Hyundai SUV with Maryland plates approached me in Manhattan a few weeks ago as I was getting into my car and asked if I speak Italian. He then said for directions to the airport and started to say he worked in the fashion industry and how he was on his way back to Italy right now. I then remembered reading about a scam that begins the same way and started to shake my head. The scammer dude got the hint and left to look for other pray. He didn't even get a chance to tell me about his extra jackets. Reading reports on the web it seems almost identical scams are taking place all over the world. I doubt anyone on SF would fall victim to these scams since they would see the "Armani/Versaci" jackets for what they are. Doing a search brings up lots of hits.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
one time in high school walking home someone was selling fake perfume/cologne from the back of their car in the pavilions parking lot and they approached me and my friend and obviously it was super sketchy and my friend asked to smell it and it was awful... they had boxes full of perfume. super random.

Transcendental

Reaction score
A friend of mine wanted me to sell a home surround sound system he had, that his dad got from the fabled 'men in the white van'. Surprisingly, aside from the ****** system itself, it came with legit Sony speakers =\\

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IuliaBartcovschi