• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Night On The Line aka The Culinary Wonderment thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome job. This was like a quick and dirty version of Kitchen Confidential (Bourdain) - which if you haven't read, you must must must, it's practically describing all the stuff you should know right now about actually working in a kitchen.

aragon765

Reaction score
good job - as someone also about to step into a crazy-paced career, I appreciate the dedication and work you have shown, and the reward you acheived (and deserved). Never thought I would say a Kwilk post is inspiring, but this one was!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kwilk,

I'm really really happy for you. Great to see someone living his dream. I'm sure all your hardwork in school and in your apprenticeship will be worth it someday. Cheers brah!

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Keep rising to the top!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Great job, great thread, great read. Thanks kwilk. Congratulations and Godspeed.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats man. Great opportunity, and great post.

I'm sad someone beat me to the punch on Kitchen Confidential. There are like 3 chapters devoted to learning spanish. Hell.. you live in Chicago. 75% of our sushi chefs are Mexican these days!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's heartening to hear about your successful first day on the job after reading your musings about wanting to change careers and go to cooking school last year. Like everyone else here, I applaud your commitment, ambition and tenacity. Keep it up and follow your dreams!

I do wonder about this culture of yelling at subordinates that seems pervasive in the restaurant business. Although people in the industry might take it for granted that yelling is how chefs communicate their dissatisfaction to underlings, I wonder if it's the most effective way to run a kitchen.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I do wonder about this culture of yelling at subordinates that seems pervasive in the restaurant business. Although people in the industry might take it for granted that yelling is how chefs communicate their dissatisfaction to underlings, I wonder if it's the most effective way to run a kitchen.
In Anthony Bourdain's book near the end, he makes a disclaimer that not all kitchens are like that. He talks about another very well run kitchen he went into that was smooth and quiet but still very efficient. That being said, I was watching Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (The UK version, the American one is so so terrible) and in a single moment I understood what he's all about... the chef sent him a chicken with a small piece of bone in it and he told the guy "never let your mistakes leave the kitchen". In that instance, I can almost let Ramsey justify everything he does to his staff. The fact is, the chef's the one who takes the **** when things don't turn out and, you can't do enough to compensate for a bad meal. Once it's been sent, that's it! So when it's his reputation on the line and a bad experience will undoubtedly be retold, the head chef can say or do whatever the hell he wants to his staff. They'll be whipped into line so they have the discipline of an army. They won't even think about disobeying and they'll be so afraid that they do everything perfectly to avoid being yelled at. They learn to work hard, appreciate rewards/compliments. Nothing but the highest standards is allowed. Once you start to let mistakes leave the kitchen, who knows where the quality will eventually go?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kwik, good luck. I enjoy reading your story and could clearly feel the excitement you felt come across.

The ability to take criticism constructively, even if you are being screamed at, and turn around and improve yourself, that skill will take you very far.

Good Luck.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
It's heartening to hear about your successful first day on the job after reading your musings about wanting to change careers and go to cooking school last year. Like everyone else here, I applaud your commitment, ambition and tenacity. Keep it up and follow your dreams! I do wonder about this culture of yelling at subordinates that seems pervasive in the restaurant business. Although people in the industry might take it for granted that yelling is how chefs communicate their dissatisfaction to underlings, I wonder if it's the most effective way to run a kitchen.
It goes back to Escoffier. The commercial kitchen is based on a military model where the chef (french for chief) has absolute power. The "yelling" approach has a very specific outcome. It makes people act w/out thinking or being creative... because a line cook is not supposed to question the chef's vision, he's supposed to execute it... exactly as the chef would have done himself. Besides, like the military, a lot of the people who work in commercial kitchens are lacking discipline in the rest of their lives, and kind of enjoy it. How else would you get them there on time after they drank until 6 am the night before, screwed all their co-workers, etc.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
In Anthony Bourdain's book near the end, he makes a disclaimer that not all kitchens are like that. He talks about another very well run kitchen he went into that was smooth and quiet but still very efficient.

That being said, I was watching Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (The UK version, the American one is so so terrible) and

in a single moment I understood what he's all about... the chef sent him a chicken with a small piece of bone in it and he told the guy "never let your mistakes leave the kitchen".

In that instance, I can almost let Ramsey justify everything he does to his staff.

The fact is, the chef's the one who takes the **** when things don't turn out and, you can't do enough to compensate for a bad meal. Once it's been sent, that's it! So when it's his reputation on the line and a bad experience will undoubtedly be retold, the head chef can say or do whatever the hell he wants to his staff. They'll be whipped into line so they have the discipline of an army. They won't even think about disobeying and they'll be so afraid that they do everything perfectly to avoid being yelled at. They learn to work hard, appreciate rewards/compliments. Nothing but the highest standards is allowed. Once you start to let mistakes leave the kitchen, who knows where the quality will eventually go?

I understand the outcome that yelling is intending to generate but can chefs not express their discontent another way that will generate the same outcome without the agressiveness of shouting? How is a chef different from any other manager or CEO who is ultimately responsible for the performance of his group or organization? Do you think all bosses should yell at employees to get their message across?

Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
It goes back to Escoffier. The commercial kitchen is based on a military model where the chef (french for chief) has absolute power. The "yelling" approach has a very specific outcome. It makes people act w/out thinking or being creative... because a line cook is not supposed to question the chef's vision, he's supposed to execute it... exactly as the chef would have done himself.

Besides, like the military, a lot of the people who work in commercial kitchens are lacking discipline in the rest of their lives, and kind of enjoy it. How else would you get them there on time after they drank until 6 am the night before, screwed all their co-workers, etc.

Interesting analogy but I think that we tolerate some extreme behaviors in the military because there is a recognition that people's lives are on the line. If soldiers f@ck up, others die, so perhaps shouting is appropriate despite the negative side effects. In civilian life however, the stakes are not as high (bad meal, lost money...) so we should be less tolerant of abusive behavior.

Your second point is interesting. I admit that every individual is different and that some people need stricter discipline. That said, I don't believe anyone really enjoys being yelled at and humiliated (and I'm into kinky sex as much - or more so... - than the next guy but that's different
bounce2.gif
).

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EL... you need to watch Swimming with Sharks. One of my all-time favorite movies.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
EL... you need to watch Swimming with Sharks. One of my all-time favorite movies.

With Kevin Spacey? Was it the one where the asshole boss ends up tied to a chair...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52