• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are 6x2 DB suits so much more common than 4x2?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
No, there is not and it is not likely. I don't really like it.

As to how rare it is, it should come as no surprise to you that Yachtie has one or two of these,

Don't know if he has any in his closet but he wants to do this style. Oh boy!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As to how rare it is, it should come as no surprise to you that Yachtie has one or two of these, I think.

Pretty damned rare then--and bizarre to boot.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
That's not a traditional configuration. On my six-button DB, for example, the top buttons are only for show. There are no buttonholes or even enough fabric to fasten them with. Herringbone flannel or cashmere sounds right. It looked nice and slouchy. He was very proud of it, taking time to tell the story and thank Bill Cosby, walk to the center of the stage, take off the jacket and show it to the camera.
What night was that show? maybe they have a clip of it on Letterman's site.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you would now. Maybe all I remembered was his posting about his interest in it. No doubt, he will tell us himself soon enough.

Had two, still have one (Chris worked on it) getting at least one more (already have the cloth).

Here 'ya go:

IMG_0303.jpg

Foo is just sooooooo pedestrian.

Back onto what the OP said, I really like 4x2's for sportcoats.(as everyone here already knows)

Jas0n

Reaction score
Not really true. It is rare, but not untraditional. Here is Dege's version:
db6x3is1os.jpg

whats slightly different about the BF DB is that the uppermost row of buttons are slightly wider apart than the bottom two, but they are not so wide apart that buttoning them is impossile (nor does cause an unslighly bunching of material, either).

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone flannel or cashmere sounds right. It looked nice and slouchy. He was very proud of it, taking time to tell the story and thank Bill Cosby, walk to the center of the stage, take off the jacket and show it to the camera.

I still had the episode on my PVR, and took some screen captures (click on them for the full-sized pictures):

Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
What night was that show? maybe they have a clip of it on Letterman's site.

It was Thursday, February 12.

--Andre

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for terminology: If AxB, A=number of visible buttons, B=number of actually buttonable buttons (inside fastening not included). At least, that's how my tailor uses the term.

I think 6x2 is more common because it is more common, as strange as this may sound. At some point in history, this configuration gained more popularity for whatever reason and since then, everybody (read: everybode who doesn't care that much for clothes) expects a DB to look like that. This leads to fashion houses produce mainly 6x2 jackets which again strengthens the customer in his belief that 6x2 is the only way to go and so on and so on...

Personally, I prefer 4x1 jackets, if only because my tailor told me this was the perfect configuration for me. I never thought of this configuration before but now I absolutely love it and wouldn't want anything else.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y

Pity that Letterman must have been holding dumbells in each hand when Corvato adjusted his sleeves. Very GWB.

Then again, looking at how the hem of the braced trousers touch the ground, perhaps Corvato had DL on the rack.

But, let's all agree to blame Letterman.

The seated chest shot looks nice, though...I like the bit of room in the chest.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Pity that Letterman must have been holding dumbells in each hand when Corvato adjusted his sleeves. Very GWB.

Then again, looking at how the hem of the braced trousers touch the ground, perhaps Corvato had DL on the rack.

Must be his personal preference to not show cuff and to have a big break--all his suits seem to be that way.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Must be his personal preference to not show cuff and to have a big break--all his suits seem to be that way.

I'm completely down with blaming Letterman.

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm completely down with blaming Letterman. - B
Take heart, I hear Letterman is going fresco.
rimshot.gif
Letterman doesn't show up for fittings and Nino probably assumes he will be wearing a properly fitted shirt and a pair of heftier lace ups with a suit. I am not sure Nino even watches the show, and I couldn't blame him.

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
i think the show buttons will be used more in future. Saw a nice 6x3 blazer in the window of Gieves this afternoon.

627_imgfull.jpg

Reminiscent of the blazer Lazenby wore in OHMSS.

Leon

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This shoulder line reminds me a lot of the one I got from Winston Tailors. It is not one I am used to.

It does look good, though. Very Ivy League from a certain vintage.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
_scottyo