• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Zegna, Piana, Cucinelli Cashmere

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went looking for cashmere sweaters today.

After all the Cucinelli hype around here, I went specifically looking for them. I was surprised by what I found. The pieces I saw were pretty uninspired -- ill fitting jackets and sweaters with rather coarse and thin cashmere. Nothing too special, certainly not for the price. Also surprised by Loro Piana, my sweaters from years ago have a much finder hand by Zegna's "Pure Cashmere" labeled stuff.

In order of quality, I found:

1) Zegna (the Pure Cashmere stuff)
2) Piana
3) Cucinelli (eh)

Ended up with several Zegna Pure Cashmere sweaters including an absolutely sublime black hooded zip, double faced cashmere, black on the outside, oatmeal in the inside, with cashmere lined pockets, $1700 retail which I scored for $350. Great ultra casual sweater that I will wear a lot. Far and away some of the best cashmere I have ever felt.

Any one else rate the Zegna stuff highly?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem I have with EZ & LP is the cuts - they make them for older (read fuller) bodies..

Even the smallest in EZ or LP is still shapeless, though Z Zegna is trimmer the fabrics are shite IMO.

Cucinelli can be hit & miss - the shirts are cut with low arm holes, the jackets fit me OTR (they are nicely waisted with high arm holes), the sweaters are also trimmer all over. The cashmere may not be as fine as LP but they are going for the rustic charm unlike LP.

Just MO.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
The problem I have with EZ & LP is the cuts - they make them for older (read fuller) bodies..

Even the smallest in EZ or LP is still shapeless, though Z Zegna is trimmer the fabrics are shite IMO.

Cucinelli can be hit & miss - the shirts are cut with low arm holes, the jackets fit me OTR (they are nicely waisted with high arm holes), the sweaters are also trimmer all over. The cashmere may not be as fine as LP but they are going for the rustic charm unlike LP.

Just MO.

Agreed on all counts. LP tailored clothing does not fit me at all. No shape.

However, for sweaters, I don't care as much about fit -- since I like to wear heavier cashmere in zips, pullovers if you will. I don't go for the fitted v-neck look.

The main reason I started this thread was that I was surprised to find the Zegna cashmere to be of a much finer hand and much softer than the offerings from Brunello.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've had some incredibly plush Brioni sweaters - a few of which I kept for myself... but they are far from fitted.

Also, don't forget Avon Celli - beautiful stuff there too...

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Zegna makes good cashmere, though I like their polo sweaters in 15 milmil 15 better. I think they also own the Agnona brand (maybe one of those n's should be doubled), which makes great stuff as well.

I don't much care for BC, but I like LP. I prefer the Scots above both, though.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should also check Colombo and Piacenza cashmeres, great quality.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
You should also check Colombo and Piacenza cashmeres, great quality.
I sell Colombo and have some overcoats that use Piacenza fabrics and you just cant compare the two with Colombo being in a different (significantly higher) league.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a good point. I wonder if there are relatively few (or no) fine cashmere knit options in trimmer cuts for this reason. The older you are, the more money you have, the more cashmere you can buy, the fatter you are.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just MO.

I find this to be true of Loro Piana sweaters and outerwear, less so with their RTW shirts and pants. The shirts fit me as well or better than any other brand OTR, as they are slimmer cut, and I find the pants to be generally cut on the slimmer side as well, which I prefer. Not as slim as Borrelli, but slimmer than most. Also, I find BC RTW shirts to be total crap.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40