• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna, Piana, Cucinelli Cashmere

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went looking for cashmere sweaters today.

After all the Cucinelli hype around here, I went specifically looking for them. I was surprised by what I found. The pieces I saw were pretty uninspired -- ill fitting jackets and sweaters with rather coarse and thin cashmere. Nothing too special, certainly not for the price. Also surprised by Loro Piana, my sweaters from years ago have a much finder hand by Zegna's "Pure Cashmere" labeled stuff.

In order of quality, I found:

1) Zegna (the Pure Cashmere stuff)
2) Piana
3) Cucinelli (eh)

Ended up with several Zegna Pure Cashmere sweaters including an absolutely sublime black hooded zip, double faced cashmere, black on the outside, oatmeal in the inside, with cashmere lined pockets, $1700 retail which I scored for $350. Great ultra casual sweater that I will wear a lot. Far and away some of the best cashmere I have ever felt.

Any one else rate the Zegna stuff highly?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem I have with EZ & LP is the cuts - they make them for older (read fuller) bodies..

Even the smallest in EZ or LP is still shapeless, though Z Zegna is trimmer the fabrics are shite IMO.

Cucinelli can be hit & miss - the shirts are cut with low arm holes, the jackets fit me OTR (they are nicely waisted with high arm holes), the sweaters are also trimmer all over. The cashmere may not be as fine as LP but they are going for the rustic charm unlike LP.

Just MO.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
The problem I have with EZ & LP is the cuts - they make them for older (read fuller) bodies..

Even the smallest in EZ or LP is still shapeless, though Z Zegna is trimmer the fabrics are shite IMO.

Cucinelli can be hit & miss - the shirts are cut with low arm holes, the jackets fit me OTR (they are nicely waisted with high arm holes), the sweaters are also trimmer all over. The cashmere may not be as fine as LP but they are going for the rustic charm unlike LP.

Just MO.

Agreed on all counts. LP tailored clothing does not fit me at all. No shape.

However, for sweaters, I don't care as much about fit -- since I like to wear heavier cashmere in zips, pullovers if you will. I don't go for the fitted v-neck look.

The main reason I started this thread was that I was surprised to find the Zegna cashmere to be of a much finer hand and much softer than the offerings from Brunello.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've had some incredibly plush Brioni sweaters - a few of which I kept for myself... but they are far from fitted.

Also, don't forget Avon Celli - beautiful stuff there too...

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Zegna makes good cashmere, though I like their polo sweaters in 15 milmil 15 better. I think they also own the Agnona brand (maybe one of those n's should be doubled), which makes great stuff as well.

I don't much care for BC, but I like LP. I prefer the Scots above both, though.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should also check Colombo and Piacenza cashmeres, great quality.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
You should also check Colombo and Piacenza cashmeres, great quality.
I sell Colombo and have some overcoats that use Piacenza fabrics and you just cant compare the two with Colombo being in a different (significantly higher) league.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a good point. I wonder if there are relatively few (or no) fine cashmere knit options in trimmer cuts for this reason. The older you are, the more money you have, the more cashmere you can buy, the fatter you are.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just MO.

I find this to be true of Loro Piana sweaters and outerwear, less so with their RTW shirts and pants. The shirts fit me as well or better than any other brand OTR, as they are slimmer cut, and I find the pants to be generally cut on the slimmer side as well, which I prefer. Not as slim as Borrelli, but slimmer than most. Also, I find BC RTW shirts to be total crap.

Johnny80

Reaction score
Anything news?
This year i bought just from colombo cashmere sweaters and cardigans
Still better than zegna and loro piana on cut and quality ( especially kid cashmere and cashmere 4.0 that is focus on pure lightness 150g )

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ve just resurrected 2 cashmere threads, both about 12 years old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads