• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna in hong kong

Kev

Reaction score
Just had a question about Zegna Fabric in Hong Kong. If anybody on the board has some info it would be greatly appreciated. I was at WW Chan Tailor last week and picked out some fabric for a suit. I decided on a charcoal grey super 140's material from Holland and Sherry for under $1000. But the price they quoted me for a suit made with Zegna Trofeo fabric was over $1400. Is it the demand for Zegna name brand in asia contributing to the cost or does Zegna fabric cost that much more? Sure would like to try out Zegna traveller but at the 30% more than Holland and Sherry I may just pass

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the nuances of the fabric choices, but personally I just don't see the sense in paying a 40% premium for the Zegna fabric. A super 140s from HS should be sufficiently fine that any small step up for Zegna is not worth 400 in value. The fit of the Chan/construction is what the real benefit to your purchase will be.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anything with the Zegna label on it is going to have a significant brand premium. I've seen some very nice Trofeo fabrics, and I even have a suit made from one of them. However, from what I've seen, its price tends to be out of line even within the Zegna range.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided on a charcoal grey super 140's material from Holland and Sherry for under $1000. But the price they quoted me for a suit made with Zegna Trofeo fabric was over $1400.
I would be interested in hearing your take on the suit when it is done. Chan is going to be in my area in November and I plan on getting an appointment to order a suit. I was thinking of getting Zegna fabric but if it is that much more expensive, I might go with a more moderatly priced 140 like you did. I'd like to hear how it turns out for you.

My View

Reaction score
I have 3 suits of made from Zegna Trofeo fabrics and to me, the feel of the fabric is excellent. Depending on the weave of course, some have a very beautiful sheen and drape beautifully. I have them done at a good price by a tailor in Singapore. My other few suits which are made from fabrics from other houses do not feel as nice NOT probably because they are non-Zegna but because they are of a lower count.

Well, the fact is Zegna's fabrics do feel very nice, but I am not sure if a 40% premium over other makes is justifiable. Perhaps some of the tailors on this board can enlighten us on this.

I think ultimately it is the fit of the suit which is crucial.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing your take on the suit when it is done. Chan is going to be in my area in November and I plan on getting an appointment to order a suit. I was thinking of getting Zegna fabric but if it is that much more expensive, I might go with a more moderatly priced 140 like you did. I'd like to hear how it turns out for you.
I've recently posted in another thread about WW Chan, but if you are purchasing your first suit from them on one of their US trips, I'd recommend going with the least expensive available fabric that meets your needs.  The first suit they did for me was extremely well-constructed, but I did not like the placement of the gorge and the lapels.  I think this is something that might have been avoided if I had the benefit of multiple fittings.  They fixed this problem on my second suit, and now have a pattern that I am very satisfied with.

I would now have no reservations about investing in a suit from them in a higher-end fabric.  But I think it is wise to make sure you are totally happy with their pattern before going with more expensive fabrics.  For point of reference, my first suit from them was made of a super 110s worsted from Vitale Barberis Canonico, and ran (I think) $730 US, including duties and shipping.  Subsequent suits have been from different fabrics, running closer to $1000.  I have avoided opening their Zegna book (prominently featuring the per-suit prices on the cover) because I'd rather spend a couple hundred more to purchase two suits made from less "marquee" cloth.

daytona

Reaction score
Kev,
I know the Zegna fabric supplier in Hong Kong. I called them few month ago. They told me the Zegna fabric is around HK$700 to HK$1000. Also, WW Chan is ordered zegna fabric from them. Here is their phone number (852) 2739 2335 (Mr. Kong) Their office is located near WW Chan's shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads