• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yuketen Footwear

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRyder
And OSB...what factory are they made in? Are OSBs better quality the Epaulet?
i think osb's are made in a single us factory, although they might use a couple, i do not know for sure. what i do know is they are not made in the same place quoddys are, like you suggested.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
my suggestion would be to compare a yuketen (or even a osb) to a quoddy in person. you will immediately know what im talking about.

the leather, the feel of the leather, the overall construction of the shoe, the lacing, the insole, the inside stitching, etc. is noticeably better.

Whatever123, I did this. I did this with the exact same shoe that you tried to have proxy-purchased for yourself at the Holt Renfrew Last Call in Toronto. I don't usually go there because it's a zoo, but it's the only place in Toronto that had Yuketens that I knew of.

The leather most certainly was not chromexcel, or even comparable to any Quoddy leather. It was on the same part as the leather of Sebago, which made me believe it was sourced in the Dominican Republic. The feel was nothing spectacular, but then you can never go by feel on first touch. Sperrys from China "feel" fabulous....one hour on your foot, and they've lost their shape completely and if barefoot, they will stain your feet with the same sinister color as the inside of the shoe. There are all sorts of cheap tricks to make leather "feel" good, just until the customer takes it home and uses it....

As for lacing, QUoddy lacing was orders of magnitude better. The Yuketen insole is identical to the Quoddy insole....except Yuketen's wasn't as glossy as Quoddy.

So I'm afraid I disagree totally with you....

As for construction, well, I'm not expert but I didn't see anything particularly glowing relative to other mocassins.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
they are not made in the same factory. quoddy is made in a barn (in maine), yuketen uses several different factories (in various parts of the us + canada).

in terms of quality, there is no doubt yuketen uses better raw materials, hence the reason why they cost more.

Based on side to side comparisons, there is every reason to doubt the superiority of Yuketen products.
I believe they are inferior to Quoddy, and they are overpriced to target a naive consumer in a foreign target market.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
Whatever123, I did this. I did this with the exact same shoe that you tried to have proxy-purchased for yourself at the Holt Renfrew Last Call in Toronto. I don't usually go there because it's a zoo, but it's the only place in Toronto that had Yuketens that I knew of. The leather most certainly was not chromexcel, or even comparable to any Quoddy leather. It was on the same part as the leather of Sebago, which made me believe it was sourced in the Dominican Republic. The feel was nothing spectacular, but then you can never go by feel on first touch. Sperrys from China "feel" fabulous....one hour on your foot, and they've lost their shape completely and if barefoot, they will stain your feet with the same sinister color as the inside of the shoe. There are all sorts of cheap tricks to make leather "feel" good, just until the customer takes it home and uses it.... As for lacing, QUoddy lacing was orders of magnitude better. The Yuketen insole is identical to the Quoddy insole....except Yuketen's wasn't as glossy as Quoddy. So I'm afraid I disagree totally with you.... As for construction, well, I'm not expert but I didn't see anything particularly glowing relative to other mocassins.
are you talking about the 300m boat shoes from 2 seasons ago? hr does not carry yuketen anymore. so which ones did you compare? oh, and i did have those sent to me, however, they were a size small so i sold them. please view my sale posts for further details ... it was from a while ago though. in terms of your post, your a full on idiot if that is your "conclusion." its no wonder goldman didnt give you a job
smile.gif
i will have to have your interview notes looked up to see if they also thought you were a total moron as well. you havent a clue as to what leather they use nor where it was sourced. you might be surprised to learn that leather you claim is nothing special did come from horween. not everything they do is cxl ... . i encourage dissent, but in the future please try and make a real argument. thanks.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
they are not made in the same factory. quoddy is made in a barn (in maine), yuketen uses several different factories (in various parts of the us + canada). in terms of quality, there is no doubt yuketen uses better raw materials, hence the reason why they cost more.
Can you please provide sources for your claims? Otherwise, well....you know.... My personal claim is Yuketen is for the most part made in the Dominican Republic. The final product is labelled and packaged in the USA--hence the "made by leather artisans in the USA" stamp on the insole, which is glued in the USA. This trick is also used by Allen Edmonds..... And what the hell is wrong with a barn? Our Lord and Savior was born in something not too dissimilar....

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Based on side to side comparisons, there is every reason to doubt the superiority of Yuketen products. I believe they are inferior to Quoddy, and they are overpriced to target a naive consumer in a foreign target market.
i believe you havent a clue as to what your talking about. you should find more people to pm and ask.
smile.gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can you please provide sources for your claims? Otherwise, well....you know.... My personal claim is Yuketen is for the most part made in the Dominican Republic. The final product is labelled and packaged in the USA--hence the "made by leather artisans in the USA" stamp on the insole, which is glued in the USA. This trick is also used by Allen Edmonds..... And what the hell is wrong with a barn? Our Lord and Savior was born in something not too dissimilar....
hey alz, im superman. thats about how marsupialed your claim is. as to your comment on sources, do some research on the net. you will learn they are not made in the same places.

miran

Reaction score
whatever134 dude, you need to play nice. even if you are the coolest guy on the planet adn draw your inspriation from Lady Gaga and wear underwear custom made for you using hand sliced brisket, you need to be patient with the less cool. even though you are alx's boss at godman sachs the onus is on you to prove your point.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miran
whatever134 dude, you need to play nice. even if you are the coolest guy on the planet adn draw your inspriation from Lady Gaga and wear underwear custom made for you using hand sliced brisket, you need to be patient with the less cool. even though you are alx's boss at godman sachs the onus is on you to prove your point.
okay okay. but that is me being nice.
smile.gif
here are my points: 1) hr does not carry yuketen anymore so i do not know what shoes he could have compared since they NO LONGER SELL THEM. 2) yuketen does things with shoe design and use of materials that quoddy cannot. does quoddy use cordovan, unique dyes, or unique leather and textures? hardly ... 3) many years ago yuketen did use the same barn quoddy did but they no longer do. yuketen, osb, and quoddy are NOT MADE AT THE SAME FACTORY. people keep suggesting they are but this is not true. 4) yuketens are priced the way they are because they use better raw materials (compared to quoddy). 5) yuketens are not made in dr. they are made in the states (some are made in canada). indeed, meg company does have some shoes (actually boots) that are made in dr but this is not true for yuketen. 6) quoddy is a fine shoe but it not as nice as yuketen (as a brand). 7) i love to argue.
smile.gif

miran

Reaction score

sorry my bad, correction. whatever1234 is not alx's boss. my bad. whatever1234 is in a differnt office of godman sachs than alx but not anymore. my bad.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
sorry my bad, correction. whatever1234 is not alx's boss. my bad. whatever1234 is in a differnt office of godman sachs than alx but not anymore. my bad.
a.l.z. does not work at gs. he applied but did not get the job. he kept bugging me asking me what i made as an associate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads