• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your suit/sport coat ratio

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I have excessively more blazers than suits, but this wasnt always the case. I used to abhor the concept of the jacket not matching the pants. At one time, I had over 100 suits, and no blazers/sport coats at all. This was when I was primarily a church musician, and would wear a suit several times a week.

As I started to play more and more professional gigs, I was made aware that suits were not appropriate attire for musicians. In most cases, the dress code was "upscale urban" which included blazers, button downs, designer t-shirts, designer jeans, etc.

So I started buying more and more blazers. This became favorable for many reasons, including:

-Buying blazers is usually cheaper than buying suits, also you have a much better chance of finding something nice at a thrift store. Most thrift store suits look drab, or outdated.

-Pants do not require hemming and alterations

-More inclusive to a variety of settings. For example, if I would wear a very impressive suit to church, but then decide to go shopping, or to a party, or etc afterwords, sometimes I would appear overdressed or out of place. Shirt/tie/blazer/jeans looks fashionable enough, but then is also comfortable enough for later.

So now I have maybe 50 blazers or so, and 30 suits. I have given away many suits and sold a few others. Granted, some of my "blazers" are actually abandoned suit coats. I still wear a suit most Sundays.

Kaizen

Reaction score
All sport coats, and no suits, currently.

I'm an IT consultant, and get looked at as odd just by wearing a tie. So, a sport coat is as dressed up as I currently get. I'm sure I'll get a couple of suits for those special occasions that will pop up, but I'm not in a hurry for them. I still have quite a few more patterns, colors, and fabrics that I'd like to have more sport coats made from.

Gene22

Reaction score
I've just started having to build a real wardrobe since I'm about to separate from the military, so I'm at a measly 1 suit and 2 sport coat level!

~ Graham

topbroker

Reaction score
My numbers are pretty close -- 20 suits, 16 sportcoats and blazers -- so I voted the third option.

Based on what people write about the inverse "dress codes" in their workplaces, I am awfully glad that I have always worked in settings where I could at least get away with suits and ties most days. I'd be a sad guy if I couldn't do that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My ratio of suits to sport coats is 4:1. I rarely wear sport coats, and when I do it's usually on the weekends for casual wear.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Reading the forum I always thought that people here were suit fanatics. I am surprised to see that there are so many sport coat guys.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only own 2 sports coats and 8 suits, so I would say my suit ratio is far greater than that of my sport coats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics