• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your preferred finish on shell cords?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Response: 2
Reasoning: I would just be curious to see how shiny my shells could be. Generally with brushing and occasional Reno, I assume I get the 'matted' look. Interested to find out how much more it shines when the pros do it. :)

Nick, thanks for the info re Venetian. I think I'll pick some up next time I'm in.

After seeng Bambi I could never use deer bone :cry:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I guess you better stay away from horse movies or it will ruin you for shell too!

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
I guess you better stay away from horse movies or it will ruin you for shell too!

My shell comes from unicorns... How else can you explain the colors :satisfied:

I still want to see War Horse!

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer no2. But find it really hard to polish shell cordos. It always turns out to be matte finish. I read some where that Alden shells are shinny where as AE are more of a matte finish. I think the shine has to do with the finish(paint) these shoe maker apply on the leather(shell cordo). I have 3 pairs of shell by Florsheim DB. 2 of them are navy and dark cherry has the matte finish and the cordovan(burgundy) one is shinny. This is due to the heavy finish on the burgundy pair.

And I thought I am the only one. :satisfied:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#3, I am happy to reapply the scuffs on my own doing, but when the come back from a resoling it's nice to see them buffed out.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ I like corrected grain shell. Actually I wonder whether anyone's bothered to make a pebble grain shell?

Quite right.
Just wear them and enjoy - why try to rationalise simply to create a thread?

no, I was talking about the spelling error in the title. Your you're.

Differences in taste are interesting.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is shell cordovan from a real fish, like tilapia or a whale?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^ I like my shell off the coast of Maine with a little bit of butter.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Curious to know the consensus. Which do you prefer:
1. Don't do anything to them. You like the patina that time and wear gives them.
2. A bright finish.
3. A matted, healthy finish.
4. Others?

it depends.

what is the style of the shoe? casual or dressy? Alden boot or EG shell monk? not all shell, even Horween, is created equally so varying methods and frequency of upkeep are required.

Mac recommends that all you do with Alden shell is brush and add some creme. Alden shell does a good job of keeping its luster whereas C&J shell is dry as hell and could use a brush and creme just about every other wear. Regarding patina, patina is more a function of time and wear than neglect. Some on this forum think they can beat their shell to death, let it dry out, and then call it "patina." looks ****** imo. Patina develops after years of wear and upkeep. If the shell has gashes, fill them in with a little wax. If dry, add creme and brush.

Nick, if someone sends you a pair of shell, you should polish and care for them. Unless of course someone instructs you not to

Last edited:

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Quite right.
Just wear them and enjoy - why try to rationalise simply to create a thread?

Funny, my Mother was Vice Principal and taught spelling and, 3 languages in a very prestigious grammar school in Northern N.J. Obviously, I didn't pay attention!
Probably got some things wrong here:nodding:
Sorry that you misinterpreted the intent of my post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads