• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You can pick one brand for the rest of your life for suits, shirts, ties, and shoes. Money is no object. Who do you pick?

acconrad

Reaction score
What differentiates the brands and tailors everyone has picked? What made you come to the realization that if you only had to pick one, they would be the one you would go with moving forward?

I'm muscular so I can't do brands like Brioni, RLPL, or Oxxford. Looks comical with broad shoulders to have a padded shoulder. So the pinnacle of the relaxed Neapolitan style is either Kiton or Attolini. I own both - I think the stitching and fit is better on the Attolini but the fabric is better on the Kiton.

For shirts its either Charvet, Turnbull, or Borrelli. These brands I can't differentiate between having owned or worn them all. Any of those work for shirts, so I just chose Charvet because JFK used them.

For ties, it's between Drake's, Vanda, EG Cappelli, E Marinella, or Sam Hober. Hober is bespoke and better priced, and the quality is indistinguishable from the others. The clear winner.

For shoes, it's between Green, Vass, or Fukuda. Green just has more iconic shoes between the Chelsea and the Dover. Vass are beautiful shoes too and probably better made than EG but EG is hard to deny if price is no object. Same with Fukuda, but as much as Fukuda is a truly pristine brand I don't have enough experience with them and the shape of my feet to trust them with all of my shoes forever going forward.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
I'm muscular so I can't do brands like Brioni, RLPL, or Oxxford. Looks comical with broad shoulders to have a padded shoulder. So the pinnacle of the relaxed Neapolitan style is either Kiton or Attolini. I own both - I think the stitching and fit is better on the Attolini but the fabric is better on the Kiton.

For shirts its either Charvet, Turnbull, or Borrelli. These brands I can't differentiate between having owned or worn them all. Any of those work for shirts, so I just chose Charvet because JFK used them.

For ties, it's between Drake's, Vanda, EG Cappelli, E Marinella, or Sam Hober. Hober is bespoke and better priced, and the quality is indistinguishable from the others. The clear winner.

For shoes, it's between Green, Vass, or Fukuda. Green just has more iconic shoes between the Chelsea and the Dover. Vass are beautiful shoes too and probably better made than EG but EG is hard to deny if price is no object. Same with Fukuda, but as much as Fukuda is a truly pristine brand I don't have enough experience with them and the shape of my feet to trust them with all of my shoes forever going forward.
Interesting that JFK wore Charvet shirts, didn’t know about that.

Totally forgot about Vass and your comment reminded me of them. I still would choose Lobb but I would have a very, very hard time giving up Vass.

I’m a thinner guy so my go-to suit brand is Brioni and also RLPL. Though I don’t think I look bad in Kiton and I do wear Kiton on occasion. Your comment on Kiton and Attolini makes a lot of sense based on my experience - Kiton has the finer fabrics while Attolini has the better handwork. But since we’re talking about 2 of the best brands in the world with regards to OTR suiting, I’d choose Kiton over Attolini if forced to choose between the 2. Kiton fabrics are out of this world. I have a 14 micron navy solid suit, still one of my all time favorites and the fabric blows anything else I own out of the water. This includes 14milmil14 from Zegna and super 200s from Brioni. The Kiton suit I have is just on another level.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suits: Attolini. Purely a matter of fit and i like the way their house style looks on me best. Plus they have a boutique in Miami.

Shirts: Charvet. Someday i need to find a US-based maker of equal quality and diversity

Ties: probably Tom Ford? I like their thickness and how they knot.

Shoes: has to be John Lobb. They have the most diverse offerings and I have my fit dialed in. Edward Green is a close second but i like the sleekness of JL a little more. Do i have to also buy casual shoes or sneakers/trainers from the same maker? If so I will have to change my answer - JL sneakers are literally murder on the feet.

Although these days I’m mostly in soft suede, knitwear, jeans and more casual shoes, so I have to add Loro Piana for the first two, Iron Heart for the jeans, and Alden and Carmina for the shoes.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Suits: Attolini. Purely a matter of fit and i like the way their house style looks on me best. Plus they have a boutique in Miami.

Shirts: Charvet. Someday i need to find a US-based maker of equal quality and diversity

Ties: probably Tom Ford? I like their thickness and how they knot.

Shoes: has to be John Lobb. They have the most diverse offerings and I have my fit dialed in. Edward Green is a close second but i like the sleekness of JL a little more. Do i have to also buy casual shoes or sneakers/trainers from the same maker? If so I will have to change my answer - JL sneakers are literally murder on the feet.

Although these days I’m mostly in soft suede, knitwear, jeans and more casual shoes, so I have to add Loro Piana for the first two, Iron Heart for the jeans, and Alden and Carmina for the shoes.
I didn’t realize Attolini has a boutique in Miami - I’ll have to visit.

What about Attolini’s fit do you prefer out of curiosity?

I feel like I missed the boat on Tom Ford ties. I own so many ties now I can’t really justify buying more, but I do own a couple Tom Ford’s and they are very nice.

Definitely agree with you on Lobb - for me, Lobb dress shoes are perfection.

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
Suits: Steven Hitchcock
Jacket, Winter: Norton & Sons
Jacket, Summer: Rubinacci
Shirts: Budd
Ties: Charvet
Shoes, Lace up: Cleverley
Shoes, Casual: Weston

djohns7275

Reaction score
Shirts: Fray
Ties: Turnbull & Asser
Shoes : Gaziano bespoke
Sneakers : Santoni
Knitwear : Loro Piana
Coats : Loro piana
Winter outerwear : Arc'teryx

But I thought the idea was to pick one brand for everything ? If that was the case then I guess everybody would choose between the big three high end Italian brands of Attolini , Brioni and Kiton . Of those three I would go for Brioni .

leapyourbar

Reaction score
great thread.

suits: orazio luciano
sports jackets: solito
shirts: anna matuozzo
ties: tie your tie
shoes: john lobb
sneakers: lanvin
coats: stoffa

leapyourbar

Reaction score
I didn’t realize Attolini has a boutique in Miami - I’ll have to visit.

What about Attolini’s fit do you prefer out of curiosity?

I feel like I missed the boat on Tom Ford ties. I own so many ties now I can’t really justify buying more, but I do own a couple Tom Ford’s and they are very nice.

Definitely agree with you on Lobb - for me, Lobb dress shoes are perfection.
It's in Bal Harbor. It is a beautiful outdoor mall. Worth a visit for Attolini alone, however they also have Santa Maria Novella. Also worth a visit.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Now that I think about it - I’d probably choose either Stefano Ricci or Italo Feretti over Brioni for ties.

Michael Reslan made the best ties I ever had by a mile though. I am lucky enough to own 6 of them. They make almost any other tie brand look pedestrian. Unfortunately he is not in business any longer to my knowledge.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see some people made a few new categories, so to my initial list I'll add:

Sneakers: Crown Northampton
Dress Coat: Loro Piana
Casual Coat: Barbour

SenatorV

Reaction score
Shirts: Fray
Ties: Turnbull & Asser
Shoes : Gaziano bespoke
Sneakers : Santoni
Knitwear : Loro Piana
Coats : Loro piana
Winter outerwear : Arc'teryx

But I thought the idea was to pick one brand for everything ? If that was the case then I guess everybody would choose between the big three high end Italian brands of Attolini , Brioni and Kiton . Of those three I would go for Brioni .
There's no one brand for everything. No bespoke tailor also makes shoes. Huntsman + Cleverley and you're done, although Budd also make lovely shirts.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no one brand for everything. No bespoke tailor also makes shoes. Huntsman + Cleverley and you're done, although Budd also make lovely shirts.
Charvet might be close. They can do everything but shoes. They'll even do bespoke underwear from I've heard.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Charvet might be close. They can do everything but shoes. They'll even do bespoke underwear from I've heard.
Bespoke…underwear. Now there’s something. Even in the 1% of the world, I can’t imagine everyone is running around getting bespoke underwear made. Maybe a few Russian Oligarchs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads