• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yokozuna

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I remember watching the sumo wrestling competitions on espn several years ago every week.
The amazing thing I learned was the no weight classes.

That is why my favorite sumo wrestler yokozuna is Wakanohana III, a relatively small wrestler who was able to defeat much larger opponents (here against Akebono) and achieve status of yokozuna for a short stint....

Who is your favorite yokozuna? or sumo wrestler? I also liked Takanohana as well.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The WWF one. R.I.P.
frown.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My all time favorite is Chiyonofuji. He was small like Wakanohana, but was much more muscular. I think he is near the top of the all time win record too.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of Tosa dogs, the "sumo wrestlers of the dog world," are named after famous Yokozunas. In the mid-90s a husband and wife team styling themselves "Yokozuna Tosa" imported a number of dogs for customers that they named after famous Yokozunas. A close friend of mine got Wakanohana. They called him "Deacon." I got Takamiyama, called him "Inazuma' (lightning) or "Zuma," for short--a gorgeous brindle dog. Losing him to bloat when he was barely three was one of the worst heartbreaks of my life.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Its really a toss up between Akebono and Takanohana. Their rivalry, outlined the modern golden age of Sumo, and both guys are real class acts.

Akebono might have gone non-traditionalist after his retirement, and many people disapprovingly mock his efforts as a pro-wrestler/K-1 fighter following his Sumo career, but while he was in his prime, he was a 6'8" 500+lb bulldozer, and put on a great show.

Takanohana played the David to Akebono's Goliath. He was smaller, faster, scrappy, and was the perfect foil, managing to win many of the head to head matchups between the two. Watching Takanohana battle Akebono became an epic saga, and an event.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Its really a toss up between Akebono and Takanohana. Their rivalry, outlined the modern golden age of Sumo, and both guys are real class acts.

Akebono might have gone non-traditionalist after his retirement, and many people disapprovingly mock his efforts as a pro-wrestler/K-1 fighter following his Sumo career, but while he was in his prime, he was a 6'8" 500+lb bulldozer, and put on a great show.

Takanohana played the David to Akebono's Goliath. He was smaller, faster, scrappy, and was the perfect foil, managing to win many of the head to head matchups between the two. Watching Takanohana battle Akebono became an epic saga, and an event.

smaller as in only 400lbs?
lol8[1].gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
takanohana was not that much smaller than akebono , because i think in actual muscle girth , takanohana might have been larger than akebono. but yes, i loved these two individuals , very softspoken and modest in the public i heard.

that is why i love wakanohana so much. he had to get around girth and weight with wily skills i do not know of in the sumo world, i just heard and read.

like vlade divac on shaquille during the sacramento vs lakers era several years ago.
or
maybe that is not a good analogy.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
My all time favorite is Chiyonofuji. He was small like Wakanohana, but was much more muscular. I think he is near the top of the all time win record too.

i never seen chiyonofuji. i dont think he was ever on espn II? i only saw the matches shown there several years ago. i will see if youtube has anything on him

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
smaller as in only 400lbs?
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by shoe
takanohana was not that much smaller than akebono
Uh... lets see... official weigh-in from match in Nov. 1994: Takanohana - 6'1" 311lbs (as an Ozeki, but its the match immediately preceding being promoted to Yokozuna) Akebono - 6'8" 1/4 498lbs. Seven inches and 187lbs seems like a pretty significant height/weight differential to me. Weight-wise, in his career Takanohana topped out at 331lbs. Akebono (during the same time period) topped out at 517lbs. So, in closing, you guys are smoking some crack.
smile.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Uh... lets see... official weigh-in from match in Nov. 1994:

Takanohana - 6'1" 311lbs (as an Ozeki, but its the match immediately preceding being promoted to Yokozuna)

Akebono - 6'8" 1/4 498lbs.

Seven inches and 187lbs seems like a pretty significant height/weight differential to me.

Weight-wise, in his career Takanohana topped out at 331lbs.
Akebono (during the same time period) topped out at 517lbs.

So, in closing, you guys are smoking some crack.
smile.gif

i stand corrected.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
actually the real-life sumo wrestler that best resembles E. Honda character is surprisingly Takanohana.

not in the face , but in the girth and body constitution. i would think.

Takanohana has lost alot of weight after his retirement, i was surprised to see a photo of him (on wiki) where he looks like a normal man.

sumo.jpg

here in my photo, you see , he literally looks like this in his prime. i saw a photo of him literally with his small face looked like a bean in a mass of mountainous flesh.
now he looks like below.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads