• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yankees - how/why do you do it?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Yankee but I love winter, which works out well since it's about 7 months long up here.

A bonus is that cold weather clothes >>> summer clothes.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doesn't really bother me. I enjoy the winter (although this one has been especially brutal, and I'm sick of it).

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People from sunny states who wonder how residents of the northeast survive remind me of suburbanites who wonder how people can live in the city. Just like there's a reason people are willing to pay $1 million for a one bedroom condo in NYC, there's a reason people are ready to live through the winter months in Boston, Chicago, NYC, and Montreal.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I'd like to live in LA for a few years. Can you put me up while I find a job/apt?

jesus christ, i just got one kid settled, i don't need another one. you can come for the weekend, but i'm counting the bags when you check in.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
People from sunny states who wonder how residents of the northeast survive remind me of suburbanites who wonder how people can live in the city. Just like there's a reason people are willing to pay $1 million for a one bedroom condo in NYC, there's a reason people are ready to live through the winter months in Boston, Chicago, NYC, and Montreal.

undoubtedly ... that's why we're asking what in the hell it could possibly be?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm somewhere in the middle on this. By the time I left, aside from the salt water, I loathed Florida. However, it would take a pretty extreme case for me to move north of the Mason Dixon. For me, Georgia and the Carolinas are the ideal climate - the seasons change, we get the hot summers (which I like), cool winters with the occasional cold spell (which I also like), and fall and spring days tend to be staggeringly beautiful.

What I wouldn't want is the extremes. Eight-month summers followed by four months of warm "winter" wasn't what I wanted, and that's one of the things that drove me from Florida. On the other hand, I can't imagine living with the long, cold winters Yankees have to negotiate.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
For me, Georgia and the Carolinas are the ideal climate - the seasons change, we get the hot summers (which I like), cool winters with the occasional cold spell (which I also like), and fall and spring days tend to be staggeringly beautiful.

And Tennessee, let's not forget Tennessee. Besides Memphis, doesn't get the scorching, humid summers like Atlanta (lived there for years so I know of what I speak) but still gets a fairly mild winter, with a bit of snow and moderate temperatures.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
jesus christ, i just got one kid settled, i don't need another one. you can come for the weekend, but i'm counting the bags when you check in.
smile.gif
I always make the bed before I leave!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the bed's gonna cost extra.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You live in a bumblefuck city. I live in Chicago. Ergo, I win regardless of weather situation. THAT is why the Yankees do it. Yankee cities are much better than the south.

Didn't you say you just stay at home all the time? Not sure why it matters where you live when you are at home 247 365

Originally Posted by foodguy
wrong. he lives in CHICAGO. what made you think he lived in Los Angeles?

I thought you asked about a "real city"?
confused.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tremble at the thought of leaving the confines of the Northeast elitist/intellectual culture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads