• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan's HK - Price Range for reasonable material?

apple3210

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so i've been reading that most ppl are paying around $1,000 to $1200 for a suit at Chan's in HK.

But is that dependent on the material? Are there better options for something in a more reasonable price range ie. $700?

will be first tailored suit. Off the rack seems to need too many adjustments.

or are there other tailors that can do a reasonable job? not looking for top top quality, just good enough.

(i would however love a top quality one if i had money
tongue.gif
)

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan is not the only tailor in HK. You have many options with $700.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Chan is not the only tailor in HK. You have many options with $700.

Which do not include Chan.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
I think you need to budget closer to $1,400 for a 2 piece with Chan. The one I have being made now is a Harrison's Fresco for HK$ 10,500 but prices went up the week after I ordered it

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Chan doesn't really have anything under $1200 per suit these days from what I recall. I'd try Peter Lee if you're looking for $700-ish suits.

apple3210

Reaction score
ok thanks for the suggestions on peter lee. will search about it on this forum.

do you guys have any opinions on peter lee? fit is most important to me rather than material atm.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apple3210
ok thanks for the suggestions on peter lee. will search about it on this forum.

do you guys have any opinions on peter lee? fit is most important to me rather than material atm.

Peter Lee has gotten favorable reviews on these forums.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Peter Lee has gottenfavorable reviews on these forums.

Which he will find if he searches.

apple3210

Reaction score
lol yep, sure has
tongue.gif
seems like he fits the budget i require. so anything you guys would personally ask him to do? how long does he usually take to complete a 2 piece suit? i'm only there for about 5 full days. and i'm totally clueless about what fabric i should ask for.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol yep, sure has
tongue.gif

seems like he fits the budget i require.

so anything you guys would personally ask him to do? how long does he usually take to complete a 2 piece suit? i'm only there for about 5 full days.

and i'm totally clueless about what fabric i should ask for.

Ask to see if his suits are fully canvassed. 5 days should be enopugh to make a suit.

Are you loking for a particular pattern for your suit?

apple3210

Reaction score
nup. just a basic normal grey suit for business attire. don't need something super good cos i'll be in my first year of work
smile.gif
so basically asked for a fully canvassed suit?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nup. just a basic normal grey suit for business attire.

don't need something super good cos i'll be in my first year of work
smile.gif

so basically asked for a fully canvassed suit?

Yes, and ask him to show you the fabric pattern in all brands that he has. Becareful of anyone sticking you the most expensive fabric there is. since you're not looking for anything special I'd go with VBC.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 days is often enough to get a suit made, but if Peter is slammed that week you can do the fittings, but he may have to ship you the suit after the final fitting adjustments. I've done that before with him and things worked out just fine. He's great to work with and is very accommodating.

Buster

Reaction score
I had a suit made by Peter in 5 days:
Monday morning measurements. Wednesday basted fitting. Friday full fitting (or forward fitting) and picked it up on Saturday after minor adjustments (with a final fitting). I could have picked it up before, but didn't want (and didn't have) to pressure him.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on Peter's service. Something went wrong with the shirt order of a colleague, and Peter was really good about dealing with it. He also does CMT, so half the fun could be in scouring the Internet looking for beautiful fabrics like some of us geeks. At the same cost level, I actually vastly prefer Dugdale over VBC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads