WW Chan Fabrics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Pink, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I've an appointment with Chan in L.A. on the 19th. This is my first appointment and I'm debating whether to order a suit or just shirts. But I'm wondering about the cost of fabrics. I understand that Loro Piano is the current sale fabric and it is not recommended. What are the costs (for a standard two piece suit) for the other choices, VBC, Clayton, H&S? What provides the most bang for the buck for a first Chan suit?

2. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I've an appointment with Chan in L.A. on the 19th. This is my first appointment and I'm debating whether to order a suit or just shirts. But I'm wondering about the cost of fabrics. I understand that Loro Piano is the current sale fabric and it is not recommended. What are the costs (for a standard two piece suit) for the other choices, VBC, Clayton, H&S? What provides the most bang for the buck for a first Chan suit?

My last suit was a VBC 120, 10oz.; it was not the available special, which was also Loro Piana. As I recall, it ran me $970.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Some of the Clayton non-supers are good values. At least they are in NY where I can pick them up retail. The Clayton supers have always seemed flimsy to me.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

At least one very fabric-wise forumite PM'ed me the other day. His opinion of the LP Super 120s were that they were good if the fabric weight was medium to heavy. I am going to inquire of Patrick what the weight(s) of the LP fabrics he has on special is (or are) before ruling them out altogether.

5. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

My first suit was a Clayton Super and I don't love the fabric. I have switched to Holland and Sherry and am very happy with the choice.

6. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

My first suit was a Clayton Super and I don't love the fabric. I have switched to Holland and Sherry and am very happy with the choice.

What's the average cost on Holland and Sherry fabrics?

7. hmhill

hmhill Active Member

What's the average cost on Holland and Sherry fabrics?

The charcoal suit I purchased in March 2006 was a Holland and Sherry 120s 10/11 ounce fabric. The price was $1425.

Max

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I also have Clayton 150 and though it feels nice, it doesn't drape so well. My next jacket is H&S, so we'll see how that turns out.

9. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The best "deal" is probably the VBC. The standard, non super H&S cloths will cost around $1250-1300 for a 2 piece suit. Chan don't have many books in those, though, just the Crispaires (great stuff, especially for So. Cal). They also have Scabal Supers (100, 120) that run about $1400-1600. I prefer the former, incl their 120's (Target). That is a very nice book.

For your first suit that is not liable to turn out perfect, and because it will need to be adjusted more than the latter, you'll probably want to order a VBC 120's (or 110's, which is a bit cheaper) solid or textured solid. I think it's at least equal to the heavier LPs (they don't get that heavy), while less expensive. Later on, when your pattern is down and you develop preferences, you will appreciate the better fabrics. You may even seek out your own cloths.

I've never seen and touched any Clayton cloths that aren't supers. I've never made an effort, though. Maybe they carry those, too. I suspect they would be as good as the VBCs.