• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan Fabrics

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I've an appointment with Chan in L.A. on the 19th. This is my first appointment and I'm debating whether to order a suit or just shirts. But I'm wondering about the cost of fabrics. I understand that Loro Piano is the current sale fabric and it is not recommended. What are the costs (for a standard two piece suit) for the other choices, VBC, Clayton, H&S? What provides the most bang for the buck for a first Chan suit?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
I've an appointment with Chan in L.A. on the 19th. This is my first appointment and I'm debating whether to order a suit or just shirts. But I'm wondering about the cost of fabrics. I understand that Loro Piano is the current sale fabric and it is not recommended. What are the costs (for a standard two piece suit) for the other choices, VBC, Clayton, H&S? What provides the most bang for the buck for a first Chan suit?

My last suit was a VBC 120, 10oz.; it was not the available special, which was also Loro Piana. As I recall, it ran me $970.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Some of the Clayton non-supers are good values. At least they are in NY where I can pick them up retail. The Clayton supers have always seemed flimsy to me.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least one very fabric-wise forumite PM'ed me the other day. His opinion of the LP Super 120s were that they were good if the fabric weight was medium to heavy. I am going to inquire of Patrick what the weight(s) of the LP fabrics he has on special is (or are) before ruling them out altogether.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first suit was a Clayton Super and I don't love the fabric. I have switched to Holland and Sherry and am very happy with the choice.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
My first suit was a Clayton Super and I don't love the fabric. I have switched to Holland and Sherry and am very happy with the choice.

What's the average cost on Holland and Sherry fabrics?

hmhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
What's the average cost on Holland and Sherry fabrics?

The charcoal suit I purchased in March 2006 was a Holland and Sherry 120s 10/11 ounce fabric. The price was $1425.

Max

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have Clayton 150 and though it feels nice, it doesn't drape so well. My next jacket is H&S, so we'll see how that turns out.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best "deal" is probably the VBC. The standard, non super H&S cloths will cost around $1250-1300 for a 2 piece suit. Chan don't have many books in those, though, just the Crispaires (great stuff, especially for So. Cal). They also have Scabal Supers (100, 120) that run about $1400-1600. I prefer the former, incl their 120's (Target). That is a very nice book.

For your first suit that is not liable to turn out perfect, and because it will need to be adjusted more than the latter, you'll probably want to order a VBC 120's (or 110's, which is a bit cheaper) solid or textured solid. I think it's at least equal to the heavier LPs (they don't get that heavy), while less expensive. Later on, when your pattern is down and you develop preferences, you will appreciate the better fabrics. You may even seek out your own cloths.

I've never seen and touched any Clayton cloths that aren't supers. I've never made an effort, though. Maybe they carry those, too. I suspect they would be as good as the VBCs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads