• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you tell?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I was with my ex for just under two years. She is great, and we have a cordial post-breakup relationship to this day. Her family have, on the whole, been great to me. That includes The Sister - who, as much as I used to whine about her, is actually a pretty ok-kinna-girl.

The Sister likes it the old man. She is 30. Her last bf was 49 (and broke and useless, but kind of a young 49 if that is at all possible). He was replaced by a 54 year old with kids almost as old as his new gf. He is definitely not young-seeming in anyway. He creeps me out to be completely honest.

Anyhow, he arrived on the scene shortly before I departed, so none of my business basically.

So on Tuesday I have a business meeting, and I learn that he is the boss of one of my potential clients - essentially he would be the guy paying the bills, despite the fact that I would have nothing to do with him. In the course of conversation I learn my ex's sister far from his only girlfriend floating around this long narrow land of money-chasin-hotties, and, not only that, he is, ostensibly, still married.

His wife lives in Thailand with their kids. He tells it as a virtual divorce with paperwork remaining...but the delays in paperwork apparently are because...there is no paperwork. They're in a distance thing, and when he heads to Thailand, it is, apparently, all happy families again.

My ex is, apparently, pretty fond of the guy. "He treats me like a sister" seems to be her position on the matter.

So.....if you were me...would you tell the ex about her sister's boyfriends proclivities? It pretty much has business consequences for me (hard to imagine I would win the client after revealing that), but at the same time, both her and her sister are Good Peoples, and her sister really doesn't deserve the treatment she is unknowingly getting.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
her sister really doesn't deserve the treatment she is unknowingly getting.
Are you sure she does not know? Maybe she does and is merely delusional, in which case she would probably get mad at you.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Objectively you have no moral obligation, imo, to tell such to the sister of an ex-girlfriend. Personally I think I would feel the obligation anyway and would brach(?) the subject circumspectively with either ex or sister depending on the dept of the relationship. Would that be wise? Probably not.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
So.....if you were me...would you tell the ex about her sister's boyfriends proclivities? It pretty much has business consequences for me (hard to imagine I would win the client after revealing that)...
If there were no consequences for you, you would obviously tell her because it's the right thing to do. Don't avoid doing the right thing just because it may have consequences for you in this case.

Tardek

Reaction score
It's none of your business, keep well and truly out of it.

Or, if you want to pass the buck, tell the ex, and let her decide whether or not to tell the sister.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hard call, but I thing that Dah is right, you should tell. although I am thinking that anyone who hangs out with a guy in that situation has to know that that is more or less the case.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are a few too many degrees separated from knowing what is the real story about that guy. I might say something to your ex but the most you could really say is that her sister should be careful because you had heard some rumours.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
another thing I just thought of, Matt - you are an employee, of course a higly placed one, but you also have responsibilities to your company and to your staff. not that one customer is going to make a difference, but that is something that has to be taken into consideration, too.

even with that, though, I would probrably feel that the best thing is to tell.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dah and Globe are right on this one. I agree that the woman involved would have to be very self-deluded not to know what's up with the man in question, but never underestimate stupidity. As a matter of getting the message across in a way that it can be heard, communicating via your ex might or might not be the best path.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
There is a good chance that deep down she knows. She'll likely lash out at you and ignore your advice.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. IMHO the sister is chasing these considerably older men for a reason, and if he does have a few on the line and trips back home to family, then she would have to be blind to think she's the only one. I could be quite wrong though.

I think that instead of spilling the beans outright, I'd ask a few questions and see if this is something she already knows.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I was with my ex for just under two years. She is great, and we have a cordial post-breakup relationship to this day. Her family have, on the whole, been great to me. That includes The Sister - who, as much as I used to whine about her, is actually a pretty ok-kinna-girl.

The Sister likes it the old man. She is 30. Her last bf was 49 (and broke and useless, but kind of a young 49 if that is at all possible). He was replaced by a 54 year old with kids almost as old as his new gf. He is definitely not young-seeming in anyway. He creeps me out to be completely honest.

Anyhow, he arrived on the scene shortly before I departed, so none of my business basically.

So on Tuesday I have a business meeting, and I learn that he is the boss of one of my potential clients - essentially he would be the guy paying the bills, despite the fact that I would have nothing to do with him. In the course of conversation I learn my ex's sister far from his only girlfriend floating around this long narrow land of money-chasin-hotties, and, not only that, he is, ostensibly, still married.

His wife lives in Thailand with their kids. He tells it as a virtual divorce with paperwork remaining...but the delays in paperwork apparently are because...there is no paperwork. They're in a distance thing, and when he heads to Thailand, it is, apparently, all happy families again.

My ex is, apparently, pretty fond of the guy. "He treats me like a sister" seems to be her position on the matter.

So.....if you were me...would you tell the ex about her sister's boyfriends proclivities? It pretty much has business consequences for me (hard to imagine I would win the client after revealing that), but at the same time, both her and her sister are Good Peoples, and her sister really doesn't deserve the treatment she is unknowingly getting.

No, do not tell. Business comes before the family of exes you are cool with.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Not only should you not tell, squirrel this thread right now. Never, ever, ever get in the middle of someone else's relationship. You will be deemed the bad guy, in 99.9999% of cases, even if you reveal to the "good person" that the other party in the relationship is a mass murderer, ******, wears black odd trousers, and doesn't call his mother on her birthday.

I'm not kidding, this will happen.

I learned my lesson when my sister's now ex beat the **** out of her one too many times, and I went over and returned the favor to him. My sister didn't talk to me for five years. That's an extreme case, but lesson was learned. You just don't interfere in other people's relationship.

Not only will you lose the business, you're likely to also lose the relationship you value with your ex and her family.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solarpanel3000