• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you send your children to boarding school?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If, given you have enough money, would you send your children to boarding school?

The major advantage I see is that it would free you up to travel. Rather selfish thinking, I admit. But perhaps the boarding school atmosphere is better for children to learn and socialize. I believe much of the British elite went to boarding schools and they seem to have turned out alright.

I don't have kids and am nowhere near that point, just curious.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I believe much of the British elite went to boarding schools and they seem to have turned out alright.
If by alright you mean weirdly fixated on scat/gay jokes then you are right. Joking aside, I didn't go to boarding school, I don't like communal living and wouldn't have enjoyed it but my sister boarded and loved it and my brother weekly boards (home most weekends) and loves it. Partly the decision for them to board was because the "right" school was a bit too far away to make living at home practical, and partly because they wanted to go. I think boarding school can be good for some children, but you have to take into account what they need and want, not just what the parent wants. My father and some of my cousins were shipped off to boarding school without really any say in the matter at young ages (4 in my fathers case) and had more mixed experiences. A long, long, long way from being a parent myself as well, but those are my thoughts on it.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are boarding schools for the parents' conveniences and then there are boarding schools that provide kids with advantages associated with that type of education.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boarding school was awesome. Most of my friends loved it. If I had kids and the money to send them, I'd definitely do it, as much for the kids as for myself. There was no better time in my life, imo. At 40-50k/yr though, it's not likely I'll be sending mine there unless a company pays for it because I'm living over seas. I'll definitely send them to private schools as day students though.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I had the money to send my 3 kids to good boarding schools, I would. but I ahve to say that if the possibility were real, I may have trouble doing it. I like having my kids around. summer camp is something else - I can't wait for all my kids to go to summer camp so that my wife and I can travel

emc894

Reaction score
I went to one of the boarding schools already mentioned and plan to send my kids their.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
I went to one of the boarding schools already mentioned and plan to send my kids their.

ok, I am the last person is the world to comment on spelling, but if I spent 40-50K a year on my kids education, I would like them to spell "there" correctly.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, I am the last person is the world to comment on spelling, but if I spent 40-50K a year on my kids education, I would like them to spell "there" correctly.

Owned.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I know some people who went to places like Lawrenceville, St.Paul's, Andover, etc.

Some of these schools were alarmingly progressive.

In America at least, the old networks and assurred pipelines into the toniest colleges aren't what they used to be. Even at St. Grottlesex and the Phillipses, they are a bit more where divorced parents park their kids, particularly since it has become more normal and expected in intact families to keep your teenagers close. Day schools have gotten a lot better also.

I'm puzzling over this myself for my boy...but in the Boston area, there are terrific independant day schools and many of the public schools are exceptional. If you live in a non or anti-intellectual part of the country, you might feel differently.

Schools are often better than parents: given a significant dillution of social uniformity, though, it's no longer assumed you will send your child off. Quite the contrary.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I had kids, I would, if they wanted to go. I would suggest they apply. This is exactly what my parents did, and I decided to apply but go to school near home.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serious question: what is the advantage/point of boarding school? Are the kids supposed to study harder because there are less distractions? Does it make them more independent, or better disciplined? Or make more connections/friendships? Also why is it so popular in England?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads