• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would I be Hermes man...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Me too! Although I did blow an entire paycheck once on a pair of Hedi for YSL silk judo pants. Yum!

That stuff is totally coming back w. KVA (when he does something good) and Raf before him. Now that Damir Doma wants to be a luxury brand designer a-la Lanvin or YSL he's also aligning with that tailored/loose group.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
That stuff is totally coming back w. KVA (when he does something good) and Raf before him. Now that Damir Doma wants to be a luxury brand designer a-la Lanvin or YSL he's also aligning with that tailored/loose group.

Yeah, I need to start looking again... honestly with work, research, etc. since about AW2006, I've been out of the loop. As well, my wardrobe about reached maximum occupancy, so I've slowly been clearing stuff out since then.

I also had some of the super-embroidered Hedi for Dior stuff in 2002. I don't recall EVER finding an occasion to wear it, but it was so cool. I miss being in my 20's and having fun finding new fashion stuff. It feels today like menswear is almost too super-saturated. You have literally 130 choices for every aesthetic at every pricepoint.
lol8[1].gif
It used to be so much easier (haha).

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone who is pretty much a world class expert on suiting (professional not amateur) flat out told me the odds of getting a Savile row bespoke suit that had as clean stitching and other niceties as a Tom Ford suit was pretty low.

Humphfff, suits still require people making suits, not perfectionist terminator machines. If Tom Ford uses best tailors, he will have truly brilliant suits. I have not heard anyone say anything bad about Tom Ford, so I will have to agree and say it is possible his suits could match the best out of Saville row.

Remember though, tailors make suits. Better tailor and materials = better suits. I would have a tough time believing though a $10K Bespoke suit would be worse than Tom Ford. For very serious money, the suit would have to be near perfect. With Bespoke you get what you pay for.

Truth is many "fashion' brand release items w. excellent construction amd materials, from Givenchy hoodies to Thom Browne suits.

Of course, their top lines have to be good items, otherwise their reputations would be shot to pieces. My biggest complaint with brand labelling is there are too many mediocre items that are overpriced. True, you can find a good Giorgio Armani piece for $700, but then drop down to Emporio Armani you get much bigger junk that is priced at half that. Most fashion labels are same. Some very good stuff, and some very average stuff for too much money. I would rather pay more and get excellent, than pay less and get weak. Some labels like Dior or YSL are much more consistent than others. Gucci/Prada/Versace etc is hit and miss for me.

It just sounds that, like many of us, you moved on from "fashion" suits. That's fine, and that's good. BUT, again, all of this discussion is based upon a comparison of apples to oranges.

You are right.

FTR I don't buy prada suits either. I buy unique runway items, like those jackets, but I'd not buy a Prada for a "standard" suit. There are many other makers I'd choose before Prada. Among fashion brands, I've always like Jil Sander tailor-made suits, but even then, for standard suits, lots of others I'd choose first...

Agreed! Did not want to argue too much on brand labels - there is some good stuff, some bad stuff etc... I see you are quite well balanced - you are like me - buy because you like, brand is second.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
True this is observational evidence, and perhaps Im wrong. Perhaps Im biased against brands hence weighting my arguments to support my bias, but nonetheless, I do feel the big fashion brands are not producing the quality that matches the price.

Well, I don't know if Brooks Brothers is qualified for the big fashion brands, but I find them to be reasonable. One thing that they stand out is their customer service and the quality of their products.

It feels today like menswear is almost too super-saturated. You have literally 130 choices for every aesthetic at every pricepoint.
lol8[1].gif

I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but I thought that having clothes which are saturated is a good thing. It makes each of us unqiue and different in the way that we want to express ourselves. Isn't a bad thing?

Brosef

Reaction score
"by the way something interesting about the Gardens mall washrooms , in order to enter the washrooms there are things that you need to present or else you have to pay MYR 5

If you present any of these only then you are eligible to enter their washrooms for free:

ISETAN membership card
Garden Hotel & Residence room card
Receipt of over MYR 100 from any boutiques
Platinum Card

the idea is a lot better than Pavilion's VIP toilet because they dont put any requirement to enter and I dont feel i am important enough so I normally just go for the serf's toilet"

oh god.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Tom Ford suits are made by Zegna and are without a doubt better quality then anything Zegna makes. Just saying.

No. At least the Couture line has (spectacularly) hand-made buttonholes.

Oh. ^^ Somebody beat me to it.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I need to start looking again... honestly with work, research, etc. since about AW2006, I've been out of the loop. As well, my wardrobe about reached maximum occupancy, so I've slowly been clearing stuff out since then.

I also had some of the super-embroidered Hedi for Dior stuff in 2002. I don't recall EVER finding an occasion to wear it, but it was so cool. I miss being in my 20's and having fun finding new fashion stuff. It feels today like menswear is almost too super-saturated. You have literally 130 choices for every aesthetic at every pricepoint.
lol8[1].gif

hedis early stuff was unreal, i had never wanted to buy designer as much as dior hommes' early when he was at the helm. His ad campaigns were amazing too. Sometimes i wish i had a time machine to go back to early 2000s to snap up a ton of ysl,dior homme and cloak. Nobody makes that style AND quality anymore.
frown.gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man
Well, I don't know if Brooks Brothers is qualified for the big fashion brands, but I find them to be reasonable. One thing that they stand out is their customer service and the service of their products.

I would not consider BB to be a fashion brand. BB are great value for money - you get good stuff without breaking the bank. True much of their items do not have the same panache as some fashion brands, but if you like conservative clothing, BB makes more sense. I like them and support them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads