• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst.faux.pas.ever

Reaction score
a while ago i was wearing tails but at the time i wasn't very.. methodical about it. ie. i didn't bother learning what tails were called (white tie.. big mistake). i wore a black tie (with a point collar) instead of a white one.

i can't imagine what other people were thinking. it certainly looks odd, looking back..

arrgh.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did people mistake you for the waiter and order drinks? Waiters wear black tie with tails.

davei

Reaction score
Ha, I can beat that easily: I once wore a grey DB pinstripe suit with cherry red Doc Martens boots to a job interview. I don't remember the shirt and tie, but it was probably something equally horrendous like a green check shirt and blue tie. Got the job though
smile.gif

Reaction score
Did people mistake you for the waiter and order drinks? Waiters wear black tie with tails.
no, i think most people didn't know about the rules of dressing either, i saw guys in a grey morning coat and frock coat.. (this was an evening function btw)

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suppose one man's faux pas is another man's trend setting. It just depends on your standing within society whether people regard you as a poor twit who does not know any better or that genius of style, who not only breaks the rules, but even gets away with it.

When the then Prince of Wales (later Duke of Windsor) started wearing suede shoes in town (until then only reserved for country pursuits) he committed a faux pas and created a new trend, both at the same time. The same thing, when Andy Warhol started to combine a blazer with blue jeans. Or another Prince of Wales got caught in the rain and stopped at a farmhouse to have his trousers pressed; the poor farmer's wife didn't know about fashionable society and ironed the trousers like her sheets or table cloths: with a distinctive crease down the middle. The crease has been there ever since.

Rules are there to be broken, just do it boldly. Davei, with a bit more chutzpah, you might have created a new trend in combining colored Dr Martens with formal suits. (Who knows, maybe that day, when Andy Warhol wore a blazer with jeans; it was only for the reason that his grey flannels were at the cleaners.)

General Koskov

Reaction score
If anything, wearing a non-white tie with a tailcoat ought to be encouraged if it helps bring back the tailcoat for
'ordinary' evening-out wear (I am not so mad as to believe that everyone will be dressing in tails for dinner at home in my lifetime).

I mean, can you imagine wearing the same evening suit for dining out all the time? Admittedly white tie looks good, but I have no doubt that people will want some variety. Save matching vests and ties, that's a good thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads