• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World's Biggest Airport Completed

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
So, they can't build schools that can withstand earth quakes, but they can go and make this.

I saw it at about 90% completion when I was in Beijing this spring. I guess that I should clarify that...I saw only the faint outline of it from the old airport that is only a few hundred meters away. The bulk of the structure was hidden from a very thick and well placed veil of smog. I imagine that the construction company put up this absurdly thick screen of smog around the airport to ensure that no one could get a sneak peak before the official unveiling. Unfortunately, the construction company was a little too zealous in their application of this smog screen because they accidentally covered the whole city in it.

I expect this airport to last about as long as my dorms in Beijing did, so in 6 months the walls will be cracked and seeping water, the electrical will be failing, the toilets won't be functioning, and the air conditioning will blow hot air. But! The security cameras will work perfectly.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is rather true--the Shanghai Pudong Airport was opened to great but dubious acclaim a few years ago, but when I was last there, it had an air of premature decrepitude.

The design already looked tackily dated; the business class lounge was nothing but a thread-worn glorified smoking lounge with a set of bathrooms to make it "business class"alongside some canned sodas and native foods; the actual smoking lounge was this interrogation-like room downstairs by the single bathroom--imagine a huge terminal waiting area with only one set of underground bathrooms that looked cheap and shoddy to begin with.

The parking area was this awful and shabbily designed afterthought with cranky, dirty elevators and hideous lack of design, concrete walls cracked and grimy--it wasn't unlike a converted factory building from the early '80s.

However, there did seem to be a copious amount of obscure bureaucratic offices.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crazy, but isn't Dubai working on a new airport that's supposed to be biggest in the world when its complete?

Casey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Massive, sterile and depressing. I wonder how many Chinese poor were turned into landless, homeless poor in order to build this monument to capitalist ambitions.

You know, it's not so bad when there's people in it. I can't say anything about the poor though.

Caomhanach

Reaction score
Information smuggled out by tibetan refuges claims the chief designer was summarily executed and his family billed 17 cents for the bullet. The heroic PRC squadron that collided with our recon aircraft in international waters came in for a ceremonial landing. Of the 12 Mig 17s, 9 were damaged when they went off the runway. It seems either the engineer made the runway 5 miles wide and only 300 meters long, or the heroic PRC needs more flight time. But in the PRC, those with bullets make the rules.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Crazy, but isn't Dubai working on a new airport that's supposed to be biggest in the world when its complete?

Yes. If it's not the biggest by the time it's done I'm sure they'll add a bunch of stuff onto it to make it the biggest.

JB

w.mj

Reaction score
Great pictures, zupermaus.

As to the various "how many peasants were starved" comments: fine. But surely the people who designed the airport are not the same ones starving peasants. It's possible to admire the accomplishment of a maturing country without pointing constantly (and tediously) to its blemishes.

bkk

Reaction score
Its a thread about an airport, nothing politically motivated. Just enjoy the airport for what it is, dammit.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like Hong Kong's CLK Airport on steroid, similar layout and design, especially those catwalks by the entrance. Conspicuously absent from the terminal were those red propaganda banners.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've visited a lot of Chinese buildings, and this airport's design and materials looks no different from any of them. That marble is especially ubiquitous.

I have no idea Norman Foster designed so many buildings in China.

Caomhanach

Reaction score
If it was some recycled Korea war training base with a limp windsock, greasy spoon cafe and Jimmy Stewart pilot with three days beard I would enjoy it. But this is not just a cigar anymore than Leni Riefenstahl directed Plan 9 from Outer Space. But such efforts remind me of a poem about a monument in the sand- "I am great Ozymandius. "

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads