• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

working for Nordstrom

repressedm

Reaction score
Would they accept someone for summer work only? The store nearest me has put some ads up online. Any tips for getting the job?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lie like hell on the bullshit pop psychology personality test they make you take. Its about 45 pages long.

Still smarting from when the bastards didn't hire me in high school.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A kid works at mine that gauged his ears out so they have massive holes. I assume they make him take the rings/pegs out when he works because every time I see him he just has two masses of flesh dangling from the sides of his head.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
A kid works at mine that gauged his ears out so they have massive holes. I assume they make him take the rings/pegs out when he works because every time I see him he just has two masses of flesh dangling from the sides of his head.

Why would they hire him in the first place? Empty ear-holes sound more grotesque than plugged ear-holes.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif
Let's see if the "authority" comes in to give a word based on experience...

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not the most honest route, but don't tell them it's a "summer job." just give at least 2 weeks notice when you're quitting.

also, most employers looking for summer help will indicate that in the job description, anyways.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
^^and who are you referring to there?
Wouldn't want to give away the surprise in case they decide to chime in. I will say that the person is presently working there as we post now.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
a lot of people are regular temps, aka they come work every summer and holiday, since extra people get hired for that purpose anyway.

do the excruciating application, go to the interview and ham it up, talk to some mangers, get hired. work the sale, make lots of money, repeat.

tundrafour

Reaction score
I have never seen as many co-workers randomly break down in tears and have nervous breakdowns as I did working for Nordstrom. Not because of difficulty or pressure (obviously) but because of the dehumanizing, saccharine, cult-like company culture.

(IMHO, IME, maybe it was just our manager, etc.)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My stepson had a bad experience working at Nordstrom several years ago. He applied at the begining of summer. They kept him dangling for quite a while and then hired him on for their Anniversay Sale at the end of July. He was working in the "Rail" section at the South Coast Nordstrom's. They hired on a slew of young people who were told that the top couple of performers would be hired on permanently. He found the environment very cutthroat with many of the other sales associates trying to steal sales from him and successfully doing so. After really working hard for about three weeks, he was told not to bother to come in for the final days of the sale. His total earnings came to a measly $400. He has had a strong antipathy to Nordstrom since then.

I talked about this with one of the sales associates at the Santa Ana Main Place Nordstrom's. He said the atmosphere at South Coast, since it's a "flagship" store was much more "sharky" (his adjective) than at other Nordstrom's. I can't help wondering whether my boy would have done better at a smaller, more low-key Nordstrom's.

He had largely been inspired by his cousin, who had done very well selling men's shoes at a Nordstrom's in San Diego for several years. However, she is a very pretty young woman and thus could use the magic power of T&A on her customers. My boy might have done much better had he put in for selling women's shoes, being a very good-looking lad himself.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JLibourel;1121474 said:
My stepson had a bad experience working at Nordstrom several years ago. He applied at the begining of summer. They kept him dangling for quite a while and then hired him on for their Anniversay Sale at the end of July. He was working in the "Rail" section at the South Coast Nordstrom's. They hired on a slew of young people who were told that the top couple of performers would be hired on permanently. He found the environment very cutthroat with many of the other sales associates trying to steal sales from him and successfully doing so. After really working hard for about three weeks, he was told not to bother to come in for the final days of the sale. His total earnings came to a measly $400. He has had a strong antipathy to Nordstrom since then.

I talked about this with one of the sales associates at the Santa Ana Main Place Nordstrom's. He said the atmosphere at South Coast, since it's a "flagship" store was much more "sharky" (his adjective) than at other Nordstrom's. I can't help wondering whether my boy would have done better at a smaller, more low-key Nordstrom's.

He had largely been inspired by his cousin, who had done very well selling men's shoes at a Nordstrom's in San Diego for several years. However, she is a very pretty young woman and thus could use the magic power of T&A on her customers. My boy might have done much better had he put in for selling women's shoes, being a very good-looking lad himself.[/QUOTE]

pics or it never happened.

repressedm

Reaction score
Now I am wondering if I am good-looking or not. I think I am okay, but I am a little heavier than I was in the past when I was getting a lot of girls. (I have a stable girlfriend now)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics