• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

milw50717

Reaction score
Half sole now or later - I personally don't think there is an advantage and where I grew up it was customary to wear the shoes for a while before taking them to the cobblers for Topys. Not sure if there is any science behind that, it was just what was done.

Vibram soles - If a cobbler stocks Vibram dress soles, they should be able to order anything from the Vibram catalogue. US catalogue is online - http://www.vibram.com/vibramrepair/cat_pdf/cat_US.pdf - ad the thickness of the soles is given.

NYRICO

Reaction score
Half sole now or later - I personally don't think there is an advantage and where I grew up it was customary to wear the shoes for a while before taking them to the cobblers for Topys. Not sure if there is any science behind that, it was just what was done.

Vibram soles - If a cobbler stocks Vibram dress soles, they should be able to order anything from the Vibram catalogue. US catalogue is online - http://www.vibram.com/vibramrepair/cat_pdf/cat_US.pdf - ad the thickness of the soles is given.
I agree that the half sole now or later shouldn't matter. I cheated around after posting and created an account on Vibram.com it looks like the dress half sole is 2.5mm and the raptor is 4mm, I guess I am trying to figure out in my mind what difference 1.5mm will make. I wanted the half commando sole like on my Redwing Beckman Chukka, but, that sole is sewn into the sole stack, sort of dove tailed for lack of a better term, and so a couple of mm are in the sole and not sticking out , if that makes sense.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok all this talk of the rubber soles...what sole should i get if i want to make it as "winter proof" as possible?

i really want these things to be able to handle some slush but also look good in the office.

i am sure it has been answered but i plan on pulling the trigger soon and there are quite a few pages to sift through.

thanks!

jockstick

Reaction score
I just received my brown's today and there's a noticeable raised line/crease in both toe boxes, I assume from a stretching step in the manufacturing process. I think it's very unsightly and I'm worried it'll affect the way my boots age. (They're not factory seconds). I haven't worn them yet, do you guys think Wolverine will replace these?

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score
What you are seeing is the plastic toecap inside the leather.I wouldn't worry, have a look at some worn 1K boots and you will see it is very common for creases to develop in this area. Yours just have them sooner than others.

milw50717

Reaction score

I agree that the half sole now or later shouldn't matter.  I cheated around after posting and created an account on Vibram.com  it looks like the dress half sole is 2.5mm and the raptor is 4mm, I guess I am trying to figure out in my mind what difference 1.5mm will make.  I wanted the half commando sole like on my Redwing Beckman Chukka, but, that sole is sewn into the sole stack, sort of dove tailed for lack of a better term,  and so a couple of mm are in the sole and not sticking out , if that makes sense.

1.5mm of tread might just save the day, as it is 1.5mm of tread that the dress soles do not have.

I have Red Wing GT boots that have the same type of sole. Vibram do lug half-soles with a similar commando tread that are 5.3mm, so even more tread to save the day, but less, err, dressy than the dress sole.

NYRICO

Reaction score
Just got back from my Cobbler, he is ordering me the Vibram Raptor, it is a in between in thickness, but, has a nice aggressive tread.

mg2380

Reaction score
ok all this talk of the rubber soles...what sole should i get if i want to make it as "winter proof" as possible?

i really want these things to be able to handle some slush but also look good in the office.

i am sure it has been answered but i plan on pulling the trigger soon and there are quite a few pages to sift through.

thanks!
Go with the Vibram Raptor. They work well here in CO.

Pecan89

Reaction score
That raptor sole is definitely badass, looking back I would have been happier requesting them over the dress sole

Although the dress sole does look very nice and clean.From the sides it looks like a standard leather sole

NYRICO

Reaction score
That raptor sole is definitely badass, looking back I would have been happier requesting them over the dress sole

Although the dress sole does look very nice and clean.From the sides it looks like a standard leather sole
I thought long and hard about the dress sole, it does look very clean and it was a plus that it matched the heel. I am just afraid that there is not enough traction. I am hoping that the Raptor will not significantly change the look of my boot although who looks at the bottom of your boot?

NYRICO

Reaction score

milw50717

Reaction score

That was the last picture I found before I went to my Cobbler to ask him to order the Raptors for me.  I wanted a side view with raptors, but , couldn't find one. When you have these installed do they have to repaint the sides of the outsole, how do they trim the half sole and have it sit flush and clean , for lack of a better term?  

Once glued, they trim and buff on a wheel. Edge dressing can be applied if required.

NYRICO

Reaction score
Thank you. I want to make sure that they look right when I get them back. I Never used this cobbler, or any other for that matter as these and my recently purchased RW Beckmans are the only real decent footwear I have ever owned,but, they have a good rating on Google +

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad