• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. He wore them daily far 3 seasons. Let's assume that he didn't wear them *exactly* every day, but that still gives a decent shot of having been worn 200 times. For leather soles, that's about the over/under for most people. I've seen people have soles wear through in only a couple of months of walking on asphalt, and I've seen others go years without needing soles. In general, the only thing that would have changed by not wearing them every day is that they would have taken longer to get to 200 wearings. There's no functional difference between wearing your shoes every day for 9 months and wearing them every other day for 18 months. The idea that it makes them "last" longer is just an illusion based on you swapping them out (okay, there might be some longevity benefits to it, but I think they're over exagerated. Case in point, look at Crane's boots).

Of course, a half-sole is a fine idea depending on conditions.

tl;dr; wear the crap out of your boots, treat 'em well, and if you're walking on sharp rocks you might need a half sole (though I'm a huge fan now of neo-cork soles).
Some of this isn't true for more reasons that I want to go into. You've already made up your mind, so to each her/his own.

I'm the one who's notorious for saying wear the hell out of them. I'm also the guy that's made it a point to explain almost every conceivable problem or condition and how to deal with it. ****** advice? I don't think so.
Yes, as stated, the advice presented was absolutely shxtty. I can't speak about any extra advice that may or may not have been given.

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
Some of this isn't true for more reasons that I want to go into. You've already made up your mind, so to each her/his own.

Yes, as stated, the advice presented was absolutely shxtty. I can't speak about any extra advice that may or may not have been given.
OK I'll bite.

Can you please state WHY it was bad advice?

As far as I have seen, Crane's has put his boots through more anything than anyone on this thread would ever do and his seem to have held up fine.

I'd bet 90% of the readers of this thread are buying these for casual use and can expect the same longevity or more if they followed his advice.

What are YOUR tips for boot use? Saying it was shi**y advice without offering some knowledge to back that statement is kind of useless.

cj10

Reaction score
if i were to add the vibram half sole to my wolverine courtland boot, will wolverine still repair/change my sole if it is needed or would they not do it due to the modification.
im intending to use my redwing boot cream(neutral) on my wolverine boots I'm wondering if it is ok or not
p.s im new here and am getting my first boot(s) the wolverine courtland and red wing iron ranger both at the same time

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if i were to add the vibram half sole to my wolverine courtland boot, will wolverine still repair/change my sole if it is needed or would they not do it due to the modification.
im intending to use my redwing boot cream(neutral) on my wolverine boots I'm wondering if it is ok or not
p.s im new here and am getting my first boot(s) the wolverine courtland and red wing iron ranger both at the same time

Halfsoles usually don't change whether your shoe can be recrafted by the manufacturer. Usually it takes a significant amount of change/modification. That said, I now have mixed feelings about half-soles. A lot of people wear their boots too short length-wise (including me until recently), and don't have enough room in front of the joint of their toe to flex the front part of the boot (it's a leverage thing). A half-sole furthers this issue, as it will increase the amount of torque needed to flex the front of the boot. The *potential* outcome of a poorly fitting boot and a half-sole is that the boot won't flex much or at all, and each step will drive your big toe into the front of the boot.

Some of this isn't true for more reasons that I want to go into. You've already made up your mind, so to each her/his own. Yes, as stated, the advice presented was absolutely shxtty. I can't speak about any extra advice that may or may not have been given.

I actually had this recent discussion on the Alden thread, because the boots I'm wearing like this are Indy boots. (They might not be quite as rugged as W1K's but they are Natural CXL, have a more orthopedically shaped toe box, and I love the neo-cork soles for durability). The best reaction I got to how I cared for my boots was polite skepticism, most people gave me downright disapproval. Most advice comes down to "if you wear them every other day they'll last twice as long!" "Your boot can't possibly dry out enough from your foot in only 12 hours." Of course that ignores the fact that every other day for two years isn't really different than every day for for one year. I even got a recommendation that if I like this style enough to wear every day, I should buy a second pair of identical boots and rotate them... !

I'll be honest, I actually frequent this thread because it's the only proper boot-care thread on SF. I don't actually wear W1K's right now at all (that might change if they ever release them in natural cxl) but the rest of SF is all about how to wear boots as dress boots only. This is the only thread where the majority opinion is "wear 'em as boots".

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? Well in my world talk is cheap. I made my case by physically demonstrating pretty much everything i said for the last 4 years. As far as I'm concerned you don't want to get into it because you really have no reasons other than because I said so.

cj10

Reaction score
Halfsoles usually don't change whether your shoe can be recrafted by the manufacturer. Usually it takes a significant amount of change/modification. That said, I now have mixed feelings about half-soles. A lot of people wear their boots too short length-wise (including me until recently), and don't have enough room in front of the joint of their toe to flex the front part of the boot (it's a leverage thing). A half-sole furthers this issue, as it will increase the amount of torque needed to flex the front of the boot. The *potential* outcome of a poorly fitting boot and a half-sole is that the boot won't flex much or at all, and each step will drive your big toe into the front of the boot.
what if i wear them for a few months first to break in the boots.....or is it something that even breaking in doesnt help?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it just me or does something about that hole in the sole picture look off?

It doesn't look off to me. The hole has depth because the leather isn't compressed under weight. It look like a typical worn out sole to me.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can i use red wing boot cream on my 1000 mile boot

That's a wax and not a conditioner. If you want some shine you can use it. It's not a conditioner or waterproofer.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It doesn't look off to me. The hole has depth because the leather isn't compressed under weight. It look like a typical worn out sole to me.

Was just the light area around the hole. I suppose that'd dry out a lot quicker than the thicker areas. It looks like its had a hard life but I think the last time I saw a hole like that in a boot it was in a Chaplin movie!

cj10

Reaction score
That's a wax and not a conditioner. If you want some shine you can use it. It's not a conditioner or waterproofer.
so boot cream are not conditioner or water proofing agent?

but this video seems to "promote" boot cream on wolverine saying that it will nourish the leather and keep it water-proofed...

what do you recommend for the wolverine to keep them conditioned, water proofed and shiny?

im so confused...haha

Last edited:

mg2380

Reaction score
so boot cream are not conditioner or water proofing agent?

but this video seems to "promote" boot cream on wolverine saying that it will nourish the leather and keep it water-proofed...

what do you recommend for the wolverine to keep them conditioned, water proofed and shiny?

im so confused...haha

I use Lexol to condition my boots. And Montana Pitch Blend to protect/waterproof them (using Crane's method below). Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP or Sno-Seal is also a great choice.

Oh yeah, spend $25.00 and get a half-sole put on.

http://cranes-country-store.com/waterproofing-1000-mile-boot/

cj10

Reaction score
I use Lexol to condition my boots. And Montana Pitch Blend to protect/waterproof them (using Crane's method below). Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP or Sno-Seal is also a great choice.

Oh yeah, spend $25.00 and get a half-sole put on.

http://cranes-country-store.com/waterproofing-1000-mile-boot/

heavy duty lp? not obenaulf leather oil? (i will be wearing em in cities)
do the heavy duty lp shine the boots? if not can i add a layer of boot cream over the heavy duty lp?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads