• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi there Mr Crane,

Do you actually stock  the 1000 Miles? I had a quick look on your website, but could not see them.

Yes I do stock them. I'm not supposed to have them listed on the site.

OK, guess I answered my own question! I see the link in your sig, but I'm looking for the Original Boot. Is the "Cranes Boots" website also one of yours? Having a very hard time finding stock in the UK anywhere. Let alone somewhere to try them on.

Yep that's my site. It's full ecom capable and once the jokers at USPS switch me over that's where I'm going to be doing my special deals. As you can see I also don't listen very well and I'm going to have them available online one way or the other. I told Dave I was up to no good and the less he knew the better. If the big W gets mad he can blame it all on me. LOL!

Mr M

Reaction score
I'm looking at Allen Edmond as another option for the next boots. Since they make some of the Wolverine boots, I assume their sizing would be the same?

Am I correct?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking at Allen Edmond as another option for the next boots. Since they make some of the Wolverine boots, I assume their sizing would be the same?

Am I correct?

No how no way. You better hop into an AE thread and figure out their lasts and sizing peculiarities.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, guess I answered my own question! I see the link in your sig, but I'm looking for the Original Boot. Is the "Cranes Boots" website also one of yours? Having a very hard time finding stock in the UK anywhere. Let alone somewhere to try them on.

Yeah.... You can pretty much give up on that search; there isn't one.
You're best bet would be to try some Redwing Beckmans then check the forums for the pretty comprehensive size comparisons between RWs and 1k miles.

chocobo

Reaction score
I'm a pretty frugal person but I've finally been convinced that these are worth the money, so I'm planning to buy a pair. I could use some advice about what size to get.

I got measured with a brannock device which said 10.5, which is the same size as my sneakers. This was all sorts of wrong, it was way too loose. Considering how far off it was, I asked to try on a pair in 9.5 (same size as my CDBs, which are a snug fit btw). This size felt OK... there was still tons of room in the toe box.

Finally I tried on a 9. The toe box still had plenty of room, but it was noticeably snug on the sides. Definitely tighter than I'd want it to be on a permanent basis.

So, what size would you recommend for me? Do they stretch or "relax" or anything like that (meaning that I should get the 9), or should I go with the 9.5?

One additional question - I wear khakis the majority of the time, and jeans occasionally. Would I be correct in thinking I should go with brown over cordovan, because cordovan doesn't go as well with khakis as it does with jeans or other dark colored pants? Cordovan looks great with jeans but I've been leaning towards the safer option of brown. I don't want to spend this much on a pair of boots that I'd be hesitant to wear, or only feel I could wear with certain clothes.

kasperoff

Reaction score
Yeah.... You can pretty much give up on that search; there isn't one.
You're best bet would be to try some Redwing Beckmans then check the forums for the pretty comprehensive size comparisons between RWs and 1k miles.
I was a UK 7.5 in the Red Wing Chukka. 1/2 a size down as I'm normally an 8.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was a UK 7.5 in the Red Wing Chukka. 1/2 a size down as I'm normally an 8.

I don't know how the chukkas fit but I wear a US 9.5 in the Beckman and 9 in the 1k tho I have an 8.5 1k too which tho snug aren't uncomfortable. That's a full size down on my true size

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a pretty frugal person but I've finally been convinced that these are worth the money, so I'm planning to buy a pair. I could use some advice about what size to get.

I got measured with a brannock device which said 10.5, which is the same size as my sneakers. This was all sorts of wrong, it was way too loose. Considering how far off it was, I asked to try on a pair in 9.5 (same size as my CDBs, which are a snug fit btw). This size felt OK... there was still tons of room in the toe box.

Finally I tried on a 9. The toe box still had plenty of room, but it was noticeably snug on the sides. Definitely tighter than I'd want it to be on a permanent basis.

So, what size would you recommend for me? Do they stretch or "relax" or anything like that (meaning that I should get the 9), or should I go with the 9.5?

One additional question - I wear khakis the majority of the time, and jeans occasionally. Would I be correct in thinking I should go with brown over cordovan, because cordovan doesn't go as well with khakis as it does with jeans or other dark colored pants? Cordovan looks great with jeans but I've been leaning towards the safer option of brown. I don't want to spend this much on a pair of boots that I'd be hesitant to wear, or only feel I could wear with certain clothes.

On a $/utility basis, my Wolverines were my best buy.

If 9 is tighter than you'd want, it is too tight. These do not loosen up 1/2 size like some people believe Chromexcel does. Boots are supposed to have room in the toe-box. If you feel that they're slightly too large, there are options available like thicker socks, a very thin insert, or a tongue pad (recommend in that order).

Get the 9.5's.

For reference, my Brannock is about a 9.75 D and the 9 in Wolverine's fits me perfectly. I wear 10 in sneakers, sometimes even 10.5 in Nike's.

Lastly, Cordovan goes with everything. Cordovan and khaki is a great look and better than brown boots and khaki, IMO. I'd go with the Cordovan, always. My girlfriend is convinced all my boots are cordovan colored, and the same boot.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lastly, Cordovan goes with everything. Cordovan and khaki is a great look and better than brown boots and khaki, IMO. I'd go with the Cordovan, always. My girlfriend is convinced all my boots are cordovan colored, and the same boot.

GENIUS!!

Last edited:

kennyx

Reaction score

Well, I would like to say one thing: after a year of wearing them, it's time to admit that Crane's (it hurts to say this) is right when it comes to fit. It's time to bid adieu to my 721s and 744s, which were basically grails for me, because I bought them too small. My takeaway from this (expensive) lesson is that the most important part is to get the joint of my toe in the right place, the width right, and ensure my heel doesn't have lateral slippage and not worry about space in front of my toes any more.

That said, I found a pair of boots that fits me perfectly, modified last Alden Indy's, and its amazing the world of difference my feet feel right now. They have the same tank-like feel to them, though I haven't decided whether I'm going to water-proof them.

I've been trying to go through this entire thread to learn more about these boots. Almost ready to make a purchase, but was wondering if anyone could comment on the above?

I cant seem to find what was written/reommended in terms of fit?

rexzors21

Reaction score
Hey guy, finally just got a pair of Wolverines since I saw them on sale, and I was wondering if I should use some Obenauf LP or not? I saw some people didn't use any sort of LP. Sorry if this was posted earlier.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guy, finally just got a pair of Wolverines since I saw them on sale, and I was wondering if I should use some Obenauf LP or not? I saw some people didn't use any sort of LP. Sorry if this was posted earlier.

It was posted about 500 times.
If you intend to wear them in rain, slush or snow, ever; get some protector on them

TheSizzle

Reaction score

It's leather. If you want to protect it, use LP. It's in the name, and it's highly recommended for 1000-mile boots.

rockcrawler

Reaction score
Quote: I personally would not recommend getting anything smaller than a 1/2 size down from your Brannock size. Tons of recommendations in this thread as to why, even just a few pages back. As Crane said, there are many techniques to adjust to a size too big but too small? you're screwed. Expensive mistake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads