• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

With all these sales and great deals - I need help!!

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
Birthday coming up. Thank you, thank you!!

Want a new pair of jeans. Been doing alot of spending lately so I don't plan to spen over $150. So far I got my eyes on:

5ep for $98
Rescues for $140
Nudie NUD for $158
PDC Wyatt for $89

I have various predistressed jeans but still no raw (hey I just joined the forum/movement, cut me some slack). Is it a no brainer? Are the APC's my best bet?

chicagobull

Reaction score
I am a fellow newb to the forum, and after a similar debate, I made my first raw denim purchase the APC rescues. I have found them to be a very nice cut for a person of average build, and the denim quality is great. The only downside with the APC's is the goofy sizing, but if in doubt, just size down 2 (or ask the people at the store). When they arrived out of the box, the jeans had a very dark, and shiny look to them and were stiff as hell. Mine had stretched out quite a bit after pretty heavy wear in about 5 weeks, and I just gave them a wash because they smelled a bit, and I wanted them to fit better. I am very happy with the results, but wish I would have waited another few weeks or more for a greater effect. The jeans faded to a beautiful deep indigo **********, knee, and lap, and have some subtle whiskering. (I would post pics, but dont have a digital camera)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices, but from experience, APC Rescues have a great combination of quality, style, and fit.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of APC NS, but they are my go to dress jeans, I keep em dark and sexy. APC's would be the best for starting out, or Nudies.

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
You know..... what's making me lean the direction of teh 5ep is the fact that teh APC price isn't changing anytime soon and since there is a store near me i am not worried about availability as they are always gettingshipments from france.

The 5ep on the other hand are a great pair of jeans, though not raw, the fact that i am getting them for $100 bucks when they normally go for close to $300 is definitely a big draw.

i think i just answered my own question.
teacha.gif

xcoldricex

Reaction score
you could step into the world of japanese denim for sugarcane 1947's if you want to spend just a bit more than those nudies.

5ep's seem like a good deal though.

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
i could research this, BUT..... sinec we're all here....

5ep sizing: i just called the store and they have 4 pairs left (33 and 34 included). obviously i'll try em on, but whats the general sizing rule for these. they arent a true raw denim since they've been rinsed right? god i feel like a dimwit.
blush.gif

chicagobull

Reaction score
5ep does sounds like a great deal. What is the model number of the pair you are looking at, and what is the wash? Are there any websites where I could see a pic of them?
Also, does that store take phone orders? As I just may have to order a pair at that price
cool.gif

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chicagobull
5ep does sounds like a great deal. What is the model number of the pair you are looking at, and what is the wash? Are there any websites where I could see a pic of them?
Also, does that store take phone orders? As I just may have to order a pair at that price
cool.gif

i can't take credit for this find - there's another recent thread that metioned them. but anyways, they are at http://www.stevenalan.com/shop/custo...=17187&cat=425

not sure of the style # but i think they are just called 'straight zip jeans' -- denimheads correct me if i am wrong. wash, or rinse i should say, is resin -- again dh's, check that.

chicagobull

Reaction score
Yhanks JoMak.. looks like a good deal to me. In my searching, I came upon a better picture, if they are in fact the same jeans: http://www.oaknyc.com/men/shop-by-br...ne-wash-straig I will probably pass on these jeans myself, having just recently purchased a pair of APC's (I can't afford redundancy at this point), but be sure to let us know about how those work out for you.

mizanation

Reaction score
judging by the jeans you mentioned, i don't think you would dig the repro fit of a sugarcane 47.

since you don't have any raw denim, i would suggest you get a pair of APC new standards from mauro for $120. it's a now classic style that you will get a lot of mileage from.

but, it seems like you've made up your mind with the 5ep's....

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
judging by the jeans you mentioned, i don't think you would dig the repro fit of a sugarcane 47.

since you don't have any raw denim, i would suggest you get a pair of APC new standards from mauro for $120. it's a now classic style that you will get a lot of mileage from.

but, it seems like you've made up your mind with the 5ep's....

80/20 in favor of 5ep. but.... i am waiting till monday to get them so it's a matter of if they still have my size by then.

unless someone here in NY wants to pick 'em up for me and i pay you back monday - LOL (no seriously)
confused.gif

um, who's mauro? more importantly, where is he? if i am paying $120 plus shipping, i may as well get them locally for $140, no?

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoMak_NYC
i could research this, BUT..... sinec we're all here....

5ep sizing: i just called the store and they have 4 pairs left (33 and 34 included). obviously i'll try em on, but whats the general sizing rule for these. they arent a true raw denim since they've been rinsed right? god i feel like a dimwit.
blush.gif

The straight down jeans run true to size. The ones on the stevenalan web site look like the dark worn wash, though the pic is so dark it is hard to tell. There should not be any further shrinkage.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think they still have washed 5eps in 36 on activeendeavors for $133-150... The lighter pair looks really nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads