• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A New Top 10 List of Jeans.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvin1663
maybe if someone posted the guidelines for what exactly was factored into making this list...there's nothing on p.1 that says the list is based on price/value ratio, construction, availability, color, fading, etc....perhaps some clarification on criteria?

It's based on all of those, except for fading, which I really didn't think about much. I also tried to make it a list where everyone, not just fashion people and not just denim kids, would find something suitable. I did emphasize that this is not a definitive list, just mine. I do hope that it is somewhat useful, or at least fun to read.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
It's based on all of those, except for fading, which I really didn't think about much. I also tried to make it a list where everyone, not just fashion people and not just denim kids, would find something suitable. I did emphasize that this is not a definitive list, just mine. I do hope that it is somewhat useful, or at least fun to read.

Honestly, the best thing that can come out of a list like this is others' lists. Rather than arguing over whether this is a good list, this is the right thread to put your own list in.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Honestly, the best thing that can come out of a list like this is others' lists. Rather than arguing over whether this is a good list, this is the right thread to put your own list in.

+1

Fok's been doing these lists for years, and they're just his opinion. They're not some form of denim bible or a list of jeans we should all go out and buy right away.

The best part about this list is that it gives junior members a place to start so we don't see 100 threads asking "What premium denim should I start with?"

If you don't like it, make your own damn list, and we'll all critique it......

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
+1,000!

Anybody have any intel on these???

Best to put this question in the Context affiliate thread and see if they will bite
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sola
+1

Fok's been doing these lists for years, and they're just his opinion. They're not some form of denim bible or a list of jeans we should all go out and buy right away.

The best part about this list is that it gives junior members a place to start so we don't see 100 threads asking "What premium denim should I start with?"

If you don't like it, make your own damn list, and we'll all critique it......

Originally Posted by chronoaug
Seriously, that's the point of the top 10. It's not really a top 10 for denim veterans. It's something for new posters to look at, go research and possibly buy.

I need to start prefacing the top 10 lists with "For entertainment purposes only." I actually don't mind critiques. I mean, if these lists got no feedback, they'd just be a waste of my time. But it would be nice to hear the rationales of posters who would like to see X,Y,and Z jeans in the list. And what would they take off the list. And for what reasons? Or perhaps, they don't like my list at all, and would propose another, based on a completely different set of criteria. That would be cool to see as well.

bigskydream

Reaction score
Best to put this question in the Context affiliate thread and see if they will bite
smile.gif

I did a few days ago. No bites yet...

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just re-reading the list and had a question: Why was the RB11 listed as the most versitile jean, as opposed to the LDB raw? Not that I think the LDB really is more versitile, but I wasn't sure what went into deciding that. Unfortunately, I will never be able to compare, as the 30 waist is too short for me
frown.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I was just re-reading the list and had a question: Why was the RB11 listed as the most versitile jean, as opposed to the LDB raw? Not that I think ....

dude, read the last dozen or so posts: because that's Fok's opinion

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it cracks me up people are taking this list as the 10 commandments...

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get all the jeans on the first list. Kratts and GTOs here I come!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
I'm still trying to get all the jeans on the first list. Kratts and GTOs here I come!

Unfortunately, neither are available anymore, though I have both in the archives. The Kratts were still going strong after 6 years of consistent wear, which is pretty amazing, and I was looking at the GTOs recently, and they are really quite well designed and constructed, with busted seams, etc...

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, neither are available anymore, though I have both in the archives. The Kratts were still going strong after 6 years of consistent wear, which is pretty amazing, and I was looking at the GTOs recently, and they are really quite well designed and constructed, with busted seams, etc...

out of curiosity, of all the jeans you've put on all these lists, which is the one you've had most of an about-face on, and now most regret endorsing (like how in GQ's 50th anniversary extravaganza they had a whole section retracting zany advice they've given in the past). Which jeans have had their Fok Stamp of Approval rescinded?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
out of curiosity, of all the jeans you've put on all these lists, which is the one you've had most of an about-face on, and now most regret endorsing (like how in GQ's 50th anniversary extravaganza they had a whole section retracting zany advice they've given in the past). Which jeans have had their Fok Stamp of Approval rescinded?

I'd answer that question if I remembered all the lists
smile.gif
Probably not too many, although I think that I probably could have made better choices in some of the lists.

Hmmm, reading that, I'm thinking maybe I should run for public office sometime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads