• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter: What to wear under Barbour Beaufort or Border

Jomjom

Reaction score
The jackets are too cold by themselves in the winter when it starts getting really cold (0 °C / 32 °F).
What do you guys wear under the jackets?
Zip-In Liners are not an option for me. I wear the jackets walking and cycling. On a bike they get too warm quickly. Taking the liner in an out every time is too much of a hassle.
A fleece jacket doesn't feel quite dapper enough...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t speak for the Border as I don’t own one. My Beaufort I’ll either use a liner (not an option for you, I get it) or a thick merino or cashmere sweater.

I don’t go cycling in mine or any other form of exercise. I find that layering as I described above will yield relative comfort for temps as low as the low 30’s.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italians have a great phrase: “vestiti come una cipolla.” Dress like an onion. So layers. I cycle every day in Rome (granted not super cold here), and I often wear a sweater vest or a cashmere hoodie under my Barbour. Then I can remove the sweater after riding a few clicks…

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't worn mine in a few years, but I generally think of them as fall and spring outerwear, not really winter. Although I suppose it depends on your climate.

Here in the Bay Area, it has been cold enough for me to wear my Nigel Cabourn Everest parka. It's a down coat.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditionally in England we would wear a Navy surplus "Submariner" jumper underneath our wax cotton jackets during the winter (there are some good remakes available) as it tends to be cold and wet at the same time

If that's too bulky for cycling maybe a long sleeve thermal under a regular shirt might work

tonybolero

Reaction score
Traditionally in England we would wear a Navy surplus "Submariner" jumper underneath our wax cotton jackets during the winter (there are some good remakes available) as it tends to be cold and wet at the same time
What do you wear underneath a submariner jumper? My problem with heavy turtlenecks is that I get way too warm when I get inside, and only wearing a t-shirt underneath it doesn't feel enough.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you wear underneath a submariner jumper? My problem with heavy turtlenecks is that I get way too warm when I get inside, and only wearing a t-shirt underneath it doesn't feel enough.
You don't need to wear a turtleneck jumper, just wear a crew neck--either a Shetland or something ribbed, then you can wear a collared shirt underneath. Check out North Sea Clothing (UK) or SNS Herning (Denmark but now made in one of the Baltic states). I once saw a photo of Daniel Day-Lewis in a Herning jumper; good enough for me!

tonybolero

Reaction score
Great! Not heard of any of those brands, but they seem to offer exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like a long sleeve T shirt under my submariner, but It's definately winter outdoor/motorcycle attire.

Maybe a lighter merino roll neck jumper would work, I just buy the Uniqlo versions for layering to be honest

It's a good simple look under a Barbour with some decent jeans and country boots maybe add a Tweed flat Cap, if you want that full on English pub look

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my Beaufort from 10c/50f to about 0c/32f....towards the lower end of that range, I'll throw a shetland sweater on to make it slightly warmer. Anything sub 0c/32f and I wind up breaking out a vintage USN peacoat which is good until about -17c/0f, after that its modern tech outerwear only

Lol1000

Reaction score
Time to pick up this thread again guys....

What I don't get is, why do you cycle in winter in the first place?

How about a lambswool cardigan, thin one with buttons. I even thought of adding buttonholes to my Barbour. I was a total cashmere purists for like ten years, until I bought a lambswool jumper during a trip to London on October. It was just perfect, warm when you are outside, but still sort of breathing when you go inside for a coffee.

But it really all depends on your climate. Rainy, sunny, mild Californian....?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's cheaper and far more enjoyable than driving. Plus, the feeling of the cold air on your face is invigorating.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about a lambswool cardigan, thin one with buttons. I even thought of adding buttonholes to my Barbour. I was a total cashmere purists for like ten years, until I bought a lambswool jumper during a trip to London on October. It was just perfect, warm when you are outside, but still sort of breathing when you go inside for a coffee.

But it really all depends on your climate. Rainy, sunny, mild Californian....?
Here in Rome it’s actually too hot to cycle in summer, at least not in smart clothes if you want to show up looking presentable. Bike season is just starting now.

Knyg

Reaction score
A good scarf may do the trick. Also easy to pull off if it gets too hot.

Lol1000

Reaction score
i am surprised barbour made it all the way to rome. Isnt it a bit out of place there?

dont get me wrong, i own 6 barbours now, but when in rome…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads