• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Parka/Jackets

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
They have some nice stuff to offer. I especially like how there are no logos.

This caught my eye, but unfortunately not sold online anymore.
Down Jacket

It's the price of a Canada Goose on eBay. But looks good. Keep the suggestions coming.
smile.gif

Check the Calgary store. I'd be willing to proxy it to you.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
I'm going to try this in the Men's Clothing section. Weren't really getting the results I was looking for in the Streetwear section. I am looking for a clean, simple, casual winter jacket that will get me through the harsh winters here in the north country of New York. I am not looking for a wool, cashmere jacket or anything of that sort. Yes, I understand they can be casual, but I am looking for something even more versatile. Something that can accommodate an outdoorsy type of wardrobe. I've been looking into Patagonia. Down Sweater Down Jacket Parka I am interested in the down sweater, but I'm afraid it won't be warm enough. The down jacket seems like the next best choice. And I really like the parka, but the price is a bit steep. I've tried looking on eBay, but no luck with the parka. So any recommendations would be appreciated.
Honestly, you cannot go wrong with Patagonia. Their products are high quality and guaranteed for life. Check out the "Web Specials" section on their website. You can get good deals there if your size is in stock. Otherwise, you could take a look at Sierra Trading Post or similar sites.

countrygent

Reaction score
A few observations from my experience:

- the lightweight down jackets/sweaters with 750+ fill power are really warm for their weight - I have an 850 fill North Face jacket similar to the Patagonia Down Sweater that is good down to -15C/5F, or even colder with no wind. Fit is pretty trim as well.

- MEC offers great bang for the buck, however the finishing in general isn't quite as tight as Patagonia and the sizing is sometimes inconsistent. Great return policy somewhat mitigates the 2nd problem however. I buy a lot of stuff at MEC.

- Patagonia makes really nice stuff

- the heavy Canada Goose parkas are really warm! As in, start sweating profusely while trying one on indoors

Cheers,
Hal

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I have this United Bamboo parka that I wear over suits: http://www.gargyle.com/united-bamboo...ium=googlebase
Don't take this the wrong way, but for $850, this is a bad joke. If you want a parka, this is way more expensive than Canada Goose. You could also buy a proper, very warm overcoat for less than this.
Originally Posted by countrygent
- the heavy Canada Goose parkas are really warm! As in, start sweating profusely while trying one on indoors
Well, they are definitely warm, but they aren't that warm. CG makes several different models. Some are only wearable in Antarctica but they even have some models that are designed for rainy environments. The iconic models are pretty warm but, as I said, you can wear a Chilliwack up to about 40F. The great thing about a Canada Goose parka in places where it is really cold, like upstate New York, is that you can just put it on and go. You typically don't have to worry about layering, etc. A CG parka is usually all you need even if you are just wearing a shudder t-shirt. I find this extremely useful. It's -10 outside but the shopping mall or class room or wherever you are going isn't. Put on your parka and flip up the hood, if necessary. No hat, no scarf, no nothing. I usually keep gloves in one of the many pockets but very often you can get away without even that. When you get where you are going, just hang it up and you are wearing clothes suitable for a 74F office. It saves a huge amount of time and hassle.

countrygent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Well, they are definitely warm, but they aren't that warm.

I found the heavy parkas this warm, when worn indoors for more than 5 minutes. I'm sure they have lighter parkas that are less heavily insulated though.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Don't take this the wrong way, but for $850, this is a bad joke.

If you want a parka, this is way more expensive than Canada Goose. You could also buy a proper, very warm overcoat for less than this.

When you get where you are going, just hang it up and you are wearing clothes suitable for a 74F office. It saves a huge amount of time and hassle.

That was last year's price. I paid $950. The extra money is worth not wearing the same parka as every other douche in the city.

I have a nice topcoat already.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Napijiri makes some really nice, warm parkas and jackets. I have a few of them in different weights. Bought from STP a year ago, they are readily sold at discounts online.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I have the Patagonia down sweater you showed--without the hood, hoods bug me--and it is pretty good down to about 20 degrees with a t-neck. I have it in a bright yellow-lime color, very light weight, quite nice. I have a down jacket from J. Powell--all that stuff is pretty expensive. In the moderate range, I think Patagonia has classier stuff than LL Bean or Lands End, period. If you have a G-Note to spend, go Moncler.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was last year's price. I paid $950. The extra money is worth not wearing the same parka as every other douche in the city.
http://www.gear-up.com/cart_showproduct.php?pid=11302
teacha.gif
Red would be a bit much but the black ones are fine for city wear. And hardly any other douche in the city will have one, I guarantee it! This particular one is just a shell but it is still pretty warm. The insulated version of this is so warm that it is really too much anywhere in the northern hemisphere, including the north pole. Plus, unlike the United Bamboo parka, this is serious gear so you can use it on your next business trip to Ulan Bator.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know. I see a lot of Eurotrash wearing those and Moncler parkas. It looks like a NASCAR jacket.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I see a lot of Eurotrash wearing those and Moncler parkas. It looks like a NASCAR jacket.
Eurotrash might be a bit harsh but I have to admit, Canada Goose is very popular in some parts of Europe, especially Scandinavia where they take freezing to death seriously. But I'm sure some Eurotrash do were them. Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut. As for it looking like a NASCAR jacket, you got a problem with that, boy?
plain.gif
Seriously though, Canada Goose parkas are iconic in the same way that safari jackets are iconic. You might not like the look of a safari jacket, of course, but that's a different issue. If you want something less technical, Canada Goose makes a number of more subdued parkas, e.g. without the reflective tape. The parka I linked to, as are several Canada Goose parkas, was designed for people doing research on the ice in Antarctica so it has a number of features that might not see a lot of use in Manhattan. Reading this, I realize I sound like an employee shill for Canada Goose. I'm not, but I guess I do have a soft spot for them. They make all their parkas in Canada and their parkas are the best parkas in the world. I like that. Like everybody else, I complain about poor quality stuff made in China. So when I find someone making something in Canada that is both of superb quality and reasonably priced, I feel obligated to support them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads