• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter overcoats and footwear - where to start?

primetimeseano

Reaction score
This is my first winter working and I've realized my wardrobe just isn't ready for it. I wear suits to work every day and need appropriate outerwear to go along with them. I have a fairly plain black overcoat and a couple of pairs of ankle boots (both of which I find quite ugly after investing in a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes this past summer and wearing them most days since). How can I handle the elements and still wear clothes I actually like? Keep in mind I have a fairly limited budget as well. Thanks!

Aqualung

Reaction score
This is my first winter working and I've realized my wardrobe just isn't ready for it. I wear suits to work every day and need appropriate outerwear to go along with them. I have a fairly plain black overcoat and a couple of pairs of ankle boots (both of which I find quite ugly after investing in a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes this past summer and wearing them most days since). How can I handle the elements and still wear clothes I actually like? Keep in mind I have a fairly limited budget as well. Thanks!

Just wear your regular shoes with rubber overboots when necessary. And for a coat in Alberta I'd wear a tan parka that had some sort of goose down removeable or wool liner,

primetimeseano

Reaction score
When it comes to matching overcoats, are there any rules? I assume it wouldn't be acceptable to wear a black overcoat with brown shoes (at least I never would), but are there any less obvious rules? What color tends to be the most versatile?

Aqualung

Reaction score
When it comes to matching overcoats, are there any rules? I assume it wouldn't be acceptable to wear a black overcoat with brown shoes (at least I never would), but are there any less obvious rules? What color tends to be the most versatile?

Tan, Camel

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overcoat: Brooks Brothers overcoats on sale, any color you like.

Footwear: Overshoes for suits, casual: Alden Indy Boot, Wolverine 100 mile boot, or Crockett and Jones Snowdon

Last edited:

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Being in Alberta, unless you never go outside, get some rubber overshoes which will always be charcoal and worry about matching your hat and scarf to your overcoat. And yes you do need a hat. And stand up straight.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Overcoats are a stand alone piece. You don't have to worry about coordinating with anything except your hat (if you're not ready for something with a brim, tweed flat caps are great) and scarf. Black will work for any situation, though it's dull as hell.

I find a darker medium gray to be most versatile. Navy or brown are other suggestions that would go with most anything. Olive is an option too.

capua

Reaction score
I had a similar dilemma as you, I just bought an Isaia car coat off one of the affiliate sites for $500, and the Cheaney FS029 for 195 pounds. I wanted a formal car coat as opposed to an over coat since I am in my mid twenties. Be sure to get rubber soles or danite for the snow, but there is no need to buy actual snow boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads