• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter/Hiking Boots with SCs/suits...

quuz

Reaction score
Im thinking of getting the Sanders Cheltenham with commando, they dont look too bulky in these pictures. All though Im worried they leather will get desroyed by all the salt and slush here in Sweden.
23853201092514124754922_L.jpg
23853201092514123647179_L.jpg
Ive also been thinking about these barker harrison with storm welted dainite sole
Barker-Shoes-Harrison-Boots.jpg
Or do you guys suggest something in grain leather? Is this more suitable for winter, slush and salt? http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Tan-military-boots?q=gbpdefault|boots|MB025DBN|||||||||||||

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
I'm considering:
Charles Tyrwhitt military boots:
shown here
Grenson Sharpe, or a similar Loake model.

Not made in England, BTW.
eh.gif
That might turn out to be a good thing, if you are then less worried about subjecting them to salt, slush, &c.
Originally Posted by quuz
Im thinking of getting the Sanders Cheltenham with commando, they dont look too bulky in these pictures. All though Im worried they leather will get desroyed by all the salt and slush here in Sweden.

[Ive also been thinking about these barker harrison with storm welted dainite sole
Barker-Shoes-Harrison-Boots.jpg

Nice. If you go for either (or the CT boot you also mentioned) I'd suggest focusing on treating them with waterproofing product (mink oil or whatever the shoe gurus recommend) rather than polishing them. They'll be a lot less shiny, but survive the wet a lot better.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a dandy who worked at Neimans ... what was his name ... Darrell Osborne? In any event ... I seem to recall him donning such a combination.

I didn't like it even on him ... and he could really put together some outstanding combinations.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I didn't like it even on him ... and he could really put together some outstanding combinations.

Like this guy:

agnelliopbergschoenen2.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Like this guy.
In a way, yes. But one was/is a dandy ... while the other simply dressed well.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
In a way, yes. But one was/is a dandy ... while the other simply dressed well.

Have you ever tried it yourself? I've seen some pictures of rather interesting country jackets and suits of you, if I'm not mistaken.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Have you ever tried it yourself? I've seen some pictures of rather interesting country jackets and suits of you, if I'm not mistaken.
I wear boots with my country suits ... but they dress boots w/ durable soles ... not hiking boots per se.

That said ... I do have and wear hiking boots ... and might pair them with an odd coat and khakis/cords.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I wear boots with my country suits ... but they dress boots w/ durable soles ... not hiking boots per se.

That said ... I do have and wear hiking boots ... and might pair them with an odd coat and khakis/cords.

I see. Sounds like a good and practical look.

Doc4

Reaction score
Also consider the "less cowboyish" options offered by western bootmakers.

eh.gif
facepalm.gif

... no, seriously. Like these. http://www.doublehboots.com/mens-col...n.asp?catid=66

They are going to be much sleeker and better looking than hiking boots, and the leather is going to be wel suited to waterproofing for those occasions when you have to wade through 6" puddles of slush.

ktrp

Reaction score
I'm aware the loake(herring/CT) are not made in the U.K. Its not so much that I think the UK knows so much about all weather boots as there seems to be much more of a market for boots there, so there are more choices.

I considered going $100 higher (roughly) to get Alfred Sargents. I believe they are, indeed, nicer. But as you said, the point of these is to get something I can wade through slush with and not wince. I'm not sure I'd feel that way on the AS.

If the salt kills them, I'll have the opportunity to reconsider by next year
wink.gif

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At first I was ambivalent on this look, but then it grew on me to such an extent that I gone and bought a pair like in the original post – brown leather, red laces. I aim to wear them with 'office wear' to inflame the hate in the near future!

From a purely practical point of view, if the snow the UK has been experiencing hits the south east, they'll also aid the morning slog down to the station...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads