• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wings and Horns FW 09

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got one of the shawl neck hoodies from Farinelli's today, but it's too big for me, so if anyone wants it at a discount who doesn't have a tote, let me know!
I'm gonna return it this week, so think fast.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
+1. Context is one of the few vendors that I've consistently been able to reproduce their measurements. Roden Gray and Farinelli often provide different measurements which I cannot reproduce myself.

Very funny, I have the opposite experience (with Farinelli's, never bought from Roden).

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Very funny, I have the opposite experience (with Farinelli's, never bought from Roden).
Well, all I can say is you must measure things just like they do! But I could never personally duplicate the majority of their measurements, while I can always duplicate Context's. Here is a good example of what I'm talking about. You can probably even see from the pictures that something is wrong with the Farinellli measurements..... Farinelli's says the FW09 thermal is a very lengthy 31.75" in the size S. Yet, look at how cropped it looks on the 6.0" tall model wearing this size. There is no way a nearly 32" long top would look like this on him! http://www.shopfarinellis.com/pa-563...-in-black.aspx Context has what appears to be same thermal cut (albeit with the Henley placket added). They say it reads only 24.5" which from looking at the cropped fit on the Farinelli and Context models, sounds about right. http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1184 Additionally, I have the size XS in the black thermal which I bought from Farinelli's. I get a measurement of 23" on mine which matches both Context's measurements and jives with how short the length looks on me. Yet Farenilli says 30.5" which if it were really that long it would cover most of my butt! But in reality it only barely covers my belt.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Farinelli's says the FW09 thermal is a very lengthy 31.75" in the size S. Yet, look at how cropped it looks on the 6.0" tall model wearing this size. There is no way a nearly 31" long top would look like this on him! http://www.shopfarinellis.com/pa-563...-in-black.aspx
I think they just mislabeled the length and sleeve measurements on that one. And they measure sleeves "dress shirt style" (i.e. from the neck), hence the 30"+ measurements. If you look at every other page, the measurements go pit-to-pit, shoulder, sleeve, length, while on that page, the last two are reversed.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
I think they just mislabeled the length and sleeve measurements. And they measure sleeves "dress shirt style" (i.e. from the neck), hence the 30"+ measurements. If you look at every other page, the measurements go (from top to bottom) pit-to-pit, shoulder, sleeve, length, while on that page, the last two are reversed.
Yeah, I thought the measurements might be accidentally reversed, but even in that case I cannot duplicate them either. For example, on Farinelli says the length of the XS thermal is 21.75 for size XS. But when I measure mine both while laying flat on a table OR from a hanger, I always get around 23.25" which nearly matches Context. All I can guess is that Farinelli must be measuring length from somewhere on the shoulder while Context is measuring from the highest point on the shirt. I think sites that post measurements should also post details and techniques (e.g. how to handle stretchy fabric, strange seaming, etc) about how they measure things. Otherwise the measurements are not overly useful since there is so much variance across shops. There can often be as much as 1" difference in pit-to-pit readings that shops provide, and this makes a HUGE difference in fit.

revamp

Reaction score
Looking to pickup one of the W+H henleys... If I'm a "Small/Medium" Banana Republic build (or solid Medium Hugo Boss build), should I get a "Large" W+H shirt?

Will try to stop by Farinnelli's tomorrow to checkout their selection and get sized-up, but appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by revamp
Looking to pickup one of the W+H henleys... If I'm a "Small/Medium" Banana Republic build (or solid Medium Hugo Boss build), should I get a "Large" W+H shirt?

Will try to stop by Farinnelli's tomorrow to checkout their selection and get sized-up, but appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

I've seen you, and you are not any smaller than am I, and are about the same size and shape as my brother, who is visiting. You should be wearing smalls, nearly across the board. I'd say that in Wings+Horns, you would be a medium in most things, including the henleys.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So where did the rumor originate from that this is the last season for the tiger fleece hoodies? Even if W+H stops making the tiger fleece hoodie, I'd be willing to bet we'll see them make it again sometime in the future. It makes no sense to discontinue a hot selling product other than to rid themselves of the "hoodie company" image.

What better way to do this than to stop making the tiger fleece, then a year or two later suddenly reintroduce it for a single season. Everyone will of course make a big deal about "the return of the tiger fleece!" and in the process it will draw additional attention to the other items in W+H's current collection.

It is a bit like what Disney has done with some movies like the Little Mermaid. When it starts to get worn out and it looks likes sales may soon decline, stop making the DVD. Then years later re-introduce it briefly and make a big deal about your "limited chance to own this movie".

I think this would be a good movie for W+H since the whole salt+pepper look is starting to feel worn out. I would like to see W+H try making some more interesting hoodies that don't rely solely on the tiger fleece gimmick in order to differentiate them from other brand's hoodies. Does anyone know if this is plan? Or will they stop making hoodies almost entirely?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new cotton cashmere pieces in person? Is the fabric more like something you find on a nice t-shirt, or is the fabric more woven and soft like a sweater?

Also, are they machine washable or "dry clean only".

revamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I've seen you, and you are not any smaller than am I, and are about the same size and shape as my brother, who is visiting. You should be wearing smalls, nearly across the board. I'd say that in Wings+Horns, you would be a medium in most things, including the henleys.

It was great meeting you too last month (although I wish we had the opportunity to talk some more the next day; still feel bad about that).

I feel like I need a few more months of ab/chest work before I can (successfully) pull-off the "fitted" look.

Hopefully, Mauro will have a Medium and Large W+H LS shirt in-stock tomorrow (I know he doesn't have the Henley specifically) so I can see what feels comfortable.

I never would have even known about W+H without the forum so I'm excited to expand my brand horizons!

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm an 8 in JP's and a 8.5 in Katahdins should I go with a 7.5 in the service boot?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
If I'm an 8 in JP's and a 8.5 in Katahdins should I go with a 7.5 in the service boot?
I wear.... 9 in JP 8 in Chucks (but it is a tight fit) 41 in CP (it is a little loose) 8.5 in Quoddy I have the service boots in size 8 (size 41) and they are a little loose in the width unless I wear thick socks. So I would say the service boots fit very simarlly to Common Projects-- size down 1 from your normal size. My guess is that you need a size 7. I would try that size first. But these boots are so wide (EE width) that the width/narrowness of your feet will likely be the deciding factor.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I wear....

9 in JP
8 in Chucks (but it is a tight fit)
41 in CP (it is a little loose)
8.5 in Quoddy

I have the service boots in size 8 (size 41) and they are a little loose in the width unless I wear thick socks. So I would say the service boots fit very simarlly to Common Projects-- size down 1 from your normal size.

My guess is that you need a size 7 (but a size 7.5 might work if you have wider than average feet).

Thanks BB1. A couple more questions...what kind of insole do the service boots have?

Also, do you mind measuring your outsole for me? I need something around 11.25-11.5...I think 7.5 may be the ticket.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more things I get to handle in person for this season, the more I am impressed. This is probably their strongest collection yet.

I have a cotton/cashmere piece on the way. I'll give the review when I get it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix