• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Width of shoe trees don't fit shoes

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a little clueless as to how shoe trees should fit shoes and one problem I've had when buying shoe trees is that the shoe trees don't fill out the width of the shoe properly (when buying a similar numerical size as that of my shoes). There tends to be some space along the sides.

There are currently two options: 1.) buy a larger sized shoe trees that fill out the width but are longer than necessary.

2.) Stick to the smaller sized shoe trees which in this case, because it does not fill put the sides for a snug fit, does not remove the creases as effectively.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are your trees solid in the forefoot, like so...

cedar-shoe-trees.jpg

...or split, like so...

Shoe-trees.jpg

If the former, try the latter.

- B

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're actually like the former. But yes. I get it.

I was just doing some research. And I think I should also pay attention to the the width of the shoe trees (eg: this http://www.cedarvillestore.com/p-14-...shoe-tree.aspx is for 8E to 9E while this http://www.cedarvillestore.com/p-107...shoe-tree.aspx on the other hand is for 7D to 8B). Correct?

In any case, the rule of thumb is I should size up? Or? Down?

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Are your trees solid in the forefoot, like so...

cedar-shoe-trees.jpg

...or split, like so...

Shoe-trees.jpg

If the former, try the latter.

- B

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your shoes are made by AE it's because the trees aren't good enough to fill their superior internal crevices. If they're any other brand of shoe you might want to experiment with different brands of trees.

Also, are you a wide size? If so the "Epic" shoe tree seems to run on the wider side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads