1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why Will is so great

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dopey, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Well-Known Member

"I pick up some of that in his blog at times. Downton Abbey syndrome. Silicon Valley, California is a very different place and this accentuates it. He sometimes seems out of kilter. The world will not change to fit in with him."

Will is pretty innovative about it, though. His distinction between working downtown / suburbs is useful reconceptualizing of city/country -distinction for a time and place where people no longer hunt foxes or spend weekends at manors. But one wonders whether it really makes sense in California. Anyway, it's a very enjoyable blog.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Come on--whether Silicon Valley or Manhattan, dressing "classic menswear" is no longer organic to the environment. You can't hold that against Will. We all do the same.

3. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

not to pick on kingstonian, but there are a couple of things that stick out to me here: First, what seems to be an assumption that because someone is doing something different than us (and more extravagant), that he is somehow rubbing our noses in it. There are certainly posters who do that, but I don't believe Will is one. He's a rich guy with a hobby that makes him very happy and he likes to share his thoughts on it. Take from it what you will and ignore it if you don't like it.

Sorry, but, dude, THIS IS THE INTERNET. We could all be doing other things, many of them arguably more important than debating on a forum devoted to men's clothing.

2 people like this.
  4. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

I am not quite sure what this means. Is what Will does dressing classic menswear or is there more to it?

I really enjoy the posts by the two 'top hat and tails' posters. One of them even made his own gear - 'waistcoat slips' or whatever they are called. The other had all the right details, but wore the gear in incongruous surroundings in California. Maybe that is what is meant by not 'organic to the environment'.

5. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

I never said Will is 'rubbing our noses in it'. He does not say things like ' I could not help noticing that I am considerably richer than yow.' or 'How many businesses have you built up from scratch in the West Midlands?'

Sorry dude, but what else does Will do apart from talk about clothes. No insights into any other interests. After a while, most people tend to reveal other things that make them tick.

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

You do know that the blog is called A Suitable Wardrobe, right?

7. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

In addition to the many ecomiums I may add one more: Having
    dined with Will several times (after Meet-Ups) I can attest to
    his superb table-manners.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013