Why Will is so great

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dopey, Feb 10, 2013.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Because he is a guy who sells men's clothing that doesn't dress like a guy who sells men's clothing.

He is a menswear blogger who doesn't dress like a menswear blogger.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I first met Will while I was out for a run in SoMa. This was before the store became a full-blown thing and before I had heard of Style Forum. Nice guy.

3. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

What? Another personality thread?! I thought the Great Man Theory is defunct, with structural explanations of the world being de rigueur in the academic bubble -- or at least so I was told back in university.

Still, I'll jump on this one. Saw him in London this year T'was a cold and rainy afternoon, not untypical, and he stood at the Jermyn Street end of the Piccadilly Arcade, and was gazing intently at the rain. Five minutes later, the rain stopped (I was waiting for it to subside too). I kid you not. Must have been Will.

4. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

I've always had great service from ASW and love Will's blog. Would love to hear Foo's opinion though as Will was one of the first to use StyFo as a commercial opportunity (which, by Foo's lights, has set this forum on its current downhill).

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Obviously I'm not in the know here. Where is this blog?

6. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

A Suitable Wardrobe.

7. Caustic Man

8. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Agreed.

He dresses like an adult.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Will's great. He was a pure blogger long before he opened his online shop, and had demonstrated both his taste and knowledge in spades. So, his case is a bit different from others. Anyway, I have no problem with ads and sponsors. It's the current crowd of consumption-oriented posters that has changed the forum. Maybe you can link the two, but we've always had ads and sponsors (hey, can't have a forum if the forum owners can't make money!).

10. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

'A Suitable Wardrobe' has articles on caviar and sending your shirts out to the laundry, rather than just ironing them yourself or getting the wife to do so.

It is not really relevant to the life I lead. I suspect Will always travels with a steamer trunk and never just hand luggage on a budget airline.

What did he do before he started on clothes full time? What line of work was he in ?

11. Caustic Man

I know what you mean. I don't begrudge anyone that lifestyle, I'm very much a typical live and let live Californian in that respect, but it just doesn't relate to me. No matter how I dress I will always be that guy yelling a little too loudly at the umpires at a ball game. The great thing about people like you mention, though, is that when they write about those kind of lives it lets you in to something you might never have known before. I'm genuinely interested in that kind of lifestyle. Not because I covet it, but because it is so different from mine.

12. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Now that you mention it, I'd like to see a photo of him smoking outside of a fashion show.

13. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

I started reading his blog long before I discovered Style forum. Outstanding service and top quality inventory at ASW

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    funny about online celebrity. i was driving around SF one morning (on my way to lunch with hewhowas/is/matt) and i pulled past the Fairmount and I swear I saw Will going in. I almost stopped the car and ran over to say hi when i realized ... wait ... what would be weird.

15. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Will's such a pleasant writer that I enjoy reading anyway. Right? He never makes me feel bad about not eating caviar or ironing my own shirts or not buying "the perfect shade of wine" necktie.