Why does yoox hate America?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spidercan, Jul 1, 2011.

1. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

It wouldn't surprise me if Yoox was experiencing the same trademark infringement issue that those trying to sell Rolex watches cross-border experience: Legally, only Rolex USA is allowed to import Rolex watches into the United States, and anyone else doing so is guilty of trademark infringement. I could see the same thing having happened here (and based on the brands who got pulled, I'd be willing to guess that RL's lawyers drafted the briefs). Only certain entities are legally allowed to import certain goods into the US and Yoox would have been in violation. Not only does their warehouse reside outside of the US, but many of the items delivered have original tags from stores based outside the US.

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

3. W.R.

W.R. Senior member

As a 4th of July gift to you Americans I could proxy from Yoox to you for free. I visit the post office regularly anyway.

4. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

They used to be a warehouse selling off the dregs of fashion brands. Now they are an international distribution stream selling millions of units at barely reduced prices. At some point the brands were going to notice that their shit was being sold off as "bargain" and it hurts the brand more than it helps clear stock.
    Having dabbled in affiliate marketing and knowing some industry leaders, brands would prefer to use their own discount channels and affiliate networks to preserve their brand value(s). Coupon codes to targeting customers are the more direct way of shifting dead stock. The buyer thinks they're getting a deal, the brand shifts unwanted garments. Everyone is happy.

5. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

A ton of my stuff just disappeared 20+ items, yet they are still available outside the USA. Why do they do this? It's not that brands are asking for removal bc some stuff is still available from these other brand brands.

Anyone have an answer for this practice?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  6. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Wow, did not know they kept RL out of america. Just looked at the EU selection and it's pretty great, especially for the prices. I'd probably buy a bunch of things if I could.

7. Medtech71

Medtech71 Well-Known Member

Yes, you Americans have it so bad in terms of selection :violin:

Try being charged 20% more for an item than what you guys pay, even when your currency is worth more....

8. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

huh? Our currency is worth more?

9. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

I routinely compare my (Canadian) prices to the US ones on Yoox by opening it in two browsers at once and changing my ship-to country in one of them. The US always has lower prices, more discounts, and bigger drops than we do. You are, in general terms, the most sought-after/spoiled market in the world, and have no room to complain about "lack of discounts" -- though the OP is well within his rights to criticize stock disappearances.

Random examples:
    Prada khakis: US$215 marked down to $125, versus CAN$230 down to $155
    Marc Jacobs jacket: US$820 -> $490, versus CAN$1290 -> $730
    Brunello Cucinelli suede jacket: US$2130 -> $1590, vs. CAN$2150 -> $1690
    Raf by Raf Simons jeans: US$275 -> $75, vs. CAN$295 -> $147

As you can see, sometimes our price is just a little higher, but sometimes it's double. I used a proxy here recently to pick up a jacket because it was $790 on the Canadian site and $570 on the US site.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  10. Aqualung

Aqualung Senior member

The only dreambox I have is Amanda Seyfried's [​IMG]

11. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

This should really be: "why does Yoox hate tall people?"

Has anyone ever seen any SC (Italian) in long? Do they just not exist. I keep pining for a boglioli but they're always too short! Augh!

12. Aqualung

Aqualung Senior member

Yes, what is it with these boy sizes?

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

+1 This just happened to my box. Strange indeed. Not unilateral across brands though!

14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

they factor in shipping and customs. Yoox has a warehouse in NJ, makes American shipping cheaper.

15. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

Hoping they reappear after this weekend or perhaps in a 90% off sample sale.