1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people buy J.Crew?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I spot checked a few prices:
    $150 sweaters
    $25 T-shirts
    $60 chinos
    $300 boots
    $60 Oxfords

I'm not speaking to quality (or to sales), but you probably should be pulling down $80k minimum to play in this price range.
    (I'd say $125k if you live in a city)
    Unless, of course, you're a $30,000 millionaire, or a Prole riddled with credit card debt.

In my affluent college, most people wore $30 sweaters/shirts, $50 shoes, $10 T's, and $30 chinos.
    So, the markup from "basic apparel" is about 100-500%.

Maybe I'm out of touch.
    I didn't spend big on clothing until I had serious assets and job seniority/security.
    And, that comes long after college age.
    Then again, the JCrew sales demographics overwhelmingly back that up.

2. HPress

HPress Senior member

Maybe I'm out of touch.
    I didn't spend big on clothing until I had serious assets and job seniority/security.
    And, that comes long after college age.

The catch: very few people actually attain any assets or job seniority/security. The median family income in the U.S. is still 50,000 last time I checked.

The reason we are even having discussion because of J. Crew's (and similar brands') success in marketing itself as an aspirational brand. So many people "shop" there and feel they are participating even though they can't afford the clothes. It's kind of like when I was in high school and used constantly "shop" at Diesel and Benetton and Hugo Boss and the like, even though I bought one item every few months.

3. katies334

katies334 Member

You do raise some good points.

4. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

The catch: very few people actually attain any assets or job seniority/security. The median family income in the U.S. is still 50,000 last time I checked.

It was less then that IIRC in the 2007 census. The Pew centre put out a piece a few months back claiming 80% of families had lost some income during the current recesion. Figure a chunk of that figure is non cash (health benefits etc) and the amount that can be spent is even lower.

5. ranker

ranker Senior member

Jcrew is cheap crap.

After all the hype on this board and the SW&D, I bit the bullet, used a 20% off code to purchase a few shirts, chinos, cords, and sweaters.

1st, the shirts fit horribly and feel like tissue rags. In a small the neck barely fits but I'm swimming in the chest and I have wings because the arms are so baggy. Sizing down to an XS won't allow me to button the neck, the chest is super tight, but I'm still swimming in the arms.

On top of that, the quality control is stupid. I purchased the exact same shirt but different color scheme (was going to return the one I didn't like after seeing it in person) and they measured to be off by as much as 1". Further research in the SW&D forum showed that this quality control issue is a common occurrence.

The sweaters like a previous poster mention are pretty trashy too. After 2 washes, its already piling and threads are pulling at the seams.

The only thing remotely wearable happens to be their cords. However, after recently finding Mabitex on our local B&S, I can't ever find a reason to go back to their khaki's when Mabitex is 10x the quality at half the price.

I would never purchase any of their clothing in the future, even at sale price. Club Monaco does their look better at the same price point and offers better construction for beater wear.

6. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

Price does not equal quality. My original complaint for this thread was that their merchandise is constructed cheaply, not necessary sold cheaply. They definitely market their stuff from the well-off perspective, but once you receive your fused, poorly constructed ludlow jacket you'll realize how much of a con it all is.

7. HPress

HPress Senior member

1st, the shirts fit horribly and feel like tissue rags. In a small the neck barely fits but I'm swimming in the chest and I have wings because the arms are so baggy. Sizing down to an XS won't allow me to button the neck, the chest is super tight, but I'm still swimming in the arms.

On top of that, the quality control is stupid. I purchased the exact same shirt but different color scheme (was going to return the one I didn't like after seeing it in person) and they measured to be off by as much as 1". Further research in the SW&D forum showed that this quality control issue is a common occurrence.

Yep. The fit of the shirts is sad. But I do like the fabric on mine. In fact, my favorite shirt is J. Crew. But as I said, I only buy them for $5 at Goodwill.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

Jcrew is cheap crap. After all the hype on this board and the SW&D, I bit the bullet, used a 20% off code to purchase a few shirts, chinos, cords, and sweaters. 1st, the shirts fit horribly and feel like tissue rags. In a small the neck barely fits but I'm swimming in the chest and I have wings because the arms are so baggy. Sizing down to an XS won't allow me to button the neck, the chest is super tight, but I'm still swimming in the arms. On top of that, the quality control is stupid. I purchased the exact same shirt but different color scheme (was going to return the one I didn't like after seeing it in person) and they measured to be off by as much as 1". Further research in the SW&D forum showed that this quality control issue is a common occurrence. The sweaters like a previous poster mention are pretty trashy too. After 2 washes, its already piling and threads are pulling at the seams. The only thing remotely wearable happens to be their cords. However, after recently finding Mabitex on our local B&S, I can't ever find a reason to go back to their khaki's when Mabitex is 10x the quality at half the price. I would never purchase any of their clothing in the future, even at sale price. Club Monaco does their look better at the same price point and offers better construction for beater wear.
    ROFLMAO at this post. Yes - it's J. Crew's fault when their XS sizing doesn't fit you, and when you are 'swimming' in the S. Maybe it's because these shirts were not designed for novelty-sized men, or to be worn like a hipster DB? Sorry they don't fit like faded polaroid-hip BoO 'handmade in China' crap. Yes - their sweaters suck because they pill, especially since you wash them! Yes - Mabitex khakis in B&S at $60 or $110 are 'half the price' of J. Crew khakis. Sweet jesus I hope you don't discover W+H, WWM, or Margiela - their stuff is less than 1/4 the price of J. Crew stuff! [​IMG]

9. HPress

HPress Senior member

ROFLMAO at this post.

Yes - it's J. Crew's fault when their XS sizing doesn't fit you, and when you are 'swimming' in the S. Maybe it's because these shirts were not designed for novelty-sized men, or to be worn like a hipster DB? Sorry they don't fit like faded polaroid-hip BoO 'handmade in China' crap.

Yes - their sweaters suck because they pill, especially since you wash them!

Yes - Mabitex khakis in B&S at $60 or $110 are 'half the price' of J. Crew khakis. Sweet jesus I hope you don't discover W+H, WWM, or Margiela - their stuff is less than 1/4 the price of J. Crew stuff!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

The catch: very few people actually attain any assets or job seniority/security. The median family income in the U.S. is still 50,000 last time I checked. .
    Well, that's perfect b/c the other "catch" is that very few people shop at JCrew. In fact, I'd even guess that most of the country has never even HEARD of JCrew. Proof? Contrast your USA median income to JCrew's reported medians. They are off the charts. (Almost half the JCrew customers earn over $100k) I'd also say that JCrew's customer income estimates are actually understated, if anything. Speaking for myself, I never check the "$200k+" box on those customer personal info cards. First, I never answer that shit, but if I can't get around it, I always pick an average bracket. I don't need their IT geeks targeting me for pesky cross marketing.

11. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

I once shined my shoes with a Rubinacci tie.

AE seconds?

12. ranker

ranker Senior member

ROFLMAO at this post. Yes - it's J. Crew's fault when their XS sizing doesn't fit you, and when you are 'swimming' in the S. Maybe it's because these shirts were not designed for novelty-sized men, or to be worn like a hipster DB? Sorry they don't fit like faded polaroid-hip BoO 'handmade in China' crap.
    37" chest with a 30" waist, 18" shoulders. I'm far from a 'hipster db'. I'm not the starting linebacker but I guess I might not be typical fat america? I'm in shape, athletic. I'm the prototypical RLBL anthony fit if we're to talk about what suiting fits me best.
    Even the Blue label RL sweaters at the same price point don't pill nor pull at the seams as bad as Jcrew's.
    Not sure what logical point you're attempting to make. I picked up my Mabitex on B&S for $45 a pair, and bought my Urban Slim fit Cords for 75 and Bowerie Microstripes for $90. Now after rereading the above, I'm sure you completely missed my point. Why pay more for Jcrew when something at a lesser price point does it better by a wide margin. I have no problems paying a larger amount for MMM as I'm often paying for a specific design or fabric. However, for staple wear, Mabitex and Incotex offer better value than the crap Jcrew peddles. Sorry if I'm not feeling your favorite brand. I'm sure you'll get over it.

13. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

37" chest with a 30" waist, 18" shoulders.
    How tall are you? About 5'6"?
    Not sure what logical point you're attempting to make. I picked up my Mabitex on B&S for $45 a pair, .
    The logical point is that Mabitex is not cheaper than JCrew just b/c you bought them used/flipped/overstocked. JCrew retail costs half of Mabitex retail... Consistent with the income distributions, I'd say 99.9% of Americans have not heard of Mabitex.

14. JGlover

JGlover New Member

ROFLMAO at this post.

Yes - it's J. Crew's fault when their XS sizing doesn't fit you, and when you are 'swimming' in the S. Maybe it's because these shirts were not designed for novelty-sized men, or to be worn like a hipster DB? Sorry they don't fit like faded polaroid-hip BoO 'handmade in China' crap.

Yes - their sweaters suck because they pill, especially since you wash them!

Yes - Mabitex khakis in B&S at $60 or $110 are 'half the price' of J. Crew khakis. Sweet jesus I hope you don't discover W+H, WWM, or Margiela - their stuff is less than 1/4 the price of J. Crew stuff!

[​IMG]

I am also laughing at this post, as well as the ones from Jay Gatsby. The XS doesn't fit you, and the Ludlow sleeves were too long? Get a bigger size or go to a tailor. It is not incumbent upon J. Crew to make custom-made clothes for your specific body. What a ludicrous complaint. Also, washing sweaters and complaining when they come apart? Wow. I mean, wow.

When people rip J. Crew like this, what they are actually trying to do is convince themselves they made the right decision spending thousands at higher price points.

15. ranker

ranker Senior member

How tall are you?
    About 5'6"?

If I'm feeling insecure, I'll say 5'9. I'm 5'8.5 if we want to be exact without shoes. What's the point of asking my height other than to hopefully take a shot at me? =)

Even if we're to exclude the large quantities seen on B&S, I've seen Mabitex as well as Incotex online for roughly the same price point between $80-110, including Gilt. I'm not sure why we're looking only at strictly retail prices rather than market prices.

Additionally, although I have no problems affording it, I'd never pay retail for RL blue label (and sometimes even RLBL) because its always on sale or easily found marked down.

There are plenty of other mall brands that offer better fits, construction at similar price points. Club Monaco and Benetton surpass Jcrew in most cases.

16. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

If I'm feeling insecure, I'll say 5'9. I'm 5'8.5 if we want to be exact without shoes. What's the point of asking my height other than to hopefully take a shot at me? =) .
    Hardly. I was just curious how odd your fit is. At 5'9", 30W, 37C, you're rail thin, like an Asian. I'm guessing you weigh 140 lbs? Nothing OTR is going to fit you, not even slim fit. I get all my shirts taken in for $10, and I'm not as skinny as you are. You'll need to get everything tailored, if you want to play the SF game. JCrew chinos start at $59, retail. Mabitex is def. a higher price point.

17. apropos

apropos Senior member

Even if we're to exclude the large quantities seen on B&S, I've seen Mabitex as well as Incotex online for roughly the same price point between $80-110, including Gilt. I'm not sure why we're looking only at strictly retail prices rather than market prices.
    Doing a search for 'J Crew khaki' with a price limit of $20 on eBay brings up more than 70 pairs - so much for your 'market prices'. [​IMG] I also love the way everyone thinks a 6-7" drop is 'athletic'. WTF did that stupid misconception come from? Do any of the RLBL models really look 'athletic' to you? A 6-7"drop is fucking normal in non-Hicksville Walmart-fatty-land. Show me a 9-15" drop, then we can start talking. [​IMG]

18. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

A person with a 6-10" drop looks very fit... A 15" drop is more like a circus freak. [​IMG] Careful, Hicksville is only 25 miles from NYC. [​IMG] http://goo.gl/maps/PRlx

19. ranker

ranker Senior member

Hardly. I was just curious how odd your fit is. At 5'9", 30W, 37C, you're rail thin, like an Asian. I'm guessing you weigh 140 lbs? Nothing OTR is going to fit you, not even slim fit.
    Can't win on premise, so keep attacking the poster? Got it. Feels like Nov elections in the Jcrew thread. =) I'm 155 lbs. Not rail thin. I am Asian. I have plenty that fits me great OTR if we want to talk mall brands here at South Coast Plaza: RLBL, Emporio, Gucci, D&G, Varvatos. If we want similar price points to Jcrew, then Club Monaco, Benetton, and AX (how I dread their logowear, but their fit is pretty spot on for that price point range). Any other shots you want to take?
    Nice strawman argument. Never said my drop makes me athletic. My years playing soccer, hockey, and bball, all while hitting the gym 4 days week do. You've proven my point by saying I'm 'normal non-hicksville" America. If I can't wear Jcrew OTR and I'm 'normal non-hicksville' america, then how out of touch are they with their sizing? Again, we're here to discuss the clothes yet because I don't hold your revered brand in the same light, the topic turns towards attacking me. Winning arguments.

20. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Ranker, I wasn't taking a shot at you.
    I was being factual.
    I am also thin, but, you're even thinner than I am.
    I have found almost nothing OTR that fits me well (and is under $100), except BR Monogram pants, and Nordstrom's Slim Fit shirts.

For the record, I don't even like JCrew.
    I think it's overpriced.