Why do people buy J.Crew?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Sep 11, 2010.

1. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

2. smoothie

smoothie Senior member

I bought one of the 'ludlow jackets' from there. The sleeves were two inches too long. The jacket was fused. The lapel button was a keyhole shaped button. The lapel was folded at the wrong place. It was a piece of shit all around.

So.....why'd you buy it??[​IMG]

3. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

So.....why'd you buy it??[​IMG]

A person with nominal intelligence would assume from the post that I'd bought it from a catalog or online.

4. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

A person with nominal intelligence would assume from the post that I'd bought it from a catalog or online.

The same person would assume a $265 sportcoat to be fused.

Also, J Crew isn't always cheap. Their Breton shirt, for instance, is $85, when the Breton Shirt Company only wants thirty pounds for their superb product.

5. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

I once shined my shoes with a Rubinacci tie.

I wipe my ass with bolts of cloth from Rubinacci.

6. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

It's not terrible stuff, but it's somewhat overpriced for what it is. It's not for poor folks at all. You can get much better stuff at their price points, especially sweaters. Decent label in some ways, better than any other mall brand, but pretty crappy price point given what it is.

Incidentally, their overly thin lapels and short jackets are really ridiculous looking. I can wait for that trend to go away.

7. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

because we always get it on sale

8. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Rather have J. Crew over Banana Republic any day.

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

The same person would assume a $265 sportcoat to be fused.

Also, J Crew isn't always cheap. Their Breton shirt, for instance, is $85, when the Breton Shirt Company only wants thirty pounds for their superb product.

Seriously. What did you expect? Garbage is cheap. In fact, I have a bag of garbage downstairs in my kitchen that I'll give you for free, you don't even have to pay me for it.

10. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

A person with even less than nominal intelligence could assume from life experience that cheap clothes bought from a catalog or on-line are not the best clothes being made.

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

A person with even less than nominal intelligence could assume from life experience that cheap clothes bought from a catalog or on-line are not the best clothes being made.

bingo!

12. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

This

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

That being said, they do serve their purpose..Everyone isn't of the baller status! Just don't expect canvassed suits/jackets for $200!

14. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

It's the gateway for Ralph Lauren.
    Perhaps it is very true. They (J.Crew) are starting to sell merchandise made by Alden, Crockett and Belstaff in their stores, hoping that the presence of quality merch will somehow rub-off onto the rest of their Chinese garbage. There is one more step left for J.Crew to take as a company it is to remove the other companie's tags and put their own instead and they would become the Second Greatest Fashion Designer of Amurika after the mighty Ralph Lipschitz. P.S. I had a misfortune to buy one of their Merino sweaters and it is ready for a trash bag after one season. I wore it may be 3 times and it is stretched horribly around cuffs and fuzzy all over. Garbage in garbage out.

15. jabreal00

jabreal00 Senior member

J-Crew is decent. I got a pair of slim fitting cords. I love the fit. At $75 I don't think po' folks or even college students would pay for that price point. However, it's not >$150, so one can buy on a whim. It seems to be of pretty good quality. I'd never get a suit from them though.