• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are SA's so stuck up?

Tardek

Reaction score
I see you get a lot of job satisfaction, sambo.
boxing[1].gif

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sambojones
+1

I work retail at a high end store as well... thankfully I'm just a customer service associate and not sales. I try to be as helpful as possible, and I greet each customer that passes through my area even if they think its fake or whatever because I hate going to other stores and just have people stare blankly at me its rude and marsupialed. Most of my coworkers try and help people as much as possible, but some people don't understand that for how little we make even with commissions its not really worth it to bust our asses bending over backwards for you especially if your rude. I have many customers that I really like and chat with they come in to the store. If you want some help finding something or want some advice most of us are more than happy to help, but if you just want to come in and jerk us around mess up all the store displays and then not buy anything you better bet we'll remember and next time you come in the store no one will offer to help you and when you do ask us to go to the back to look for something we'll walk back sit down for a few minutes come back and tell you we don't have it and walk away to another customer before you can bother us more. We like our good customers and we'll bend over backwards and bend rules and sometimes give them extra little discounts just because they're consistently nice and bring us lots of business. For the rude ones we could care less if they come back, the **** commission from their sale isn't worth the hassle.

One common scenario below that happens at least once a day

It pisses me off to no end when someone rushes up to the register with huge armfuls of items all from the clearance racks and all ugly ****. Then they act like they're my ******* god when half the **** is like 60-90% off the original price. They act like they're in a hurry, but want me to tell them each price and exactly what discounts they got all while jabbering on their ************* blue tooth headset and badgering me to hurry with their items. At the end of it all they only decide that they are gonna purchase 2 items out of the 50 that they threw not set on the counter, because they thought that everything should be 90% off and that I should suck their dick or at least give them a hand job (this applies for both men and women because the women probably have huge disgusting clits that look like dicks anyway). And how do they decide to pay instead of handing over a credit card they take the passive aggressive route and throw it on the counter as they thrust their nose into the air and turn their head away like they don't care how much it costs and it usually falls on the floor making me pick it up. When I ask for an ID I'm usually greeted with a look of disgust and disdain because I don't know who this dumb ass is that's spending maybe $50-200 today and who will more than likely return it tomorrow because they didn't have time to try it on since they were busy checking the prices on the entire clearance rack and arguing with me about every discount (because since i stand their all day and ring transactions I wouldn't know how any of the sales worked). More often then not this breed of moron doesn't have any credit cards in their name but they insist on using the card of their mother/father/husband what the hell ever and the names on the cards don't match so at the end of it all they don't even buy anything because they're not even using their own accounts.

Retail from my experience sucks its a crappy job, but will do till I graduate. The pay is alright, but its definitely not enough to kiss anyone's ass over.

If you consistently have problems with SA's being rude to you then the problem might just be you and not them.

Punk AZZ *****

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Yes, it is totally ridiculous for someone earning 7-12 an hour to look down on me.

FWIW, It's equally ridiculous for you to look down on someone for earning 7-12 an hour.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209
FWIW, It's equally ridiculous for you to look down on someone for earning 7-12 an hour.

+1. You should not be condescending to anyone regardless of how much they make.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and i dont know where you guys shop, but SA's where i am do not make 12 an hour. some can make upwards of 100,000.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
What makes them think they can be so damn stuck up?
Few hiring requirements. Lack of professional training. Poor management.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I think a lot of times they just reflect the attitudes of their customers. A lot of people treat SA's like **** (or like their personal servants) and it would just be a natural human response for the SA's to start behaving in a similar manner - as a defense mechanism - to whoever they are dealing with.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209

How is it NOT ridiculous for a sales person who cannot possibly afford what he/she is selling, and stand around passing judgement on people who can? I am not judging them as people, I'm judging them as employees. You can't act like a snob in a place where you NEED the people that come through the door. They aren't doing me a favor by being there, they need me, I don't need them, and I certainly don't need any needless attitude from people who pretend like they're someting they're not. As I said in this thread, I've hardly ever had trouble, but I do know of times where people of means have gone into a store and very politely enquired about something and been treated like **** with a quite obvious socio-economic sneer from the sales person.

What exactly do you not get, you ******* moron?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
How is it NOT ridiculous for a sales person who cannot possibly afford what he/she is selling, and stand around passing judgement on people who can? I am not judging them as people, I'm judging them as employees. You can't act like a snob in a place where you NEED the people that come through the door. They aren't doing me a favor by being there, they need me, I don't need them, and I certainly don't need any needless attitude from people who pretend like they're someting they're not. As I said in this thread, I've hardly ever had trouble, but I do know of times where people of means have gone into a store and very politely enquired about something and been treated like **** with a quite obvious socio-economic sneer from the sales person.

What exactly do you not get, you ******* moron?

I'm not sure that this attitude will generally cause you to receive the best service.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I'm not sure that this attitude will generally cause you to receive the best service.

Please learn to read.

Look what I said earlier on in the thread. Was I the one complaining about SAs? No. In fact I said that I had almost all positive experiences. I was commenting on a lot of what I'd read here about snotty SAs, including that one a month ago or so when the woman said to a member her, something about being able to afford some shoes. I'm very sorry but that just isn't how you treat a customer, most especially if you are judging their financial situation and most likely are worse off than them. It's just plain pathetic.

Again, please go back and read what I wrote. I have had very few problems being treated badly. In fact, I go to most of the same stores over and over again because I have a sales person that I always deal with, and several of them receive a christmas gift every year (and I receive a card from them), so really, you need to check who you're talking to.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
I thought you were just an asshole... but I guess you are an asshole with a bloated ego.
By expecting a greeting when someone looks at me? That's called common courtesy and without a greeting they're just staring at me. Maybe you're too young to realize it, but staring isn't exactly polite. When I go into a place of business whether it's a restaurant, retail store, tailor, whatever I expect a greeting. If they don't greet me or turn away or act like I'm not wanted there (think Best Buy) I usually leave unless I need something from there. If an employee doesn't greet me, I greet them. They instantly know that they should've greeted me first whenever I do it. My ego doesn't factor in at all. If anything it's me being a snob more than egotistical. Ever hear of the 5 foot rule? Might want to learn it if you feel like doing something with your life.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
By expecting a greeting when someone looks at me? That's called common courtesy and without a greeting they're just staring at me. Maybe you're too young to realize it, but staring isn't exactly polite.

I don't even need to be greeted, a polite acknowledgement in the form of a smile and a nod is enough.

I find that in general, if you just look the person in the eye sincerely as you're asking for help, or conversely, telling them that you are looking for something but don't need any help for the moment, that you'll be treated just fine. I haven't really been the 'victim' of poor service, but based on what people are saying here, and stories that I have heard from my friends, having someone act a snob to you for no reason is pretty rich considering the SAs position.

I just took my oldest nephew the other day to get his first nice dress shirt. My brother doesn't know or care about any of that and just asked me to do it. He was dressed like any normal youngster and quite honestly we were treated exceedingly well, so I don't really know how some of you do end up in these situations, but I know I wouldn't like it if it happened to me.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Seriously, you work for the store. You should be sucking ******* for me to buy something, especially in today's economy.

do you think maybe having this attitude is the reason you get a negative attitude in return?

I'm friendly to my local SA's and they're all very helpful and friendly to me in return, and i'm by no means a big spender in any one store, they all know me by name.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're well dressed and look like you belong when you go in than you shouldn't have a problem. Granted, I agree they shouldn't treat you like badly otherwise, but come on, a little common sense goes a long way.

Maybe I'm weird, but if I'm shopping for a suit or having one tailored, I will wear one in. One reason is that they won't treat me like a know-nothing slob, but I can also use the suit to show the SA/tailor the style and cut of the clothing I would be most interested in seeing. Also, when I'm trying on a suit (or shoes, dress shirt, etc...) I can get a better idea of how it will look and fit if I'm wearing things that would go with the item I'm trying on.

As for places like Macy's, well, can you blame them for being pissy?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8