• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are SA's so stuck up?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I have had some very positive experiences dressed like a total schlub with SAs in high-end places.

However, I generally like SAs to leave me alone, and I'll come to them if I have a question. What's with people who need SAs in the first place? You can't figure out whether you like a sweater or not? You're too good to look through the pile of sweaters yourself to see if they have any Mediums - you need someone to look for you?

I feel the same way about waitstaff. Have you ever been to one of those, "My name is Bob, and I'll be your server today" places? A) I don't give a **** what your name is, and B) the fact that you are coming over to my table and handing me menus pretty much clued me in as to what your role is tonight. You don't have to announce it. A "My name is Bob, and I'll be your server today" place invariably follows up with repeated, "How is everything tonight? Are you enjoying your chicken?" to which I have to bite my tongue to prevent myself from saying, "It would be a lot better if you didn't come over asking me every 5 minutes how I was doing. If I need something, I'll let you know."

/rant

I agree, completely! I prefer to look on my own in stores. In restaurants, I appreciate courteous servers, but I really don't need to know their names and certainly would prefer that they don't constantly interrupt my meal with questions or attempts at conversation.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
SA's are judgemental because they have to guess which of the customers might buy something.... but sometimes they guess wrong (and it's not necessary to piss off customers in the process).

At least waiters don't have to put up with people coming into restaurants who are "just looking". Waiters don't get to pick and choose their customers (in most cases).

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
If I walk into a store or restaurant and nobody greets me I usually leave.

I thought you were just an asshole... but I guess you are an asshole with a bloated ego.

I think when you go in a place of business most staff can't greet you without sounding totally fake, and to me that's worse than genuine passive availability to help. Also when I go to a restaurant I don't go there to socialize with the staff, courtesy is fine but that whole name thing is over the top.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I have the opposite problem since joining SF. Now, I find that I am far more stuck up than a SA could ever be. I will walk into a high-end boutique and start dropping terms like 'three roll two' or 'drop eight' and wait for the reaction; if it's puzzlement or silence, I know I am dealing with a nincompoop and ignore all their subsequent advice. Earlier in the year I was trying on topcoats and informed the SA that I didn't want one with a hidden placket. When she came back with one, I pointed out her error and she tried to save the situation by claiming she thought I was talking about double-breasted coats (wtf?). Needless to say, she got no commission that day. A positive consequence of this development is that I am now able to pierce through the bullshit to see the sales pitch. The other day I was trying on a navy 3b Samuelsohn suit which was a pretty good bargain at $550 CAD, but the shoulders were extremely structured, so much so that the sleevehead was puckering. I pointed this out to the SA (a 40 year-old train wreck with a soul patch and a diamond earring) after he claimed that it was a 'perfect fit' (and a 'no-brainer' at that price!) and he assured me that the effect was completely normal. I disagreed, and in a masterstroke of ego, I told him to fetch me a Canali with much more natural shoulders from the rack for comparison, thus teaching him a sartorial lesson he would not soon forget. A sound drubbing that was, haha!
fight[1].gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've very rarely encountered problems. Yes, it is totally ridiculous for someone earning 7-12 an hour to look down on me, but I'm almost always able to get a positive experience. I don't go to stores to kick tires and I'm sure that comes across. I'm pretty quick as a shopper and I don't tend to mull around.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I'm surprised that many of you haven't had negative experiences with SAs. Not too long ago I was in Holt Renfrew looking to purchase shoes, and it just so happens that I was poorly attired wearing sweat pants and a tshirt. It took nearly 30 minutes before someone working in the shoe department asked if I needed assistance. Prior to them offering their help I was shot perplexed and judgmental stares. Then once they realize you're willing to spend money, and have the capacity to do so, you're the best of friends. ******* assholes.

I have had many pleasant experiences with folks who work at these retail outlets, fwiw. The unpleasant experience seems to carry more weight though...

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
I'm surprised that many of you haven't had negative experiences with SAs. Not too long ago I was in Holt Renfrew looking to purchase shoes, and it just so happens that I was poorly attired wearing sweat pants and a tshirt. It took nearly 30 minutes before someone working in the shoe department asked if I needed assistance. Prior to them offering their help I was shot perplexed and judgmental stares. Then once they realize you're willing to spend money, and have the capacity to do so, you're the best of friends. ******* assholes.

I have had many pleasant experiences with folks who work at these retail outlets, fwiw. The unpleasant experience seems to carry more weight though...

In essence they are coat hangers.
eek.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I work at a clothing store on the weekend and always try to be as nice and polite as possible
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Seriously though, if it's hectic, please try to be understanding

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I'm just ******* dying to know, is why everyone goes to these stores dressed like a homeless person? About a year ago, I googled something and it led me to the GQ Forums. I read stuff there for a couple days and came accross a few stories of people going to stores in sweatpants, and I've seen it here a few times. Half of them are "O, I'm a sales person at X retailer and one day a guy in sweatpants came in and bought 50k worth of stuff with his black card", or the above, people going ind ressed like **** getting bad service.

I mean, do people not dress normally when they go shopping? Is there some sort of gotcha moment, like you're on your own private hidden camera show, that you want to surprise a person earning a living who doubts someone dressed like a homeless person will buy? It just seems crass and really stupid. Shopping isn't like this big outing for me, but I have to say I'm a bit shocked at how many people like to go to high end retailers looking like they just mowed a lawn.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
people stop in stores when they're out doing ****; ie: running errands, going to the gym. most people aren't wearing a bespoke 3 piece when walking the dog.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i work at a high end store. and generally they are only assholes when youre annoying, think you know what youre talking about but have no idea, or bug them for absolutely nothing. obviously some of them do have a big ego for absolutely no reason. what people dont understand is the SA is not your personal shopper. they will help etc, but obviously theyre annoyed when you made them get you everything in the store and took up literally 2 hours and only bought a shirt on sale. if you want that attention, go to the personal shoppers and drop 10,000 per visit.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
What I'm just ******* dying to know, is why everyone goes to these stores dressed like a homeless person? About a year ago, I googled something and it led me to the GQ Forums. I read stuff there for a couple days and came accross a few stories of people going to stores in sweatpants, and I've seen it here a few times. Half of them are "O, I'm a sales person at X retailer and one day a guy in sweatpants came in and bought 50k worth of stuff with his black card", or the above, people going ind ressed like **** getting bad service.

I mean, do people not dress normally when they go shopping? Is there some sort of gotcha moment, like you're on your own private hidden camera show, that you want to surprise a person earning a living who doubts someone dressed like a homeless person will buy? It just seems crass and really stupid. Shopping isn't like this big outing for me, but I have to say I'm a bit shocked at how many people like to go to high end retailers looking like they just mowed a lawn.

I was so well-dressed once that, upon venting my frustration at not being able to find any shirts in my size, I was asked why I didn't get them MTM. I had to shame-facedly reply that I couldn't afford to.
blush.gif

Sweatpants it is!

sambojones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
i work at a high end store. and generally they are only assholes when youre annoying, think you know what youre talking about but have no idea, or bug them for absolutely nothing. obviously some of them do have a big ego for absolutely no reason. what people dont understand is the SA is not your personal shopper. they will help etc, but obviously theyre annoyed when you made them get you everything in the store and took up literally 2 hours and only bought a shirt on sale. if you want that attention, go to the personal shoppers and drop 10,000 per visit.
+1 I work retail at a high end store as well... thankfully I'm just a customer service associate and not sales. I try to be as helpful as possible, and I greet each customer that passes through my area even if they think its fake or whatever because I hate going to other stores and just have people stare blankly at me its rude and marsupialed. Most of my coworkers try and help people as much as possible, but some people don't understand that for how little we make even with commissions its not really worth it to bust our asses bending over backwards for you especially if your rude. I have many customers that I really like and chat with they come in to the store. If you want some help finding something or want some advice most of us are more than happy to help, but if you just want to come in and jerk us around mess up all the store displays and then not buy anything you better bet we'll remember and next time you come in the store no one will offer to help you and when you do ask us to go to the back to look for something we'll walk back sit down for a few minutes come back and tell you we don't have it and walk away to another customer before you can bother us more. We like our good customers and we'll bend over backwards and bend rules and sometimes give them extra little discounts just because they're consistently nice and bring us lots of business. For the rude ones we could care less if they come back, the **** commission from their sale isn't worth the hassle. One common scenario below that happens at least once a day It pisses me off to no end when someone rushes up to the register with huge armfuls of items all from the clearance racks and all ugly ****. Then they act like they're my ******* god when half the **** is like 60-90% off the original price. They act like they're in a hurry, but want me to tell them each price and exactly what discounts they got all while jabbering on their ************* blue tooth headset and badgering me to hurry with their items. At the end of it all they only decide that they are gonna purchase 2 items out of the 50 that they threw not set on the counter, because they thought that everything should be 90% off and that I should suck their dick or at least give them a hand job (this applies for both men and women because the women probably have huge disgusting clits that look like dicks anyway). And how do they decide to pay instead of handing over a credit card they take the passive aggressive route and throw it on the counter as they thrust their nose into the air and turn their head away like they don't care how much it costs and it usually falls on the floor making me pick it up. When I ask for an ID I'm usually greeted with a look of disgust and disdain because I don't know who this dumb ass is that's spending maybe $50-200 today and who will more than likely return it tomorrow because they didn't have time to try it on since they were busy checking the prices on the entire clearance rack and arguing with me about every discount (because since i stand their all day and ring transactions I wouldn't know how any of the sales worked). More often then not this breed of moron doesn't have any credit cards in their name but they insist on using the card of their mother/father/husband what the hell ever and the names on the cards don't match so at the end of it all they don't even buy anything because they're not even using their own accounts. Retail from my experience sucks its a crappy job, but will do till I graduate. The pay is alright, but its definitely not enough to kiss anyone's ass over. If you consistently have problems with SA's being rude to you then the problem might just be you and not them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.8%

Forum statistics

Threads