• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who sips their protein shakes during the day?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking about trying out Metabolic Drive (super) protein and apparently it is supposed to taste great.

Normally, I'd mix and drink immediately. However, I'm going to be using the drink as my food mainly (with some solids). I don't want to bring several bottles to school (powder, water, mixing bottle).

Was wondering if anyone has experience in mixing protein powder (say in the morning) and drinking it through the day.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
So I was thinking about trying out Metabolic Drive (super) protein and apparently it is supposed to taste great.

Normally, I'd mix and drink immediately. However, I'm going to be using the drink as my food mainly (with some solids). I don't want to bring several bottles to school (powder, water, mixing bottle).

Was wondering if anyone has experience in mixing protein powder (say in the morning) and drinking it through the day.

Yes. Before and after lunch. About 2 to 3 hours in between lunch.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
what does their milk protein isolate taste like?

Depends on the flavor.
tongue.gif

Really though, it's the best I've had. I've never ordered a bad product from them and their customer service and prices are top-notch.

I use it for everything from being a simple supplement to adding it to stuff like pudding to increase the viscosity.

The orange flavor is the worst of the three (it's not bad, but super-thick orangey stuff just isn't all that great). I like the chocolate mint flavor the most, but I also like to put cinnamon and Splenda or Stevia in the unflavored.

smw356

Reaction score
hrm I'll give it a shot then, the chocolate-chalk flavored crap I got from trueprotein is almost gone.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Yes. Before and after lunch. About 2 to 3 hours in between lunch.

Does the taste change?
I'm wondering why I don't see this more often, I'm thinking there must be some sort of catch.

Originally Posted by why
No reason to pay retail prices for supplements when better quality can be had for much less:

www.allthewhey.com

What's the link for? I won't get a cheaper price for Metabolic Drive there.

If you're suggesting I look for another powder, I'm more interested in getting a powder I'm more familiar with. Quality protein > crappy protein but most of the time I have no idea which brand has which but in this case I've got a fairly certain idea.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Does the taste change?
I'm wondering why I don't see this more often, I'm thinking there must be some sort of catch.

What's the link for? I won't get a cheaper price for Metabolic Drive there.

If you're suggesting I look for another powder, I'm more interested in getting a powder I'm more familiar with. Quality protein > crappy protein but most of the time I have no idea which brand has which but in this case I've got a fairly certain idea.

FWIW, because I really do like Metabolic Drive because so far its the only blend i've tried with any appreciable casein content that doesn't taste like chalky ****, It really has higher than an ideal ratio of whey:casein for something that you'll be using as a general protein supplement. That and I'd rather buy from companies other than biotest since their marketing ploys are borderline scamlike and rather unethical.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That and I'd rather buy from companies other than biotest since their marketing ploys are borderline scamlike and rather unethical.

Really, Biotest is scamlike and unethical? Compared to who?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use All the Whey's because a) it's cheaper and b) it doesn't have the added fat and lecithins most other products have to increase the smoothness and give it a better mouthfeel. It's just 20% whey protein isolate and 80% micellar casein (which is superior to calcium caseinate not just nutritionally but it also doesn't taste like chalk because of the calcium).

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, because I really do like Metabolic Drive because so far its the only blend i've tried with any appreciable casein content that doesn't taste like chalky ****, It really has higher than an ideal ratio of whey:casein for something that you'll be using as a general protein supplement. That and I'd rather buy from companies other than biotest since their marketing ploys are borderline scamlike and rather unethical.

General protein supplement? What do you mean by that?

Originally Posted by James Bond
Really, Biotest is scamlike and unethical? Compared to who?

I was going to ask this as well.

Originally Posted by why
I use All the Whey's because a) it's cheaper and b) it doesn't have the added fat and lecithins most other products have to increase the smoothness and give it a better mouthfeel. It's just 20% whey protein isolate and 80% micellar casein (which is superior to calcium caseinate not just nutritionally but it also doesn't taste like chalk because of the calcium).

Here's the link to Metabolic drive. I can tell you haven't searched it up because it also uses micellar casein. The ratio is 50/50, which is exactly what I want.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=525024

Guys, I'm more interested in the informed opinions of anyone who has tried making a shake in the morning and consuming it during the day than I am discussing protein powder - you can learn about different protein powders on your own time or make another thread and I'll be happy to respond.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Won't let me edit my post (times out) so I just want to elaborate here:

I've got a specific goal in mind with the 50/50 ratio; not interested in anything more or less - I'm trying to keep it simple. I just need this last "omph" to get past a plateau.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I could make a shake big enough that it would take me any significant length of time to "sip" it. Just chug it and eat something else later if you're still hungry. Also, if you're interested in getting a blend with a very specific ration, you could check out http://www.trueprotein.com and make your own custom blend. I've never ordered from them, but I've heard some good things.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with Metabolic Drive - it's got some reputation of quality and fits my needs perfectly. Switching to a brand I have no idea concerning the quality seems like a step backwards; that's what I would do if I hadn't done my research. I'm not knocking on the brand but I'm saying I've got more of an idea where Metabolic Drive is heading compared to any custom brand.

I'm talking about 4-5 scoops of protein powder in a 1 litre bottle that I'll drink during the day.

Normally, I drink 1-2 scoops of protein powder but mixing at school is uncool b/c I hate carrying bottles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads