• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who sells ankle boot trees ?

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not anything near the grade of these ones as they approach the cost of a used Buick
musicboohoo[1].gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These look exactly like the RMW-branded boot trees, but sell for about half the price (and a third of the price of aportnoy's). Disclaimer is that I have not actually ordered from this outfit, but if anyone wants to be the first, please report back!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the woodlore boot trees that I got through GVH - the brass plaste is marked with grapevinehill's logo - they're somewhat like the one's grimslade showed, although those appear to have the more desirable split toe.

see http://stores.channeladvisor.com/gra...ems/BootTreeM?

they only seem to have medium at the moment.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Am I a monster for just using regular trees? They seem to work well enough. With Chelseas, I don't want anything stretching the elastic anyway, right?

i use regular trees with my chelseas - my boot trees are being used with a pair of zip up boots and a pair of jodphurs.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These good looking puppies (from Andrew's link ) would set me back $115-plus Provided they even had my size.

The actual boots in question are chukkas similiar to these EGs albeit by another maker.

Now, can I get away using something like that ?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
These look exactly like the RMW-branded boot trees, but sell for about half the price (and a third of the price of aportnoy's). Disclaimer is that I have not actually ordered from this outfit, but if anyone wants to be the first, please report back!

I bought those boot trees from another source that Google turned up, Peas & Corn. They seem to be a bit cheaper, but you'd have to put the whole order together and figure shipping, etc to know for sure.
http://www.peasandcornco.com/shoeand...care/cedar.asp

They work pretty well. The $100+ trees certainly look nicer, but $90-$100 nicer? Hard to justify. I also bought regular shoe trees and some Lincoln polish. The order was shipped promptly and correctly.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Am I a monster for just using regular trees? They seem to work well enough. With Chelseas, I don't want anything stretching the elastic anyway, right?

The boot trees have more vamp support, and some are designed to be easier to get in and out of boots, is all. Don't really know how big a factor either one is...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Doc, I use regular shoe trees with my chukka boots, also with my A-E York zipper boots. So far I have never had occasion to rue the practice.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Like Doc, I use regular shoe trees with my chukka boots, also with my A-E York zipper boots. So far I have never had occasion to rue the practice.
Same here. The boot "shafts" (ankle part, whatever) don't seem to get much wear that would need to be fixed with trees.

J.P. Myhre

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
The most important point with a shoe, or boot tree is to stretch out the sole. If the tree is matching the volume of the shoe, or boot, the upper leather will stretch out and match is position, resting. An ill fitting tree, or a tree which is not made for the shoe, or boot will never be able to stretch out the sole. I therefore recommend my customers to use silk paper, or newspaper instead, unless they change their mind and let me make a tree for them. It is fine to use a shoe tree for an ankle boot, if it is stretching the sole out to the original position!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J.P. Myhre
The most important point with a shoe, or boot tree is to stretch out the sole. If the tree is matching the volume of the shoe, or boot, the upper leather will stretch out and match is position, resting. An ill fitting tree, or a tree which is not made for the shoe, or boot will never be able to stretch out the sole. I therefore recommend my customers to use silk paper, or newspaper instead, unless they change their mind and let me make a tree for them. It is fine to use a shoe tree for an ankle boot, if it is stretching the sole out to the original position!
Ah, an expert, how wonderful! By "stretching out the sole" do you really mean that the most important thing is the length of the trees and filling out the rest of the boot is secondary? And do ill-fitting trees not perform their duty in all footwear or are boots particularly susceptable? I ask because I lie at the junction of two OTR shoetree sizes: so far I've opted for the smaller size and then cover them in socks (as recommended in AAAC) if they seem especially loose.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlike those posted by Christofuh, the Lobbs go up high on the forefoot part too. They are nice.

johnlobbcollection009rr1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics