• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who compliments you more--men or women?

Who compliments you more? Men or Women?

• Men

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Women

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I normally get more compliments from women than men - mostly from women in my office. The most striking one was from a woman whom I didn't know, from another department, but whom shares a bank of elevators with my department. I didn't recognize this woman at all, even from being a familiar face on an elevator, but she complimented me on always looking sharp. I was, in the parlance of our UK brethren, gobsmacked by the compliment - very much from out of left field.

Have you yet performed the Crusty Crouch under the desks of said women?

FillW

Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my line of work, men do not compliment you on clothing...

Women do and that's the most important thing in my eye..

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think she has the hots for ya, UC... heh heh
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

Then she is barking up the wrong tree - the needle on my compass points in the opposite direction.

Have you yet performed the Crusty Crouch under the desks of said women?

My office only has cubicles, which redefine "buzzkill" for all forms of human reproduction (though for the proliferation of deadly microbes, they're quite handy).

Otherwise, please note my previous response above.

CrAz3D

Reaction score
Dudes never used to compliment on how I dressed. When I'm suited up, though, dudes + chicks compliment on my style.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get way more compliments from women.
Most of my friends are engineers though - most engineers truely could not care less for their dress. ;)

Vodking

Reaction score
In my experience, women at work tend to notice the more colourful components of an outfit while men have complemented me on things that look quite heavy and good quality. So by moving towards the SF-approved wardrobe of blues, greys and browns, I'd expect less complements from women. It's rare to find one who appreciates understated style and not matching satin tie/PS sets and shiny polyester suits...

I remember a few months ago, I was wearing a charcoal suit and grey overcoat - both bespoke, Harrisons cloth, and fitted beautifully (I promise!) - along with a cheap old navy tie with pink motifs from Hawes & Curtis. A girl came over and said how nice my tie was. When I got home that evening, I threw it in the bin.

McBindle

Reaction score
I get way more compliments from women.
Most of my friends are engineers though - most engineers truely could not care less for their dress.
wink.gif

Q: How do you recognize the introverted engineer at a party?
A: He stares at his shoes when he talks to you.
Q: How do you recognize the extroverted engineer at a party?
A: He stares at your shoes when he talks to you.

I'm still not sure whether or not this supports the theory that engineers could not care less about how they dress. But there is a difference between staring and seeing.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with engineers is different regarding their attitude, actually I'd think "we" are the most outgoing on the campus compared to the other big schools - maths, physics, chemistry and informatics.
Still most of the people on my (technical) university dress badly because they prefer to spent their time and money otherwise than on clothes.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that I get compliments from both sexes if I wear something colourful such as a bright tie.

However this rarely happens since most of my ties are dark blue, shirts light blue and the suits grey or blue... :)

Snaporaz

Reaction score
I'd say there are numerous factors at play here.

Firstly, although more women are clothes-conscious than men, and many shop for their husbands and even boyfriends, I doubt that many are truly interested in the specifics of menswear. A woman might want a well-dressed partner, but she probably won't lust after EG Westminsters on his behalf. (Christian Louboutins for herself is another matter). So, compliments tend to be either quite general or focused on something particularly colourful or eye-catching.

Secondly, general compliments by a woman are quite tricky if the guy is young. She risks awkwardness or, worse, being somehow rebuffed, whether or not she's interested; and, if she's a little older, there's the added risk that the guy might not even suppose she is.

Last edited:

mhdena

Reaction score
I'm complemented by men and women about equally, men usually complement me for my hats, Beaver Fedoras, Milan and Panamas.
Men also seem to complement gray suits more than women.

Women complement the hats too, and sometimes the shoes. They seem more likely to complement blue suits and ties as well. Also shirts.

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday a middle-aged male cop complimented me on a pair of EG Westminsters

A middle aged cop notices your shoes. :embar:

Is he wondering if you stole the shoes?

If you're selling drugs to pay for the shoes?

Is he offering you his billy club?

Did he stroke your arm? Feel the fabric ?

To answer your question women. But all the clothes do is change the type of woman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads